Aerosoft Airbus X - Preview

I didn't mention airspeed in my method, just "speed". Of course to apply groundspeed makes the calculation more precise. I just didn't want to be too detailed. It's like to difference between flight-level and feet AGL which I mentioned. If the altitude you're aiming for is expressed in feet AGL and the altitude you're leaving is expressed in FL you have to convert that FL to feet AGL in the first place to be precise.

But the difference in the resulting fpm descent rate isn't too much in reality. (I agree that the resulting difference between correctly applying groundspeed and airspeed can be substantially more with a lot of wind. And, of course, the lower the speed, the bigger the difference.)

And remember: You don't have to be exact to the last foot per second. First of all every change in the wind during the descent will affect the descent path much more. And if you dial the descent rate in manually you don't have 1 fps increments. The increments in fps descent rate to be chosen of are higher, each 20 or 50 fps for instance. So there's not much use for the difference in the result between 1833 and 1837 fps descent rate.

Hey, I agree completely. If there's a much simpler way to do it that gets you almost as close, use it, especially given the things you mention. I guess I entered nerd mode and was a little too excited about precision, heheh. The first planes I developed for were modern military fighters though, where steep flight path angles are pretty common, so I had to be pretty precise with those, as groundspeed and airspeed could vary pretty wildly. (Old habits dies hard I guess ;-) What's also neat is that more and more civilian planes are allowing the autopilot to lock to an actual descent ANGLE, not just a rate, so hopefully that first little calculation will be useful to someone....

Okay, now I'm gonna go find that old spreadsheet.... (Haha, no not really.) You'll be happy to know that with it, I got lazy and rounded the descent rates only to the nearest half of a foot. (OK, actually 10's of feet....)

It's easy.. you pick your top of descent at a distance of 3x the change in Flight Level + 10 miles for slow down. This should be done for the first crossing restriction. So if crossing is 10,000 at 250 knots and I'm at 36000. Thats FL360-FL100 which is a change of 26,000 feet. So 3x26 + 10 miles for your correct TOD which should be earlier than the actual TOD almost 20 miles earlier.

As for the descent speed itself... it's constantly changing but it's 5x your indicated ground speed. So if my ground speed is at 450 knots my descent rate is 2250fpm at 400 it becomes 2000fpm, and so on. It's pretty much the same descent rate as the ILS. 150 knots = 750FPM..

For people who can read French, a FREE ( :wub::blink::wub: ) 850 pages manual on the A320 systems is now online.... a nice way to prepare the arrival of the Aerosoft bus !

This manual is simply amazing... it's not a tutorial but a complete explanation of the aircraft systems from FBW to the toilet flush system !!

Just found the news and link at :

http://www.pilote-virtuel.com/viewtopic.php?id=17884

• Aerosoft

From what I understand, this simple means: "Come on, you stupid but loyal customers - pay for the shit of the pirates! We'll raise the price of our products in order to do some harm on 'em and because we don't have any other means to fight the piracy but raising the price! We don't care about the pirates - you, loyal customers, will pay for 'em anyway".

You put words in my mouth I did not say. And your interpretation of what I said is simply incorrect.

But in essence it is very simple, piracy costs money, and as we only got one source of income for these products, customers, it's customers who pay for it. When pirates 'take care' of the low end market, it becomes interesting for us to aim for a more dedicated customer. See it the other way around, if there would be no piracy we would undoubtedly lower prices as the additional sales would more then make up for it. But do loyal customers pay for the damage of piracy? Yes. you do so with any software, movie, music etc.

• Upvote 6

Okay, now I'm gonna go find that old spreadsheet.... (Haha, no not really.) You'll be happy to know that with it, I got lazy and rounded the descent rates only to the nearest half of a foot. (OK, actually 10's of feet....)

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

Hello there!

In order to have an idea about the technical level of the product, coul'd that be possible to release a short video

of an engine start-up sequence (mainly an ECAM/WD-SD view) or a take-off roll?

Thank you!

I will do one next weekend.

• Upvote 3

• Aerosoft

Sharrow,I am impressed with the level of authenticity of this sim and will have to think of a few other bus idiosyncrasies to test you on.Here are a few ,if you extend the landing lights above 250 kt what happens?If the altimeters on each side of the cockpit pressure setting differ what happens?

Does the RAT work?

I did not find any max landing light extension speed in the documents we have, there also does not see a ECAM message for that. You got information on that?

