Unable to load flight plan

heightsmite

First, I have to admit that due to time constraints, I will frequently launch a flight with the engines running and all systems engaged, as in right after initial loading. After positioning the plane where I want it, and after converting an FSX plan with the converter tool, I then follow the steps on page 18 & 19. However, while this initially worked for me, the last several attempts didn't. The set-up works fine through the steps on page 18; I have the orange light on in the upper left of the CDU/INS. But, when I left click number one, the plan number I assigned, nothing appears on the data screen. This happened about 5 times in a row (i.e. starting & stopping FSX after each failed attempt). Then, yesterday, it worked once, but I've been unable to get it to load again. This happens whether I choose an FSX-created plan, or one that was converted. I really don't think the plan has anything to do with it since the CDU/INS buttons, though appropriately lit, seen to be unresponsive.

That's one problem.

Also, when I try to convert a plan created with FSBuild, I get the following error:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object. (parse_file::ParseLinesFMC1)

When I create a plan using the FSX planner, before yesterday it loaded OK (didn't need conversion). Also, when I select some plans probably created by one of the many add-on's I have, the plan converts well. NOT with FSBuild, however.

This is with Win7, with admin. permissions. FSX with SP2. In each case, I've been trying to load with the enginges and systems running. It worked for the first several times I did it. I deleted and reinstalled V1.20 twice so far, no luck. I've attached the plan I'm using, unzipped.

Thanks,

Dave

First, I have to admit that due to time constraints, I will frequently launch a flight with the engines running and all systems engaged, as in right after initial loading. After positioning the plane where I want it, and after converting an FSX plan with the converter tool, I then follow the steps on page 18 & 19. However, while this initially worked for me, the last several attempts didn't. The set-up works fine through the steps on page 18; I have the orange light on in the upper left of the CDU/INS. But, when I left click number one, the plan number I assigned, nothing appears on the data screen. This happened about 5 times in a row (i.e. starting & stopping FSX after each failed attempt). Then, yesterday, it worked once, but I've been unable to get it to load again. This happens whether I choose an FSX-created plan, or one that was converted. I really don't think the plan has anything to do with it since the CDU/INS buttons, though appropriately lit, seen to be unresponsive.

That's one problem.

Also, when I try to convert a plan created with FSBuild, I get the following error:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object. (parse_file::ParseLinesFMC1)

When I create a plan using the FSX planner, before yesterday it loaded OK (didn't need conversion). Also, when I select some plans probably created by one of the many add-on's I have, the plan converts well. NOT with FSBuild, however.

Hi Dave,

Problem 1: Did you press the <INSERT> button after selecting the flight number ? You are 100% sure you have a flightplan with the file name "1.pln" in your FSX data directory right ?

Problem 2: ParseLinesFMC1 indicates you have selected the vasFMC flightplan type and not FS9 flightplan type. The Flightplan converter will convert FS9 style flightplans or vasFMC 1.x style flightplans based on the selected type. When you build a flightplan in FSBuilt using the "FSX XML" type export setting then you don't even need to convert the flightplan in the first place, just make sure the filename of the flightplan is a number not the default name that FSBuilt will assign.

Björn

Hi Dave,

Problem 1: Did you press the <INSERT> button after selecting the flight number ? You are 100% sure you have a flightplan with the file name "1.pln" in your FSX data directory right ?

Problem 2: ParseLinesFMC1 indicates you have selected the vasFMC flightplan type and not FS9 flightplan type. The Flightplan converter will convert FS9 style flightplans or vasFMC 1.x style flightplans based on the selected type. When you build a flightplan in FSBuilt using the "FSX XML" type export setting then you don't even need to convert the flightplan in the first place, just make sure the filename of the flightplan is a number not the default name that FSBuilt will assign.

Björn

Hi Bjorn,

Re. #1: Yes, I pressed insert, but mostly without effect. And yes, there was a plan named as you indicate.

Yesterday, I did find that I was unable to load the plan when in KEWR or KMCO (default scenery at KEWR & custom at KMCO). Each time, I created a new plan named "1.pln". When I was unable to load the plan there, I moved the plane to KSEA (default scenery) where I was able to create & load "1.pln" (KSEA-KBOS).

It works at KSEA using the same button pressing that didn't work a few minutes earlier. Really frustrating, especially since I really like this model.

Help.

Dave Skuback

Yesterday, I did find that I was unable to load the plan when in KEWR or KMCO (default scenery at KEWR & custom at KMCO). Each time, I created a new plan named "1.pln". When I was unable to load the plan there, I moved the plane to KSEA (default scenery) where I was able to create & load "1.pln" (KSEA-KBOS).

It works at KSEA using the same button pressing that didn't work a few minutes earlier. Really frustrating, especially since I really like this model.

Hi Dave,

This is really misterious!

The INS/CDU doesn't care a bit where you are at the time you load a flightplan, it simply reads the file and puts the first waypoints into the INS memory. Did you try and set the main rotary switch on the CDU to "DSRTK" (right most position) to make sure the number of the flightplan actually is "1".

When it doesn't work after you press "INSERT", do you still see the green light comming up in the left top corner of the CDU, or is the red "WARN" light on, or what happens exactly ? Does the INSERT button light go out after you press it ?

Can you send me the flightplan that you are trying to load via e-mail so I can check it that's OK ?

Send it to: contact at simchecksoftware dot com

Björn

Hi Dave,

This is really misterious!

The INS/CDU doesn't care a bit where you are at the time you load a flightplan, it simply reads the file and puts the first waypoints into the INS memory. Did you try and set the main rotary switch on the CDU to "DSRTK" (right most position) to make sure the number of the flightplan actually is "1".

When it doesn't work after you press "INSERT", do you still see the green light comming up in the left top corner of the CDU, or is the red "WARN" light on, or what happens exactly ? Does the INSERT button light go out after you press it ?

Can you send me the flightplan that you are trying to load via e-mail so I can check it that's OK ?

Send it to: contact at simchecksoftware dot com

Björn

I sent you an email with two plans; one works & the other doesn't.

Yes, the two rotaries were positioned as you say, and number 1 showed in the FP area. After pressing insert at KEWR, the status light simply stays orange, as if the key press were dead. When at KSEA, the same steps work very well.

Dave Skuback

I sent you an email with two plans; one works & the other doesn't.

Yes, the two rotaries were positioned as you say, and number 1 showed in the FP area. After pressing insert at KEWR, the status light simply stays orange, as if the key press were dead. When at KSEA, the same steps work very well.

Dave Skuback

Hi Dave,

Bjorn sent me both flight plans this evening to test. The 1st thing I had to do was remove the tutorial flight which is also called 1.pln.

After copying both files over both plans loaded without issue on my Win 7 system at KEWR.

It might be worth deleting both plans from the FSX file area then copying them back in to see if that solves the issue. It may simply have been a clash with the tutorial flight.

It is as Bjorn says really strange as you should be able to load the plans from any airport.

Please let me know how you get on smile.gif

Hi Dave,

Bjorn sent me both flight plans this evening to test. The 1st thing I had to do was remove the tutorial flight which is also called 1.pln.

After copying both files over both plans loaded without issue on my Win 7 system at KEWR.

It might be worth deleting both plans from the FSX file area then copying them back in to see if that solves the issue. It may simply have been a clash with the tutorial flight.

It is as Bjorn says really strange as you should be able to load the plans from any airport.

Please let me know how you get on smile.gif

Thanks for looking, Steve.

I'll keep playing around with it and let you know if I find anything interesting.

Dave Skuback

• 1 month later...

Thanks for looking, Steve.

I'll keep playing around with it and let you know if I find anything interesting.

Dave Skuback

I am suffering the same problems, I cannot even get it to load the tutorial flight :-(. Also, I have bought the CD version, how do I get the ver. 1.2 upgrade, I have registered the product today.

I am suffering the same problems, I cannot even get it to load the tutorial flight :-(. Also, I have bought the CD version, how do I get the ver. 1.2 upgrade, I have registered the product today.

Hi,

The CD version is version 1.20!

Please describe what you are doing exactly when you try to load the tutorial flight so we can check that you are not skiping a step or doing something in the wrong order.

Björn

Hi,

The CD version is version 1.20!

Please describe what you are doing exactly when you try to load the tutorial flight so we can check that you are not skiping a step or doing something in the wrong order.

