• Aerosoft

You think it would be a good idea to have profiles in the new sim?

So you log on as a pilot, with it's own logbook, settings, addons (these can be shared by all profiles of course) etc. It will also allow a very simple backup of your tweaks to the sim.

• Upvote 4

Yes. Good idea. And it's great to hear from you, Mathijs. :) We've missed you in this section of the forum.

• Upvote 2

Agree with having profiles. My kids use the sim as well so I don't know what hours are mine or their's. Also it would be nice to have the profile include a modifiable avatar that loads up into the pilot seat as well.

• Upvote 2

You think it would be a good idea to have profiles in the new sim?

So you log on as a pilot, with it's own logbook, settings, addons (these can be shared by all profiles of course) etc. It will also allow a very simple backup of your tweaks to the sim.

Other than having your kids use the sim on the same pc as you I see no other justifications mentioned so far. But how common is this scenario really? Perhaps this could be a "hidden" option until you enable it otherwise it will just end up getting in the way of most simmers.

For those who are saying yes please justify why this feature would be helpful (outside of the kids on the same pc scenario).

Other than having your kids use the sim on the same pc as you I see no other justifications mentioned so far. But how common is this scenario really? Perhaps this could be a "hidden" option until you enable it otherwise it will just end up getting in the way of most simmers.

For those who are saying yes please justify why this feature would be helpful (outside of the kids on the same pc scenario).

My reason is that it could potentially be an easy way to backup my logbook hours, settings, etc.

• Upvote 1

My reason is that it could be visible to other simmers. Say they click on Gaura Mohana --> They see how many hours i have flown, Screenshots from my flights, and Which planes i have.

(sort of like Xbox live I guess)

• Upvote 1

My reason is that it could potentially be an easy way to backup my logbook hours, settings, etc.

This is already very easy to do in FSX. Both the logbook file and your sim settings (including any saved profiles) are in the same folder and backing up them up is a matter of saving the files in a different location.

My reason is that it could be visible to other simmers. Say they click on Gaura Mohana --> They see how many hours i have flown, Screenshots from my flights, and Which planes i have.

(sort of like Xbox live I guess)

Personally I am not sure I would ever want anybody else looking at this type of information but I guess it could be useful in certain multiplayer scenarios.

This is already very easy to do in FSX. Both the logbook file and your sim settings (including any saved profiles) are in the same folder and backing up them up is a matter of saving the files in a different location.

When I installed FSX on my new PC, I lost all of my mission rewards. I was able to transfer the logbook hours and the rewards for my logged hours, landings, etc. But I was not able to transfer any of the rewards not associated with the logbook. Maybe I'm missing something. Is there a way to transfer these?

For me, a profile would not be a big deal, but I see no negative points to it. I do, however, see some minor positive points.

• Upvote 2

Absolutely!

Here's a scenario for you: I like airliners and my brother likes VFR flying. What do we do? We use two separate profiles in AFS2012 -- one optimized for airports and high-altitude performance, the other for low-and-slow sightseeing.

Viola!

• Upvote 2

Yes! I have been thinking lately that it might be a good idea to have training scenarios/packages for the Sim: How to fly a jet: basic/intermediate/advanced etc

Having profiles would allow multiple people to be "in training" or whatever, and also have their own preferred settings for the way they are using the Sim.....

• Upvote 1

I don't care much about user profiles personally. But I would really appreciate the possibility to create profiles for certain types of aircraft.

For example if I could create profiles for GA aircraft, airliners and helicopters and opening such a profile would give me all specific settings: key/control assignments, display/detail settings, realism settings etc.

• Upvote 1

An absolute yes. My reason is because a lot of people have to do a clean reinstall of Windows OS every year or so to optimize their computer's speed, we are forced to spend some time, not only installing the sim and addons but also in tweaking the sim's preferences for optimal use in various tabs. Now, if we only had to drop that ONE config file we saved into it's right sim folder, we wouldn't be spending good time in redoing the system's preferences tweakings.

Happy landings!

• Upvote 1

Great Idea, Yes please

A Great use would be to have one profile for bush flying another for helicopter maybe one for high risk training another of airline flying etc.

Regards and God bless

Alfred

Are we talking about different profiles for different (Windows) user accounts on the same machine? That should be standard, and is kind of enforced anyway by Microsoft's UAC. And in fact, FSX already does that quite nicely. Or are we talking about different 'hats' one and the same person can wear on the same user account? Like being Jane Bush-Flyer today and Jane Jet-Jokey tomorrow? I can't really see the point in that, but that's just me - I'm not using any of the logbook features in FSX anyway. Or are we talking about different configuration settings one can easily choose between, and/or different settings per aircraft that get loaded automatically? That would certainly be useful. Or are we talking about some web service/social network thing where users can log on and share there logged hours? I couldn't care less. Are we talking about something else entirely even?

Judith

I was talking of having a config file for at least each user (in my case, I'd be the only user in my computer anyway), not for each aircraft... I don't see the use in that aspect either.

Happy planning!

Well the parametters of FSX are very different if you fly on a photoreal detailled landscape or a autogen generated on the fly continent. As well it is useless to load 'London FSX' if you fly in the swiss alps.

So my understanding is to be able to select an 'environment' (in FSX terms this is Fsx.cfg, Scenario.cfg, the autogen lookup table, the FEX (REX) environment, the Orbx environment etc) and attach it to a given flight. Etien