Twin Otter RPM problem

Zgredd

Hello, I have the following problem.

When I'm starting the engine, RPM goes to 100% despite throttle is 0%. After few seconds RPM goes down.

This was on Win XP.

Now, on Win 7 x64 right engine do the same, but left remains on 100%.

:(

What control device are you using? How many throttles? Is it a stick or a yoke? The only thing I can recommend is check you control axis assignments to see if there is a miss assigned axis, i.e.: Throttle miss assigned to Spoilers or Mixture control miss assigned to Throttle 4.

I use Saitek X52.

It seems everything is configured well because this problem concern Twin Otter only.

So as I understand, while starting the engine, RMP shouldn't rise to 100%, even for a short moment?

The RPM always maxes out on start up.

Now, on Win 7 x64 right engine do the same, but left remains on 100%.

Did you make sure the left engine starter was turned off?

There's the fix, starters off at 50%

Hi guys,i have the same problem when i start the Twin Otter, But i found if I put the mix fuel levers to a middle possition and not fully forward, i do not get this RPM behavior and if i get it is just a little. Try it works for me.

Regards

Hi guys,i have the same problem when i start the Twin Otter, But i found if I put the mix fuel levers to a middle possition and not fully forward, i do not get this RPM behavior and if i get it is just a little. Try it works for me.

EDIT: I just saw that Paul G has gave you a much precise answer.

Regards

Hello Folks,

This issue has been mentioned and answered numerous times before.

Maybe a search will help you find some of the posts.

I was searching but couldn't find any helpful information.

Paul G -> I don't know why and how, but now RPM goes down after few seconds.

You wrote: "The RPM always maxes out on start up. .

I was watching a few movies on youtube and I got the feeling that in real RPM dosen't increase to 100%.

And how to startup plane on water? ;) No brakes...

• 2 months later...

I have done a search for the advertised fix in this thread and I couldn't find it. Could someone please explain how to start the Twin Otter on land, water and show without the aircraft lurching forward?

Thanks. Is this the official response from Aerosoft that was mentioned above?

I can't go to 11% reverse thrust fast enough. I have tried starting the engines with reverse thrust but they still go full throttle and then reverse.

Reverse thrust is not automatic. To program it with Saitek throttles you program a button in FSUIPC to decrease throttle and repeat while held. This produces a very accurate feel for most aircraft as increase/decrease in thrust is gradual and not instantaneous.

Although this may work in some situations, I can't see how it is a fix or the proper way to start the engines.

I am not the only one that has this issue. Other people have confirmed the problem at AVSIM.

Hello Duckbilled,

As I say they may have tried and failed as it may have ruined the other areas of the power range. I really dont understand much of this though but I'm sure they would have done it if it could have been.

I suspect that this annoyance has its roots in the MS-FSX default code for turboprops, since the same problem with rev-up on starting as well as forward travel on idle on the Pilatus Porter amphib, and the ported over Cessna Grand Caravan amphibian. In both of these you have to feather or reverse thrust to stay still with the power running.

That all makes sense.

I guess what I am finding puzzling is that the person that did the FDE for it isn't chiming in. As much as I appreciate the input, I am looking for support from the entity that created the add on.

The title of the forum is the "MS FS - Aircraft Discussions & Support"

Do I need to start a new thread to receive support from the creator?

Thanks

That all makes sense.

I guess what I am finding puzzling is that the person that did the FDE for it isn't chiming in. As much as I appreciate the input, I am looking for support from the entity that created the add on.

The title of the forum is the "MS FS - Aircraft Discussions & Support"

Do I need to start a new thread to receive support from the creator?

Thanks

Nowhere in the EULA, manual or anywhere in the purchase process is it stated that support is supplied by the `entity` that created the addon. That is not how support works.

As it happens, the Twotter has been in the market for some time, and this issue has been discussed at length on several occasions. Please try all the solutions recommended in those topics (available by using the search entity) and then report back with the results.

As others have pointed out, the probem is that the FSX turboprop flight model is actually LESS advanced in FSX than it was in FS9 in some areas. The compromises that need to be made to give the correct speed and proportions of throttle response in the normal flight regimes can cause problems elsewhere, but with the workrounds given most can find a satisfactory compromise.

If you can't then only once you've tried all those workrounds will you be able to tell us, and us assist you further... assuming of course that you can accept that your support does not come from the creative deity, but mere customers and minions. The alternative is...

SILENCE

...the FSX turboprop flight model is actually LESS advanced in FSX than it was in FS9...

I think the helicopter dynamics are more advanced in FS9 too :wacko: and this is coming from a pilot who's had FSX longer than FS9, 0% success rate at maintaining flight in a helo in FS9. :wacko: