Unalaska Dutch Harbor, initial release issue

• Aerosoft

Here at Aerosoft we got a history for special and often dangerous airports. Helgoland comes to mind and certainly Lukla counts as one of those. But now we got a new one, Unalaska, Dutch Harbor. Perhaps best known as the home base for the crab fishermen from the Discovery Deadliest Catch series it has and airport where 3 day delays due to weather are common and missed approaches are a standard operating procedure. But not only the airport is special, the surrounding with the many volcanoes is spectacular.

This scenery covers a lot of the area in great detail and comes with a mission that introduces the whole scenery. It's complete, it looks great and yes, with real weather you better load up a LOT of fuel before flying there because your alternate destination might just as well be your departure airport! You will find the products pages here: http://www.aerosoft-...utchharbor.html

If there are any issue you like to discus with us please do so in this topic.

aero_port_harbor_06.jpg

aero_port_harbor_32.jpg

aero_port_harbor_01.jpg

aero_port_harbor_15.jpg

Guest Hodge001

Hi Mathijs

I have only just installed this, but yet to make a flight so the charts are very welcome, thank you for both the scenery package and the additional charts.

Jim Hodkinson

Hi Waleed

Any turboprop will suit really good to Unalaska but ant type of aircraft will fit good to the area. Pen Air flies the Metro III, The SAAB 340 and the Goose to small locations. Alaskan Airlines flies the B737.

I usually fly in the Aleutians (in FSX) and i use a lot of types of aircrafts like the Twin Otter, Catalina, Beaver, dornier DO-27, CRJ, B737, or the Metro III.

Best regards

• Aerosoft

I asked under the old thread, and just noticed this.

What aircraft (other than the 737) are best suited for this, and why.

Thanks.

Personally I prefer the Beaver and Twin Otter for these kind of scenery. Ideally in amphib versions.

Today i made my first flight in Dutch Harbor X and i must say that you've made an incredible job as usual. Congrats to all the team.

Two pictures of today's Unalaska departure. Crosswind takeoff, 16Kts and cloudy.

PADU1.jpg

PADU2.jpg

I bought it too, but I must say I am disappointed.

My two main concerns are:

- the coverage of the area, which seems to include just the immediate surroundings of the town and airfield, and not the entire island of Unalaska. If you take off from runway 30, you see default terrain immediately on the other side of the bay, which is not what I was hoping for. The photoreal has not a tree in sight, while the default is full of them, which makes for strange surroundings. Also, there is nothing much to fly around in and admire...

FX2047.jpg

notice the default textures on the other side of the water?

- the quality of the ground textures. You seem to have used rather low resolution aerial photographs, they look a bit like what you see on Google Earth. Wasn't there anything better available?

FX2034.jpg

FX2023.jpg

FX2025.jpg

FX2050.jpg

Blurry textures everywhere, you need clouds to obscure them....

On the other hand, the weather is usually atrocious, so you won't be able to see anything.

Maybe I am spoilt by the latest offerings from certain competitors, but in all, I'd call it a missed opportunity (or in this case maybe more appropriate, a missed approach).

Sorry about that.

Jan Kees

Hi Yankees

Maybe there is a problem with your surroundings because i do not get any trees in the area. This is what i get as i departure Dutch Harbor bay:

Unalaska Island

padu6.jpg

PADU3.jpg

Near Chernofski

padu4.jpg

Umnak Island

padu5.jpg

I have installed UTX Alaska and GEX so maybe this could be the difference. But looking at your screenshots i think you have GEX too. Did you have any tree enhacer freeware or something like that installed? or did you have GEX textures installed with the Special landclass fix (adds more lush and a rich green variant)?

Best regards

There certainly should not be a single tree in the addon. We've created custom landclass (textures) for the whole area, so it should look even better than UTX Alaska. Maybe something went wrong on your install.

Oh, and your wish for high resolution aerial images covering the Aleutians or at least Dutch Harbor is my wish as well, but we were happy to get what we have now in an area that is more remote than any other part of the U.S. or any part of Europe.

Creating a nice lookin addon is easy if you have 30cm/pixel aerial images, but for 99% of Alaska you can forget about this.

There certainly should not be a single tree in the addon. We've created custom landclass (textures) for the whole area, so it should look even better than UTX Alaska. Maybe something went wrong on your install.

Oh, and your wish for high resolution aerial images covering the Aleutians or at least Dutch Harbor is my wish as well, but we were happy to get what we have now in an area that is more remote than any other part of the U.S. or any part of Europe.

Creating a nice lookin addon is easy if you have 30cm/pixel aerial images, but for 99% of Alaska you can forget about this.

same problem here: http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=34303

no buildings after installing (5 retries lol)

thx

Display or elevation problem on runway 30?

Hi,

On my first take off from runway 30 I've noticed that the static construction vehicles and cars which should appear in front of the buildings at the edge of the runway are being shown at a much reduced scale and at a (apparently) lower elevation than the runway. I have also noticed something similar at the waterside of the runway where the shore textures are bleeding through the runway textures. I'm having trouble posting screenshots at present so hopefully my description is useful.

I run many of the popular bush scenery add-ons (UTX Alaska, Tongass Fjords, FTX PNW etc) but have disabled all of these, both from the scenery library and terrain.cfg etc. To date I hardly have any problems with scenery conflicts (all fixed by changing scenery library priorities) and FSX is usually very well behaved for me! I have also checked for any duplicate PADU airport files and temporarily disabled the couple I found (for UTX and FS Genesis airport elevation fixes for Alaska). None of this has made any difference so I'm out of ideas :unsure:

Any suggestions much appreciated,

Rob W

Rob,

got to \FSX\Scenery\World\Scenery and search for PADU files there. You should have AF2_PADU_DutchHarborX_ALT.BGL - this one is important for the airport to have the right altitude.

Rob,

got to \FSX\Scenery\World\Scenery and search for PADU files there. You should have AF2_PADU_DutchHarborX_ALT.BGL - this one is important for the airport to have the right altitude.

Hi Thorsten,

The file is there as expected (only 1K with apparently minimal data inside). I also have a number of other PADU files for UTX Alaska and FSGenesis airport elevation corrections but disabling these (either by disabling the scenery.cfg entry or directly by renaming the actual BGLs) has no effect. I have also checked in the general locations like \FSX\Scenery\World\Scenery and Addon Scenery but cannot find other obvious files I may have missed.

I have included a screenshot this time:

fsx2010-04-1618-21-53-50.jpg

The problem certainly seems to be elevation based as I have noticed the same effect at other locations on the runway and aprons. The scenery objects appear lower down than my aircraft's position and move with a different perspective than my aircraft position. However, the ground does appear solid as I have not found any location where my aircraft falls through to the lower elevation, even though I can see it. Note that this problem only appears in the confines of the airport and the rest of the scenery appears correctly.

I have not found any similar conflicts with my Tongass Fjords airports (PAPG, PAWG, PASI) even though these also have active UTX Alaska and FSG elevation fix BGLs.

I'm really at a loss to see what is conflicting with PADU, unless there is something in the coding for this add-on that my FSX setup doesn't like!

Thanks for your help,

Rob

It certainly has to do with one of those other addons. Keep disabling them until you find out what it is. UTX should be no trouble, maybe FSGenesis, we haven't tested that. It could also be a traffic addon or something likewise.

Maybe try to deactivate all addons apart from Dutch Harbor and the Aerosoft AFD folder (this one with top priority).

It certainly has to do with one of those other addons. Keep disabling them until you find out what it is. UTX should be no trouble, maybe FSGenesis, we haven't tested that. It could also be a traffic addon or something likewise.

Maybe try to deactivate all addons apart from Dutch Harbor and the Aerosoft AFD folder (this one with top priority).

Fixed.

This one really had me confused :rolleyes: I'd eliminated just about everything and had got to the point where I was about to identify default FSX scenery BGLs in \scenery\world\scenery and try disabling those!

Your final comment about the Aerosoft AFD folder was the cause - it seems that this was not added to my scenery.cfg by the installer, although Dutch Harbour was. It appears the previous poster (Waleed) may have the same problem so perhaps the installer fails to update scenery.cfg in some cases? It might be useful to note what the installer is supposed to do in the product documentation as I've seen this done many times in other products where it's very helpful in confirming a good installation.

Anyway, all working now and I'm off to try some Aleutian flying in my Super Cub :)

Thanks for the feedback, Rob. LEt's hope this is not going to be a common problem, we double-checked the installer about this thing. But there's always a chance that something goes wrong on installation.

Waleed, does this also fix your issue?

Thanks for the feedback, Rob. LEt's hope this is not going to be a common problem, we double-checked the installer about this thing. But there's always a chance that something goes wrong on installation.

Waleed, does this also fix your issue?

I will try it asap and get back to you.