Aerosoft Airbus X - Preview

Hi Mathijs, did you ever get around the FSX taxi problem where we have to consistently adjust the throttles to keep moving or can we add a little thrust and and then taxi on idle?

Nope. It can only be solved by tweaking files of FSX and we almost never try to do that. There are some tweaks around that solve it, but all of these are based changing the sim and not an aircraft.

somehow, the wilco a32x aircraft have accomplished this. i don't know how they did it, though.

Oh? I'll have a look at that.

Mathijs please do look, because I think it is very realistic. One only has to release breaks in order to start moving, and if it's not realistic it sure comes very handy when taxiing!

http://yfrog.us/2ffsx2010032201571223z

I have added this smal video so everyone can check it out!

PLUR

• Upvote 1

I have just been looking at the photos that were posted by the boss back on page 1 and I noticed that two of the buttons(wpt,arpt) on the efis control panel are illuminated.On the bus I fly you can only select one at a time.

Hi,

it's possible to activate two of them. See here:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=YR5-AWcZEWY at 0:16

Must be a customer mod because we haven't got it.

Something is bugging me! I thought one could only select WPT or VOR D or NDB or ARPT with CSTR on like on the video, it is true ARPT and WPT can not be selected at same time! correct me if I am wrong.

PLUR

• Aerosoft

and i've a question about the engines:

is it so that you mustn't push the trottles forward to make the bus moving forward on the ground?

and how good is that simulated?

and a question about the fly by wire:

does it behave like the fbw on the wilco bus ore is it much different?

If you are light and there is no wind on the nose, sure it will go forward on idle power. When it is fully loaded it does not. Now FSX is rather messy on this and at this moment we are not even sure if the Airbus SHOULD move under idle power (as you ask it seems you know how it should be?). Pilots are never encouraged to let the aircraft start to move on idle because it is too slow and not easy to spot for ground crew. They do it like driving a car, apply power until it moves and then throttle back.

And it does not behave like the Wilco Airbus, there are some profound differences. The main reason is they based it on there own code in FS2004 while we got the easy and stable fbw implementation that MS build in FSX. I also believe we just implemented a few things better, mainly because this is a totally new project. Now I hardly looked at the Wilco bus (we are not competing with them as we got a whole different idea on many things) but I think we got it pretty right. I just took off, climbed to 10k and put the Airbus in a 360 degrees / 3 min circle (no AP functions on) and got a beer. I got back 10 min later and it was still doing that. That's the base of fbw and I am not sure the Wilco one does that.

Of course it all depends a lot on what you define as fbw. Are you talking the laws? The implementation of vertical profiles? The FADEC etc... loads of different parts that many people confuse a lot.

• Upvote 2

• Aerosoft

I think the pictures are stunning.

I have a question though: have these images been altered somehow? I mean gamma or contrast/brightness correction, because I have problems with getting nice contrast in FSX. It's really a shame that there is no decent HDR in FSX and we can't see the huge difference in brightness between the outside and the inside when in VC.

Best regards.

The images are not post processed in any way.

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

Mathijs please do look, because I think it is very realistic. One only has to release breaks in order to start moving, and if it's not realistic it sure comes very handy when taxiing!

http://yfrog.us/2ffsx2010032201571223z

PLUR

Without knowing the weight of the aircraft (or any other condition), why do you think that realistic?

If it is empty and got 500 gallons of fuel on board it will sure move. If it is -15 degrees, on Schiphol, great wind on the runway and the aircraft is at absolute max load I am pretty sure it will not move.

• Upvote 1

Guest cmjA320

Mathijs your supposition is incorrect.The lighter the aircraft is the smaller the contact patch between the tyre and the paved surface.The last time I flew the 321 ,which was at Birmingham ,at high weight,once you have got the aircraft moving with a little power it would accelerate at idle thrust down the taxiway.A light aircraft would require a small amount of power to keep it moving.Once an aircraft is moving a light aircraft will have less kinetic energy compared to a heavy one.the latter will have more energy to keep moving and will happily taxi at idle thrust.

• Aerosoft

Mathijs your supposition is incorrect.The lighter the aircraft is the smaller the contact patch between the tyre and the paved surface.The last time I flew the 321 ,which was at Birmingham ,at high weight,once you have got the aircraft moving with a little power it would accelerate at idle thrust down the taxiway.A light aircraft would require a small amount of power to keep it moving.Once an aircraft is moving a light aircraft will have less kinetic energy compared to a heavy one.the latter will have more energy to keep moving and will happily taxi at idle thrust.

I believe the issue is more about getting the aircraft moving, not keeping it moving. As far as I know all passenger jets will keep on moving at idle at nearly any weight. The FSX problem is the mass, not the momentum (apart from the silly drag on cornering). Perhaps I typed something wrong but I think we say the same. A Cessna moves easier then a 380 but both will happely taxy along (or even gather speed) on idle.

Now I got to say this is based on A320 simulation time (and even pro sims are not very good on the ground) and some hands on in MD80's so I got no problem to be corrected!

• Upvote 1

Just a little off topic here but can anybody tell me how an airline pilot determines how much up pitch trim to use on the 'elevator  trim' when going through the before taxi check-list?  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

I have to say for me at least, taxiing is no fun in FSX when using large jets! I think this is due to my Saitek throttle system because it is hard to get that fine adjustment on it to give me just the right amount of thrust for slow taxi, I tend to be constantly adjusting it all the way to the runway! 

And it does not behave like the Wilco Airbus, there are some profound differences. The main reason is they based it on there own code in FS2004 while we got the easy and stable fbw implementation that MS build in FSX. I also believe we just implemented a few things better, mainly because this is a totally new project. Now I hardly looked at the Wilco bus (we are not competing with them as we got a whole different idea on many things) but I think we got it pretty right. I just took off, climbed to 10k and put the Airbus in a 360 degrees / 3 min circle (no AP functions on) and got a beer. I got back 10 min later and it was still doing that. That's the base of fbw and I am not sure the Wilco one does that.

Of course it all depends a lot on what you define as fbw. Are you talking the laws? The implementation of vertical profiles? The FADEC etc... loads of different parts that many people confuse a lot.

Thanks for your reply. Well i've tested the fbw system on the wilcobus again and one thing happend to me where i hope that it is not going to happen in the aerosoft bus: when was trying to land the bus using 135 kt true air speed the autopilot wasn't able to keep the bus on the glideslope. when i switched it off the nose went down and i 've not been able to pull it up manually. in the end the flight ended a few miles befor the runway in the city of hamburg. on the same flight i've tested the fbw a little more exectly and it was not able to maintain the position. it began to sink with about 500 fpm, and i'm sure it would have crashed if i would have not pulled it up again. and another thing about the wilco bus: when i'm using increased simulation speed the flightcomputer suddenly beginns to tell me that i'm flying in the wrong direction and the autoflight turns the aircraft in the wrong direction. (often it makes a 180 degrees turn) i hope that this is not going to happen in your aircraft. and if i'm about saying something about increased simspeed have you tested the bus when using for example 4X speed?

and one last thing: i think the fly by wire is the system which is used to maintain the airbus in the position in which i pulled it using the sidestick. isn't that right? when not please tell me!

and i have a question: you've sayed that the manual is about 2 pages long, does that mean that there is no checklist included? (i think the list is longer that 2 pages, ore at least it is one page if you just include the importanst things. right?) so what else stands in there? a touturial flight (when even a VERY short version) ore what?

I have to say for me at least, taxiing is no fun in FSX when using large jets! I think this is due to my Saitek throttle system because it is hard to get that fine adjustment on it to give me just the right amount of thrust for slow taxi, I tend to be constantly adjusting it all the way to the runway!

yes its right... do you have big problems with the trottles? (i have when i want to use less than 25% power and the left lever does exactly tha same as the right (just the one in the middle is working right exept the thing with low power))

Thanks for your reply. Well i've tested the fbw system on the wilcobus again and one thing happend to me where i hope that it is not going to happen in ......

I had this problem and Timo suggested that it could that the Airbus was not at the correct landing weight (Full passengers - little fuel left etc) but I never tried to configure it  :rolleyes:

yes its right... do you have big problems with the trottles? (i have when i want to use less than 25% power and the left lever does exactly tha same as the right (just the one in the middle is working right exept the thing with low power))

Yes the left throttle lever is now defunked (I never use it because it jumps around all over the place) But the middle and right are fine its just that near the 'notch' at idle thrust its hard to move the lever that little bit to keep the Aircraft moving without it springing back to idle, and because FSX wont let you taxi at idle thrust the whole thing becomes very interesting trying to taxi lol  :lol:

Yes the left throttle lever is now defunked (I never use it because it jumps around all over the place) But the middle and right are fine its just that near the 'notch' at idle thrust its hard to move the lever that little bit to keep the Aircraft moving without it springing back to idle, and because FSX wont let you taxi at idle thrust the whole thing becomes very interesting trying to taxi lol :lol:

yes my problems are similar to yours i think i should inform saitek about that...

but lets get back to the airbus topic befor we're quoted down (this isn't a saitek forum, it's an aerosoft one...):rolleyes:

yes my problems are similar to yours i think i should inform saitek about that...

but lets get back to the airbus topic befor we're quoted down (this isn't a saitek forum, it's an aerosoft one...):rolleyes:

I agree but it helps to explain why the Taxi on Idle Thrust could be very useful if somehow a work-around can be done? Like how aerosoft got the Catalina to float and move better on water, some 'out of the box thinking'  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

I agree but it helps to explain why the Taxi on Idle Thrust could be very useful if somehow a work-around can be done? Like how aerosoft got the Catalina to float and move better on water, some 'out of the box thinking' :rolleyes:

then i hope that they make the bus flyable lokking on such hardware problems:blush:

In the run up to the release of the AirbusX I have been reading up on the systems and general techniques on flying this Bus, I don't know how much of  'behind the scenes' system function on this version but for those of you who are interested I found this http://www.airbusdriver.net/airbus_fltlaws.htm whic explains the various Airbus Laws  :rolleyes:  

• Upvote 3

In the run up to the release of the AirbusX I have been reading up on the systems and general techniques on flying this Bus, I don't know how much of 'behind the scenes' system function on this version but for those of you who are interested I found this http://www.airbusdri...bus_fltlaws.htm whic explains the various Airbus Laws :rolleyes:

super, thanks...

mathijs i have one last question about the fly by: how is it acting when i'm using the flaps? is it able to maintain the position of the bus like when the flaps are not extendent ore must i always pull the stick to me?

the same thing about the aircraft in full landing config, when using the spoilers, and so on?

and one more question: is it able to bring the aerosoft airbus x into a stall? (however you do it)!

mathijs i have one last question about the fly by: how is it acting when i'm using the flaps? is it able to maintain the position of the bus like when the flaps are not extendent ore must i always pull the stick to me?

the same thing about the aircraft in full landing config, when using the spoilers, and so on?

and one more question: is it able to bring the aerosoft airbus x into a stall? (however you do it)!

The auto trim will hold the pitch for you when extending flaps etc it will even hold your bank angle for you I think you can bank to 60 degrees but if you center the side stick (which is basically telling the computer to hold that command) it will bank back to 40 degrees which is part of the inbuilt protection of the flight envelope!  

• Upvote 1

The auto trim will hold the pitch for you when extending flaps etc it will even hold your bank angle for you I think you can bank to 60 degrees but if you center the side stick (which is basically telling the computer to hold that command) it will bank back to 40 degrees which is part of the inbuilt protection of the flight envelope!

i hope it will (just think on the wilcobus and what happens when you let the sidestick *drop* back into its normal position during an manual approach... there i can just do one thing: hope that the ntsb has a few investigators leftB)! so i'm creating workingplaces during an wilcoairbusflight with real normal procedures :excl::excl::excl:)

Guest inbrekers1

Just a little off topic here but can anybody tell me how an airline pilot determines how much up pitch trim to use on the 'elevator trim' when going through the before taxi check-list? :rolleyes:

In the 747's the FMC calculates that for you. But I never listen to it. Don't know where to find the trim controls in that bird xD. I guess it's the same for the Airbusses.

In the 747's the FMC calculates that for you. But I never listen to it. Don't know where to find the trim controls in that bird xD. I guess it's the same for the Airbusses.

Yeah I have been looking on the net, some FMC have a trim calculator built in (Not sure on the Airbus) and other pilots use load sheet data and then have a 'Trim Set Sheet' for working out the takeoff trim or 'the green band' looks like I'll have to find a level that works in most situations for the airbus lol

• Upvote 1