We don't spend a lot of time on cockpit pressure as this is not a parameter of the sim itself and we do not like to fake too much. We do not feature the RAT, as far as we know there has only been one incident in several decades of Airbus operations where the RAT was extended (and even then it was not actually needed). So simulating this has a very very very low importance for us. I know other companies do this different, but we really try to simulate the work environment of the PNF and not attempt to do a full simulation of the A320 systems.

The table does work of course!

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

Wow, that first night shot is incredible. I just love the lights on the runway, looks just like the real thing.

Curt

We are VERY proud of the lighting on this aircraft. Even things like the runway turn-off lights are included.

• Upvote 3

• Aerosoft

Nice shots. I have 2 questions. 1) I have noticed that the boxed version is only for sale in USA and Canada. Is there any way it can be shipped to other countries?

2) With regards to complexity, I have read this is made for "easy simming" , not too complex. I would like to know, will you be able to discharge squibs and pull the fire handles if you progam an engine fire?

Regards

Birdman

The box will be available all over the world, think it is just added first to the US shop. Don't worry.

We are not sure on the fire handles, making them work is not hard, but the whole chain of things related to that are very hard. Pretty sure this is outside our product description for this.

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

Does this aircraft determine the position of the GPS satellites so it knows how many are actually overhead?

Otherwise I will nut buy it.

Well then you will not buy it.

FSX does not have any satellites and to start simulating full orbital paths for the GPS sattelites is slightly beyond what we have in mind. Sure we could fake it and put a number between 7 and 11 somewhere, but if that's what you want in a aircraft addon I would kindly suggest you look elsewhere. Not a lot of addons that have it so you will nt have many addons!

• Upvote 6

• Aerosoft

It's easy.. you pick your top of descent at a distance of 3x the change in Flight Level + 10 miles for slow down. This should be done for the first crossing restriction. So if crossing is 10,000 at 250 knots and I'm at 36000. Thats FL360-FL100 which is a change of 26,000 feet. So 3x26 + 10 miles for your correct TOD which should be earlier than the actual TOD almost 20 miles earlier.

As for the descent speed itself... it's constantly changing but it's 5x your indicated ground speed. So if my ground speed is at 450 knots my descent rate is 2250fpm at 400 it becomes 2000fpm, and so on. It's pretty much the same descent rate as the ILS. 150 knots = 750FPM..

Right!

Of course often you follow other aircraft and you get the order from ATC to change FL.

• Upvote 1

Guest cmjA320

The landing light extension does not have a published speed limit,but if they are extended above 250kt there is a rumble through the aircraft.If you do extend them in the descent above 250kt you lose about 3kt off your indicated airspeed.We call them illuminated air brakes!!

• Upvote 1

Since this version does not have vertical profile calculation, can someone explain me in easy way how to calculate the rate of decent? For example to certain way point left 40nm, I'm on FL250 and should pass tis way point at 7000 feet, what should be rate of decent? Thank you.

Rule of three and five; Three times distance and five times ground speed. FL250 - 7,000 is an 18,000ft descent. Start your descent 3 times 18 = 54NM from target, and if your ground speed was 400 knots, 5 * 400 = 2000ft/min descent rate.

• Upvote 4

Guest Rustam

Is it something in the water or what!? What's with all these people admitting that they illegally download copyright material, in effect admitting they are thieves in a public forum!? :blink:

Rustam, I have no doubt that Mathijs would not have you as a customer even if you paid him.

The times they sure are a changin...

Well, yes, I do download addons (not only related to FS) and check their quality regularly! Again, I pay for software I really like - not for shit.

But if you prefer buying smth that even doesn't have a proper description - you must be a courageous customer! :D

• Upvote 2

• Aerosoft

Well, yes, I do download addons (not only related to FS) and check their quality regularly! Again, I pay for software I really like - not for shit.

But if you prefer buying smth that even doesn't have a proper description - you must be a courageous customer! :D

Sir, that makes you a criminal. And you post here that you break the law regular. You got big cahones or a very small brain.

You sir are not welcome here, so we banned you. We got a problem with rodents you see.

And from this moment on all messages not related to the Airbus X will simply be deleted and the poster will get a +1 on the warn score.

• Upvote 11

Good, now that we are back on topic, does FSX support cockpit shadows? If it does, will the Aerosoft Airbus X have them? I think you might have mentioned this before, but I couldn't find it.

• Aerosoft

I'm extremely worried that the painters are using the "Captain Sim" dull/horrible methods vs the quality of PMDG, Quality-Wings & Project Airbus versions with their sharp and vibrant paints. The model has the best virtual cockpit and exterior detail I've ever seen in FSX but the repaints look rather dull with no alpha. :(

Some high-end and well-known painters (worked with quality-wings, etc) had an interest in working with your group, what happened? Sorry about the critical post but I and others want the best quality Airbus for flightsim. :)

I hope these paints are are only alpha/beta and not final release versions...Darryl

Oh I don't see this as a critical post at all. Think you are quite right.

But first of all, alpha to mean a lot. See an alpha layer is a control layer and it can do many things, we use it for transparency and specular lighting, but other developers use it for other things. Our paintkit offers the repainters the complete option, there is technically nothing to stop them from doing it exactly as we do. Of course HOW they do it and how it will end up depends a lot on the skill level. It's not easy with so many layers on top of each other. We will have a word with the repainters before release.

At this moment I halted the repaint program from our site because of the piracy issue. But I am sorting this out.

• Upvote 4

• Aerosoft

Good, now that we are back on topic, does FSX support cockpit shadows? If it does, will the Aerosoft Airbus X have them? I think you might have mentioned this before, but I couldn't find it.

We are not sure of we are going to activate that option. The problem is that with the level of detail in the VC shading can make it a lot slower, and the users can not control it (unlike the shadowing on the external model that is an option the user can set). In the Catalina we deactivated it as it almost cut fps in half, that's the problem you get to in this level of detail. All that makes use of the modeling gets far more resource intensive. We see solid FPS as one of the highest goals in this project.

• Upvote 3

We are not sure of we are going to activate that option. The problem is that with the level of detail in the VC shading can make it a lot slower, and the users can not control it (unlike the shadowing on the external model that is an option the user can set). In the Catalina we deactivated it as it almost cut fps in half, that's the problem you get to in this level of detail. All that makes use of the modeling gets far more resource intensive. We see solid FPS as one of the highest goals in this project.

Thanks for the fast reply. I'm fine with it not having shadows, the VC looks beautiful anyways. I just wasn't sure if it was possible in FSX. The more FPS the better I always say, especially on a computer like mine. :lol:

• Aerosoft

Those lighting effects do look incredible, well done. Projects like this are making it very hard for me to stay faithful to FS9!

Yes, where scenery did not make a huge leap between FS9 and FSX, aircraft design did. We could not even compile 1/3 of the Airbus X to FS9 before the compiler would crack. And we also get fare better FPS in the VC then in FS9. The lights are a big step forwards, certainly as they actually work. You can honestly taxi over an airport without any scenery lights as everything in the light beams will show up. This morning I was testing it in Dutch Harbor X (I know very short runway but I had to test it anyway) and I got a sea gull in the landing lights. Stunning, to slow to make a screenshot.

Yet if systems and large airports are your fancy then FS9 still has a lot to offer.

• Upvote 2

Considering the market you are aiming this bus at, I would venture to say that if VC shadows cost any frame rates at all, then it would be better to leave them out . After all, the chances are that the average user for this product is not going to have a cutting edge machine capable of running FSX with all its bells and whistles. They are more than likely to have an average machine where they are already having to compromise on one or two settings in FSX to get the best experience out of the sim that they can so if it cant be user controlled then its best left out in my opinion..

• Upvote 1

In reference to VC night lighting.

Recently beta Tester, Vorjab, kindly posted some shots of VC lighting at night, P21, post #406

Yes he encouraged users to observe the pics in a sympathetically subdued environment and again made it clear that it was only a Beta preview, quite rightly. Thanks Vorjab for those btw.

However is it just me, or do I think the mood and atmosphere of the warm tones in an earlier preview picture, posted by Mathijs, on the first page of a previous thread- Aerosoft Airbus X (see the thumbnails) are more evocative of a darkened flight deck at night time? I think I even prefer the red backlit MCP!

http://www.forum.aer...opic=31804&st=0

Maybe it's a case where the pursuit of accuracy conflicts with the designers sense of artistry? Personally I'd go with the softer warmer tones. Hmmm, nice.

Guest AngelsAndAirwaves

what about the cockpit, engines, wind etc sounds? are they as realistic as a real airbus sounds?