Twin Otter FSX Reverse

BeaverDriver

Good Day,

I seem to have a bit of an issue using reverse thrust on the Twin Otter with the CH Throttle Quadrant in FSX. #1 throttle behaves perfectly as it travels aft of the gate to full reverse. As soon as #2 throttle passes the gate, it jumps to full forward thrust. I have been working with this in FSUIPC to try and eliminate that, but it seems a constant issue. It's only the #2 throttle that is affected. The throttle axis on the yoke itself is disabled so as to not conflict with the THQ throttles. I saw a post a while back regarding a similar issue but with no resolution, during my search here prior to posting. However, the symptoms sounded somewhat different so I thought I would try here with this post to see if anyone has any ideas. Thanks in advance.

Win XP Pro, FSX Acceleration, CH Yoke, THQ and Rudder Pedals

Hello BeaverDriver,

Did you start flightsim using a default Cessna then loading the Twin Otter as this resets all the sims aircraft parameters to default.

OK, back again. I wasn't previously, so tonight I set up the default flight to load the 172, let it load fully and then changed to the Twin Otter. Unfortunately, there was no change. I tried out all the other aircraft I have (default and add-on) that use thrust reverse and the Twin Otter is the only machine that I have the problem with. Now that said, it's not impossible to work around this. What I finally did was set the throttles with "No Reverse" option in FSUIPC, then programmed one of the buttons below the throttles to the F2 command (reverse). That works well for stopping on landing. Where it doesn't work too well is with the seaplane version when you need to turn in a short radius by using reverse on one engine and forward thrust on the other. However, I can still do it by selecting the engine first, but it is awkward.

So, not sure what to do next. If this isn't something others are seeing, then it must be specific to my setup and probably I'll continue to play with it on my end using FSUIPC and see if I can't solve this. If others have seen this, then maybe they have come up with a solution themselves and could post it here.

Thanks much for your time. If you have anything I can try then I'd be happy to give it a go.

Guest Hodge001

Hi

I also must admit to not hearing of this particular issue before with the Twin Otter throttles, I also use FSUIPC for calibrating and axis assignment without any issues for all my aircraft, so I am assuming that you are seeing the full range on the number two throttle axis in FSUIPC, just not actually getting the same result in the cockpit, and that you do have all the FSX axis controls that you are using FSUIPC to control deleted, I only add that as I have forgotten to do this on more than one occasion.

Could I ask what happens if you reverse the throttle assignments and use your existing throttle one lever for throttle two and throttle two axis for throttle one, do you get the same results with this set up.

Now I know that you have probably thought of this but I would also check through all your axis assignments in FSUIPC, even the ones that you do not have assigned to the Twin Otter, as I have a similar set up that includes a joystick throttle axis that I no longer use since I got a full Saitek yoke and separate throttle quadrant, but I have known the supposedly unassigned throttle axis to occasionally interfere with my assigned throttle axis, so it may be worth double checking all your controller axis inputs, including any unused ones, just to see if you have a stray throttle input from your redundant throttle control.

I hope that you can resolve your Twin Otter throttle set up, as I know that water operations with the Twin Otter are a little bit interesting if you can not get your throttles working correctly.

Jim Hodkinson

• Aerosoft

I hope that you can resolve your Twin Otter throttle set up, as I know that water operations with the Twin Otter are a little bit interesting if you can not get your throttles working correctly.

I love a good understatement like the next person, lol. Even with two engines it's hard. Add a bit of wind and docking is the hardest parts of the flight!

When we were doing the Twotter I spend 20 minutes trying to dock a very soft buoy in the middle of a large lake. I did not come close then 20 meters unless it was dead into the wind. The REAL pilot nearly peed his pants watching me sweat. He paid for beers to make it up later. If you ever wonder why those floats are a bit more sturdy then you would expect... that's why.

Guest Hodge001

Hi Mathijs

I guess I am a “the glass is half full” type of person underneath

As for the floats, you know I never really took much notice of the type of construction, but now that you mention it they are a bit on the beefy side, all I can say is that it is a good job that damage modelling in FSX is not up to noticing my attempts at water operations with the Twin Otter, as I certainly would not be allowed to get behind the wheel in the real world, well not twice anyway.

Jim Hodkinson