THE fix for FSX stability

darem

Well Matt, I will agree, that is pretty impressive! ;)

And speaking of Tachoma Int. This is what my system does with a totally standard fsx.cfg. The only difference in our systems hardware wise is graphics cards. I also have GEX, UXT and REX 2 installed (only enditing is a 50% resize on the image). Enjoy, and marvle at my system building skill :lol:

new_rig.jpg

Proof of the pudding is in the eating, to carry on the analogy. Mebbe the ACES team did know a thing or two about not introducing elements that don't work, which is why they weren't in the RTM to begin with..?

Matt, what are you running texture res at?

One of Nick N's best tips (which seems counter-productive, but isn't, especially with GEX enabled), is to always use 60cm or higher res as this forces vector scenery like roads and rail to display at a higher level of detail into the distance, increasing the effective AF level. If you could sharpen up that road that is angled middle-left to upper left you'd pretty much have a spot-on setup with none of those idiotic faffings of the FSX.cfg...

One other thing that I've also found to be useful on my `challenged` hardware is to set an additional `rate` button to keyboard `0`, right next to the `-` and `+` keys so I can reduce sim rate to 1/2 or 1/4 for short periods to allow processes to `catch up` if things start to blur, but without the `pregnant pause` of actually stopping the sim temporarily. I've found this to be particularly useful for restoring things to sharp relief after a heavy panning session, when you initiate that disappearing/reappearing autogen feature of FSX, as well as a happy little tool for exploring ground features while retaining the feel of flying. In fact, use that AND a zoom out in the VC (initiated of course by the backspace key on the other side of those same `-` and `+` keys) and you've got a useful tuning tool that doesn't have anything to do with messing with hardware, software, graphic card settings or the inner workings of the sim engine. :D

Simon,

My texture resolution is set at 7cm. That blurry road is a bit annoying. Im in the process of fine tuning everything. Christmas is a bad time to build a new computer for FSX lol. The lure of good food and booze is nearly always too great.

I think my next stop is update to the lates firmware for the TH2G and then work on the Nvidia control pannel. Maybe I can get SLI to help remove the blurry road?

Dunno, SLI seems to introduce more problems than it solves with FSX. Try that sim rate trick and see if the road `pops` into sharp relief. If it does then it may simply be an indicator that you are right on the edge of a resources issue and may be a single slider, slid one notch to the left might help - I see very little difference between the mesh appearance when dropped from 70% to 45% for example, when not flying in the mountains.

All worth trying. Though I must admit Im on the verg of buying a 5 series Nvidia card :lol: then putting one of my 260's into my HTPC and possibly using the other as a coaster. Coffee mug rings are a mare to get off my Beech effect desk :blush:

Hey Matt, Snave, you were right, placebo!:blush: I guess we can all 'see' something that we are really desperate to see if someone offers a cure for all. I still continue flying and enjoy FSX immensely, but sadly I have to admit defeat and cannot eradicate the slow loading of textures.:( I have just learnt to live with it, although it is bloody annoying as I've spent a shed load of dosh and time trying to get to the bottom of it. Ah well, c' la vie...

Banging on? We're discussing tweaking fsx the proper way. Rather than by using some Jedi mind tricks :lol:

Absolutely bloody right. And look at what we've concluded: The best way to improve the sim experience is to throw more money at it. In the right way. And eat more pies and drink more sherry...

I think it's a breakthrough! :blush:

Abosbloodylutely!

So heres to ever growing waste lines! And with the VAT hike, faster emptying wallets down the pub, in Tesco and your favourite hardware retailer :lol:

Happy 2011

On the up side I have managed to kick my Sherry habbit! Ive replaced it with single malt scotch although the hangovers are just as bad!

Edit: I think for our services to the Flight Simulator community we should have been honoured in her Maj's New Years Honours List :lol:

Hey Matt, Snave, you were right, placebo!:blush: I guess we can all 'see' something that we are really desperate to see if someone offers a cure for all. I still continue flying and enjoy FSX immensely, but sadly I have to admit defeat and cannot eradicate the slow loading of textures.:( I have just learnt to live with it, although it is bloody annoying as I've spent a shed load of dosh and time trying to get to the bottom of it. Ah well, c' la vie...

The problem with placebo is that it's catching. If YOU hear from others about how beneficial this tweak or that mod is, then you are desperate to see it work for you, too. Multiply that by the `gullible factor` and you have achieved `snake oil`...

The unfortunate reality is that it doesn't work for you because it didn't work for them either. The Emperors new clothes and all that...

Most feel they must be part of the crowd and admire the Emperors style and colour choice.

While there are still a few in this hobby who are happy to say:

"Oi! Kingy! I can see your cockpit from `ere - and that tufting on your back end isn't doing much for your aerodynamics..!" ;)

Swing loose, hang free. DIY.

Abosbloodylutely!

So heres to ever growing waste lines! And with the VAT hike, faster emptying wallets down the pub, in Tesco and your favourite hardware retailer :lol:

Happy 2011

On the up side I have managed to kick my Sherry habbit! Ive replaced it with single malt scotch although the hangovers are just as bad!

Edit: I think for our services to the Flight Simulator community we should have been honoured in her Maj's New Years Honours List :lol:

Y not! the doe-boy got 1! (her maj's cake maker)

ahhh the joys of being smack bang in the middle of 5 cafe's on a saturday morning...£4.50 2 sausages,3 bacon toms/beans,hash brown,black pud mushrooms fried potatoes and...unlimited tea or coffee :coffee_s:..u just cant beat it! :D

Certainly filled me up!

Still doesnt taste as good as home made :lol:

Im also yet to find a decent black pudding this side of the Machester Ship Canal. I used to get very good black pudding from Helens Butchers in Warrington back when I lived up that neck of the woods, those were the days!

Sure, you're on the money when you talk about the emperor's clothes. I think I'll have to get back on track and try to evaluate the hardware, although to be honest, it's been checked, tested, benchmarked and tested again, so not quite sure what direction to go! Maybe FSX is just the way it is with my particular rig and that's what I have to live with.... not quite sure about the Emperor's shoes either!!

Maybe FSX is just the way it is with my particular rig and that's what I have to live with....

The bold bit is where you hit the nail on the head. Theres nothing wrong with your hardware. How come I get sugnificantly better results than you with almost identical hardware all be it with a lesser Graphics card?

Is your hardware faulty? Doubt it, otherwise it wouldnt work at all

Is your techie friend who supposedly checks over your rig at fault? Possibly (I hope you dont pay for his services!)

Personnally, Im still not convinced you have a stable and upto date operating system installed, just call it a hunch I have.

Now what could be causing it? Well I dont know with out being able to sit infront of your screen and have a look at it. Chances are its something to do with drivers, if I was to take a wild guess.

How would I go about fixing it? By sacking the techie person you've been using and doing it yourself (and if you've been paying him/her, take them off your xmas card list too). Its really not all that hard, plus you will also learn something in the process (always rememebr a little knowledge is a dangerous thing lol). All the information on how too install and optimise windows is out there. Nick N's guides on setting up windows are really good, just remember to skip past the NHancer and tweaking fsx.cfg sections. Also remember to use a proper disk defragmenter - unless your rich enough to afford to buy a SSD (thats possibly my next purchase)! Again Nick N's guides on defragging are spot on. If after all that you still have questions then ask :)