Björn

Hi

I bought the CD from Amazon, so wasn't sure if it was the latest. But as far as the loading flights goes, I have the flight 1.pln in 'my documents/fsx files' (or what ever it is). When I try to use the flightplan converter, I get a message similar to the one above might be the same, but I can double check that in a bit. I have tried using the 1.pln in both the original location under the folder in FSX itself, and after copying it to the my documents folder. I thought maybe that the tutorial flight might already have been converted, so I tried a flight but I think I am having exactly the same problem as Dave the OP mentioned.

Thanks for the quick reply, I am working in a few hours, but if you have any ideas I can try them and see if they work I will let you know if they are effective.

Regards

But as far as the loading flights goes, I have the flight 1.pln in 'my documents/fsx files' (or what ever it is).

-> This is fine

When I try to use the flightplan converter, I get a message similar to the one above might be the same, but I can double check that in a bit.

-> There is no reason to convert as the flightplan is in the correct format already

I have tried using the 1.pln in both the original location under the folder in FSX itself, and after copying it to the my documents folder. I thought maybe that the tutorial flight might already have been converted, so I tried a flight but I think I am having exactly the same problem as Dave the OP mentioned.

-> The only location the panel will lok for the flightplan is the default flightplan folder used by FSX so that's the one in the my documents folder under "Microsoft Flight Simulator X files"

I don't think the problmem is related to the flightplan or the lcoation of the flightplan but rather to the way you are trying to load the flightpan into the INS.

STEPS

1. On the left CDU set the main rotary switch to DSRTRK/STS

2. Set the waypoint selector to waypoint "1" (should not be on "0" because that will cause an error as you can not load waypoints into the INS "0" memory location)

3. With the right mouse button click on the number "1" on the same CDU ==> The orange light in the left top corner of the CDU should go on, this means that the CDU is ready to load a flightplan number

4. With the left mouse button click again on the number "1" to enter the number of the flightplan you are loading ==> The number "1" should be visible now on the right main display of the CDU, orange light is still on

5. Now click with the left mouse button on the "INSERT" button ==> This will load the flightplan into the CDU and switch the CDU into "flightplan" mode, the little light on the left top of the CDU should turn green now

As you are still showing DSRTK/STS you should also the ID of the first waypoint displayed in the right CDU display now.

That's it !

As long as the green light is on the CDU is running through the flightplan, the light will go off after the last waypoint in the flightplan is loaded and the red "WARN" light will go on. To turn the red light off, simply click it with the left mouse button.

If you enter a non-existing flightplan number the light on the left top corner of the CDU will not turn green, also if you load a flightplan with only a few waypoints (e.g. 6) and the complete flightplan is loaded in 1 go (you have 9 memory locations) then the green light will not go.

Björn

-> This is fine

-> There is no reason to convert as the flightplan is in the correct format already

-> The only location the panel will lok for the flightplan is the default flightplan folder used by FSX so that's the one in the my documents folder under "Microsoft Flight Simulator X files"

I don't think the problmem is related to the flightplan or the lcoation of the flightplan but rather to the way you are trying to load the flightpan into the INS.

STEPS

2. Set the waypoint selector to waypoint "1" (should not be on "0" because that will cause an error as you can not load waypoints into the INS "0" memory location)

3. With the right mouse button click on the number "1" on the same CDU ==> The orange light in the left top corner of the CDU should go on, this means that the CDU is ready to load a flightplan number

4. With the left mouse button click again on the number "1" to enter the number of the flightplan you are loading ==> The number "1" should be visible now on the right main display of the CDU, orange light is still on

5. Now click with the left mouse button on the "INSERT" button ==> This will load the flightplan into the CDU and switch the CDU into "flightplan" mode, the little light on the left top of the CDU should turn green now

As you are still showing DSRTK/STS you should also the ID of the first waypoint displayed in the right CDU display now.

That's it !

As long as the green light is on the CDU is running through the flightplan, the light will go off after the last waypoint in the flightplan is loaded and the red "WARN" light will go on. To turn the red light off, simply click it with the left mouse button.

If you enter a non-existing flightplan number the light on the left top corner of the CDU will not turn green, also if you load a flightplan with only a few waypoints (e.g. 6) and the complete flightplan is loaded in 1 go (you have 9 memory locations) then the green light will not go.

Björn

So I can just use a .pln created in FSX or vroute to create a plan for this aircraft?

-> This is fine

STEPS

That's it !

Björn

I unintalled and reinstalled FSUIPC, now it seems to work. Thanks again