THE fix for FSX stability

darem

Just a hunch: is your HDD running in ACPI, mode6? When I installed Win7 64bit almost a year ago, my HDD was automatically in mode2 after installing. This gave abnormal slow reactions on my HDD, further aggravated by McAfee, which scanned every single file loaded on the already slow working HDD.

I don't have the world's fastest pc, nor the slowest, but that thing worked like a handbrake on my whole system.

Meh lost the forum 1/2 way through replying! Now heres how we install all your motherboard specific drivers

On the Giabyte website listed above select your OS veriosn then follow these steps:

1. Intel INF installation

Reboot

2. Intel SATA RAID Driver

Reboot

3. GIGABYTE SATA2 Driver

Reboot

5. Marvell RAID Utility (SATA3)

Reboot

4. Marvell Console Driver (SATA3)

Reboot

5. NEC USB 3.0 Driver

Reboot

6. Realtek LAN Driver

Reboot

7. Realtek Function driver

Its essential to reboot after each driver install, give your computer time to start up after each reoboot and prior to installing the next driver.

Hi Tobus, sorry, not sure what you mean :blush: What is mode6? Mode2?

Just a hunch: is your HDD running in ACPI, mode6? When I installed Win7 64bit almost a year ago, my HDD was automatically in mode2 after installing. This gave abnormal slow reactions on my HDD, further aggravated by McAfee, which scanned every single file loaded on the already slow working HDD.

I don't have the world's fastest pc, nor the slowest, but that thing worked like a handbrake on my whole system.

Hello Matt, thanks for your help. Sure, I understand thank you. The problem I have though, is knowing where to update the relevant drivers in device manager 'cos they are not always easy to recognise

Meh lost the forum 1/2 way through replying! Now heres how we install all your motherboard specific drivers

On the Giabyte website listed above select your OS veriosn then follow these steps:

1. Intel INF installation

Reboot

2. Intel SATA RAID Driver

Reboot

3. GIGABYTE SATA2 Driver

Reboot

5. Marvell RAID Utility (SATA3)

Reboot

4. Marvell Console Driver (SATA3)

Reboot

5. NEC USB 3.0 Driver

Reboot

6. Realtek LAN Driver

Reboot

7. Realtek Function driver

Its essential to reboot after each driver install, give your computer time to start up after each reoboot and prior to installing the next driver.

Hello Matt, thanks for your help. Sure, I understand thank you. The problem I have though, is knowing where to update the relevant drivers in device manager 'cos they are not always easy to recognise

In thoery it shud know that the driver is a newer version and do it for you,all you should have to do is install it.

Hey, yummy scrummy guys! :D Life's experience shows me that it won't be that easy :huh: Am I not supposed to run driver cleaner in safe mode before installing any of these? What is Tobus referring to guys... ACPL Mode 6??????

Rocky, the downloads look as if they are exe's so they should do everything for you when you double click the file.

ACPI Advanced Configuration & Power Interface - An attempt to consolidate power and configuration standards. See wikipedia for more.

As for driver cleaner, I cant say Ive ever bothered with it lol

Hi Matt, oops, no change whatsoever I'm afraid. Things are exactly the same. Installed all the latest chipset drivers and the latest GPU driver after a clean driver sweep in safe mode! I have attached a video of the kind of texture delay I am experiencing. Particularly bad with loading the cockpit textures...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=8cR2c54ZIhc

Hi Tobus, sorry, not sure what you mean :blush: What is mode6? Mode2?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ATA

Look at the bottom table, with the speeds of defined transfer modes for HDD's interfaces.

You can find this out per HDD by going to system and looking at the specs of your HDD in Windows. In one of the tabs, the mode in which it is running is stated.

With your board you can most probably get mode6. If it is mode0, or even PIO-0, then your HDD-interface COULD do 133 MB/sec, but WILL do 3.3 MB/sec. This effectively means that every bit of your fast machine is waiting on your HDD (loading textures wink.gif ).

Hi Tobus, thanks for the info. You know, you are talking about something I have never heard of or in fact read about on the forums and that's why I find it so interesting.:) I have completely exhausted every avenue over the past few months, three reinstalls, computer store running checks and checking hardware, benchmark checks, Win updates, driver reinstalls for both OS and hardware, fsx.cfg tweaks galore and still not further on. The delays are far too long to be cfg related, in my humble opinion. There definitely seems to be some kind of hardware bottleneck. As for hardware, I mean sheesh, the rig should fly (no pun intended :P ) Now, I have to apologise, because although I have learned more about computers, OSs, FSX and computer builds in the past six months than I could ever have imagined, I am still nevertheless a newbie. So, forgive me, your suggestions sound exceedingly interesting, Can you humour me and explain in a simple form how I go about checking out what you are suggesting? For example, this has lost me With your board you can most probably get mode6. If it is mode0, or even PIO-0, then your HDD-interface If you don't mind holding my hand :blush: what is my first step?

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Parallel_ATA

Look at the bottom table, with the speeds of defined transfer modes for HDD's interfaces.

You can find this out per HDD by going to system and looking at the specs of your HDD in Windows. In one of the tabs, the mode in which it is running is stated.

With your board you can most probably get mode6. If it is mode0, or even PIO-0, then your HDD-interface COULD do 133 MB/sec, but WILL do 3.3 MB/sec. This effectively means that every bit of your fast machine is waiting on your HDD (loading textures wink.gif ).

That's for PATA, not SATA. SATA I (that "I" is a "one" in this case) can go up to 150MB/s transfer, SATA II can go up 300MB/s transfer, and SATA III can go up to 600MB/s transfer.

Thanks Paul,

I understand that, but I don't think that is what Tobus is talking about is it? As a matter of interest. while checking out things I notice that my CPU is showing as only 2.66Ghz even though I have OC it to 3.8Ghz??? Any ideas what is going on there.

738is_this_right.png

That's for PATA, not SATA. SATA I (that "I" is a "one" in this case) can go up to 150MB/s transfer, SATA II can go up 300MB/s transfer, and SATA III can go up to 600MB/s transfer.

Hi guys, hey, just refreshed it...Hmmmm, it still shows 2.66Ghz:mad:

Anyway windows experience index is the biggest load of bullshit going, second only to fsx tweaks :lol: