FSX on 8 Cores

dmike

A while ago I asked if it was possible to run FSX on 8 cores useing the i7 lines of CPU's.

Udklip.png

A just wanted to tell, that is is possible.

Cheers, and happy 1st April (just to keep people guessing :rolleyes: )

Michael

• Upvote 1

Hi Michael

I spotted the affinitymask=255 setting in your fsx.cfg file. FYI this is exactly the same as not specifying any mask at all. If one is not specified the app will run on all available cores anyway (whether physical or virtual).

I see you have your 930 at 3.9GHz - have you tried pushing it higher with HT disabled? FSX will benefit more from a higher clockspeed across 4 cores as opposed to a lower one across 8.

I do the same with 8 physical cores (2 cpu Intel Quad-Core) (it's not a joke ^_^ ) but I don't get good FPS...

I think it's mainly depending of the Clock frequency (mine are 2.8Ghz) and the memory bus speed (that's why core i7 are better).

If I remember correctly, it was found that FSX really does not take well to logical as opposed to physical cores, and does not work with them correctly, leading to thread collisions and poor performance.