Aerosoft Airbus X - Preview

How much resistance is in the Airbus 'side stick' when I have seen video footage of the Airbus and the pilots do they control checks some pilots rest they hand on top of the stick and move it left to right which seems to me there is little resistance in fact it looks very lose maybe oil damped? I have the Logitech Extreme 3D pro joystick and it can be quite stiff to move also not trying to twist (rudder) at the same time can be a pain :rolleyes:  

• Upvote 2

One must remember current aircraft are not stable in cruise. They were all essentially meant to be flown by computer during cruise never by the pilot itself. Otherwise you don't get the benefits of having an unstable aircraft in the first place, which is fuel economy, extendend range, extended manouvering. This definitely defines the FD and AP's role. Given that FBW is the optimal choice for linking the control surfaces to these computers, it's surprising Boeing held out for so long on their commercial products when it's already in the advanced fighter aircraft. This is further complicated then by the communication links are all done by the same digital bus standard.

So what really is a FBW plane if the entire concept of FBW has nothing to do with control surface linkages? Especially in flight sim where all boeing aircraft have fbw linkages like it or not. To find the difference between Airbus and Boeing planes does not define FBW, both aircraft are unstable by design both nead the same set of identical systems in the end.

• Upvote 2

Mathijs have any of your testers flown the sim single engine or both engines working in a strong gusty crosswind?

Im not exactly a tester, but i did experiment with all types of winds. The A32x handles really well. It gets tricky to land, but thats to be expected...

• Upvote 4

We're not big on failures. They take a huge amount of time, money and effort to make, are a bitch to debug and our market research lead us to believe they impress customers more on feature lists then in actual use. To make them realistic also means you would most likely never see them. If our average customer flies the bus 2 hours a week, how long do you think he got to fly on average to get his first generator failure? The answer is 221 years. Other failures are even more rare, Engine fires would happen every 500 years or so. Customers who want failures want very unreliable aircraft, lol. The ECAM pages are pretty good, we got around 250 messages in it now. I know there are a hundreds more but if they link to failures we don't fully handle, what good are they?

And you will be offered a low cost update if you got the first release. But keep in mind that even the enhanced version will most likely not go as far as some PMDG projects. Just a matter of principle there, we really do not see the need to have 12 climate control zones and a fully functional 'ditching' switch when FSX does not allow ditching. I know some customers will want to see an minute increase in amp load when the 'feet warmer' switch is on but that's a bit to close to fully flushing toilets for me.

I love the PMDG range that I have, the MD11 in particular, but I do not use its failure module at all... My time "in sim" is too limited currently to get into that aspect. I am glad to be able to fly on real aircraft that don't have failures occurring every flight :D

I thank you for your second paragraph, made me laugh this morning! :) I am also one of those who see FS as a flight simuator and not aircraft cabin simulator. If there is ever a function on an addon to switch off the virtual cabin, it is one of the first to be switched...

I fly the plane from the left and right seats up front, not from 4A or whatever... :)

If I want wing views, I book a flight...

I know we all have different tastes and wishes, that is what makes us all special. At the end of the day, we as customers decide ultimately if the systems and objects modelled are enough for us or not with our credit cards...

I am sure this will be a fun plane to fly and look forward to the systems upgrade as well...

Andrew

• Upvote 2

At the same time we got the professional version to complete. We are on hold for that now as we wait for some info so we are back to working on the FSX version at this moment, but it could be different at 08:00 tomorrow. But in all honesty I would say we need at least 2 weeks at this moment.

The proffesional version, is that the one you talk about that might be released this summer with more systems working, or?

• Upvote 2

The proffesional version, is that the one you talk about that might be released this summer with more systems working, or?

No, that's the 'more complex' or 'extended' version. The 'professional version' isn't for FSX but a 'real sim' for a 'real company'. I am sure that version will cost a bit more than 30 euro's... :P

• Upvote 1

And something tells me it might require a little bit more than a PC to run on... :D

Now, how much is the average Level D sim these days???

Andrew

• Upvote 2

• Aerosoft

Mathijs: I know this is probably an early version of the documantation you are showing here but there are a couple of typos in it that you may not be aware of. On the After Start Checklist, the Wing Anti Ice reads AR RQRD rather than AS RQRD and on the Taxiing checklist, the EXT LT reads AR RQRD instead of AS RQRD. Also on the lighting diagram there doesnt seem to be any mention of wing lights but the switch is shown on the panel without an ID number? Also while I am here, can you confirm if you are still intending to release laminated checklists to be made available for those who buy the download version? I did ask before but I think my question must have been drowned out in the forum hubub.

I know about the typos, this is work in progress.

Not 101% sure on the printed sheets, waiting for a quote from the printer on that.

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

How much resistance is in the Airbus 'side stick' when I have seen video footage of the Airbus and the pilots do they control checks some pilots rest they hand on top of the stick and move it left to right which seems to me there is little resistance in fact it looks very lose maybe oil damped? I have the Logitech Extreme 3D pro joystick and it can be quite stiff to move also not trying to twist (rudder) at the same time can be a pain :rolleyes:

I believe there is about 15 degrees of deflection and it is rather soft on the real Airbus.

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

No, that will be the 'extended' version. Now other add-on builders might call products for FSX 'professional' but we rather keep that for the real professional, non hobby products, lol.

• Upvote 2

• Aerosoft

And something tells me it might require a little bit more than a PC to run on... :D

Now, how much is the average Level D sim these days???

Andrew

The one we work with this Airbus for is actually PC based, but it needs around 20 PC's in total. It's what is called COTS (Common Of The Shelf) based. You can have one, with a very very nice display system for around 3 million of our good old Euro's.

• Upvote 3

You can have one, with a very very nice display system for around 3 million of our good old Euro's.

That's some one hundred thousand times more than Airbus X.

And it definitely is NOT one hundred thousand times better.

So which is the best bargain? :D

• Aerosoft

So what really is a FBW plane if the entire concept of FBW has nothing to do with control surface linkages? Especially in flight sim where all boeing aircraft have fbw linkages like it or not. To find the difference between Airbus and Boeing planes does not define FBW, both aircraft are unstable by design both nead the same set of identical systems in the end.

You know I am not sure about that last statement. I actually believe all airliners that fly at this moment have inherent stable flight models (meaning that they will stabilize) without the need of computers. I will go even further and say there is no civil aircraft that does not have an inherent stable flight model.

I also think that most Boeing aircraft will fly and got some control without any electrical source, something not true of the Airbus of course. Both aircraft have tanks over the engines so even without fuel pumps the engines will continue to run. Perhaps one of the more knowledgeable people here could comment on this?

• Upvote 2

Guest cmjA320

The 320 family will fly "hands off" in direct law and normal law.We also fly it sometimes in mechanical back up in the simulator.This is when all the fbw has failed and you are left with engine thrust and the rudder and stab.

• Upvote 2

how many switches and buttons can be switched/pushed(pulled) in this airbus (how many on the overhad, the ap control panel, and so on...)

• Upvote 2

Mathijs: yeah the term unstable can be a little strong when describing what's actually going on. It especially sounds like a weird concept when all civilian GA craft are stable, I especially agree on that. But it really is a trade off between 100% stability in the pitch axis, for another more desired property of flight. But I'd love to hear more from pilots myself.. technically being unstable is one thing, but a pilot with 1000's of hours at the control is another story.

That must be great!

It reminds me of UAL232. But time, knowledge and technology have gone a long way ever after.

yes, must be really great to do something like that in a real sim!!!

just a little thing on the united 232: do you know that many pilots tryed flying that flight in an simulator and no one was able to do what the crew of this dc10 made

it's really shit that they crashed just a few seconds befor they landed in sioux city :(

but after this accident the technology to fly without hydraulic/fbw (it gave a technologie wich that the pilots only have to say the ap what to do and the autoflight handels the engines then and so the aircrafts can fly without the main flightcontrols) got no clearence from the ICAO. they sayed that there is no need for an system for such rare accident... so we don't have those technologies today.

Mathijs: yeah the term unstable can be a little strong when describing what's actually going on. It especially sounds like a weird concept when all civilian GA craft are stable, I especially agree on that. But it really is a trade off between 100% stability in the pitch axis, for another more desired property of flight. But I'd love to hear more from pilots myself.. technically being unstable is one thing, but a pilot with 1000's of hours at the control is another story.

That´s correct, as long as the CG (center of gravity) is enough forward of the Neutral Point NP (between 5% and 15%).

(That´s the case for all civilian aircraft - every boeing and every airbus is very stable even without computers as long as you can use

your control surfaces...)

Jet fighters or aerobatic planes have the NP nearly at the CG, what gives less static stability but much greater elevator authority,

(A F16 could never be flown by hand without computers....)

Timo

A little off subject...I notice it says in the page from your manual that "little or no thrust is needed to start the aircraft in movement" (which seems very true) and also not to "ride the brakes".

I was wondering, with the real aircraft, how do they control the ground speed without riding the brakes? With the Airbus that I have now, I do keep having to stay on the brakes to keep the ground speed within limits.

how many switches and buttons can be switched/pushed(pulled) in this airbus (how many on the overhad, the ap control panel, and so on...)

I have an idea why not make all buttons and switches 'click' even if they do not anything will just say its a system malfunction blush.gif