/end of sermon

Hi Matt, I really appreciate your input, thanks a bunch. As for drivers etc. I reinstalled Win7 and FSX about five weeks ago and reinstalled all the drivers then, I also stripped the rig to install a replacement GPU cooler, so I'm learning (:P ) I think you're right, I can't see it being hardware. As for cfg tweaks, my experience has been that they're a load of bolony! Sure, they may work for a few, but that has certainly not been my experience. So, new drivers again eh? I admit I did not reinstall all the latest drivers, I simply loaded the motherboard DVD and loaded them from there and did the same with the GPU driver. I know it's supposed to be good protocol to load the latest drivers from the net.... but, I'm going to let you into a secret... I'm a bit of a wooss, as I'm not quite sure what drivers I need, it was so much easier for me to pop a disc in and click install! I know, I know... it's ironic really as I have gained more experience over the past six months than I would ever have imagined. So, if I dare be a bloody big pain and lean on your kind nature Matt, may I ask what drivers do I need? :blush:

The bold bit is where you hit the nail on the head. Theres nothing wrong with your hardware. How come I get sugnificantly better results than you with almost identical hardware all be it with a lesser Graphics card?

Is your hardware faulty? Doubt it, otherwise it wouldnt work at all

Is your techie friend who supposedly checks over your rig at fault? Possibly (I hope you dont pay for his services!)

Personnally, Im still not convinced you have a stable and upto date operating system installed, just call it a hunch I have.

Now what could be causing it? Well I dont know with out being able to sit infront of your screen and have a look at it. Chances are its something to do with drivers, if I was to take a wild guess.

How would I go about fixing it? By sacking the techie person you've been using and doing it yourself (and if you've been paying him/her, take them off your xmas card list too). Its really not all that hard, plus you will also learn something in the process (always rememebr a little knowledge is a dangerous thing lol). All the information on how too install and optimise windows is out there. Nick N's guides on setting up windows are really good, just remember to skip past the NHancer and tweaking fsx.cfg sections. Also remember to use a proper disk defragmenter - unless your rich enough to afford to buy a SSD (thats possibly my next purchase)! Again Nick N's guides on defragging are spot on. If after all that you still have questions then ask :)

/end of sermon

You may dare, though be warned you may not like the answer :lol:

Now if memory serves me right you have the Gigabyte x58a-ud3r motherbaord? Which by the way is frigging awesome. Now I dont know if you have the rev2 of this board or not. The easiest way to check is if you still have the box, the sticker on the left side will tell you (see pic).

If your motherboard is a rev1 board go here and select your operating system

For rev2 boards go here and again select operating system.

As for graphics card driver, go to www.nvidia.co.uk and browse to the driver section. Any more questions please ask. As for now I have a steak wating for me to devour.

post-26298-030323000 1294507460_thumb.jp

So, if I dare be a bloody big pain and lean on your kind nature Matt, may I ask what drivers do I need? :blush:

Lol :lol:

That IS a nice board :lust3_s: ..i want 1!

Southern fried chicken Enroute here :D:P

OK Matt, thanks. So I only need the drivers from the Gigabyte site, no other? Apart from the Nvidia of cousre... ( Hey, I hope you sneak a little black pudding next to yuor steak:D )

Now if memory serves me right you have the Gigabyte x58a-ud3r motherbaord? Which by the way is frigging awesome. Now I dont know if you have the rev2 of this board or not. The easiest way to check is if you still have the box, the sticker on the left side will tell you (see pic).

As for graphics card driver, go to www.nvidia.co.uk and browse to the driver section. Any more questions please ask. As for now I have a steak wating for me to devour.

Yes that pretty much sums up all the drivers you will need. Obviously any other hardware you have (expansion cards if any) you will need to get drivers from their relevant manufacturers. Also what I would also do if you dont have all the recent drivers on your system is a compete fresh install if your brave enough, as I hate removing old graphics drivers fully lol.

OK Matt, I hope you enjoyed your steak :P Now this is where I start to go gaga, I have found that it is Rev 1 by looking on the Motherboard, I'm on the relevent site, on the right page, selected the OS and then I have alist of a whole load of stuff! Do I just need to download the chipset driver, is that all? No, i'm not brave enough to do a fresh install :mad: I am on my third in six months. It took days to do carefully! EDIT I have just spent five minutes looking around device manager and I remembered why I have never bothered with updating chipset drivers before! Where do I look to update the driver? There must be about half a million devices