Aerosoft A10

The A-10s no longer fly around Fayetteville like they used too because Pope Air Base was turned over to the army a few years back and I think the some of the A-10s went to Shaw AFB in SC. That base is along I-20 about hr and half drive from here sw.

May have been some manuvers going on. Back after the Haiti earthquake alot of traffic flying out in the ways of C-130s and C-17. On my morning and afternoon duty post at school you can see alot of traffic sometimes because of being located off the runway a few miles. Awesome seeing the C-17s fly in groups sometimes one right after the other.

I forgot about Pope AFB being turned over to the army. My dad was visiting his sister in Fayetteville last year, and he got some video of some C-17's flying low in groups one right after the other like you were talking about. Pretty cool seeing those A-10's the other day. I've never seen anything like that in Burlington. My grandfather remembers staying in a cabin on Kerr Lake in northern NC years ago and seeing military aircraft practice bombing runs on the dam. That must have been really cool.

The A-10s no longer fly around Fayetteville like they used too because Pope Air Base was turned over to the army a few years back and I think the some of the A-10s went to Shaw AFB in SC. That base is along I-20 about hr and half drive from here sw.

May have been some manuvers going on. Back after the Haiti earthquake alot of traffic flying out in the ways of C-130s and C-17. On my morning and afternoon duty post at school you can see alot of traffic sometimes because of being located off the runway a few miles. Awesome seeing the C-17s fly in groups sometimes one right after the other.

I live w/in an hour of Martin State airport, near Baltimore, USA. There's an A-10 squadron there, 175th, I'd guess ~25 planes. An ANG unit. Before 9-11 (maybe farther back), there was a viewing area looking right down runway 15's center-line, just outside the fence, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 mile from runway end. Incredible to see (and hear) them fly the way they did. They flew the circuits at 1500 feet, sometimes that high all the way through downwind (just for a little fun I guess!) and then descending *rapidly* and beautifully to a very short final. Just that engine sound... geeze... like it's talking to you -- "I'm bad news."

Saw the shells at an Andrews AFB open house a few times, and before that would never have guessed anything that big could come out of a tactical aircraft that size. This is not me in the pic, but may I post this? http://rvtravel.com/...llet-711123.jpg

I do miss the A-10s flying around here (RAF Woodbridge / Bentwaters ) and was sad to see them go when the bases closed, the Spangdahlem flight came to Lakenheath recently whilst their home runway was resurfaced, but work stopped any chance of a visit to see the old girls at play. The A-10 is not pretty but it certainly has presence up close.

Best

Michael

• 1 month later...

Now that is great news! I will buy it on date of release - I love the FS9 version

I love the FS9 version too! Now I wonder if they will include project credits and the picture of a sexy pin-up girl in the avionics selection switches again, LOL!!! :lol::P

• Upvote 1

Aerosoft Staff,

Glad to see that this project is now in the works.... Only question I have at this point is, will it have mission capability or be purely just for flight?

And, can you add the Shockwave Lights? (like you did with the F-16); Only make the night lights (Visible through HUD) work in VC mode along with the collimated, etc. features of the HUD.

Thank you.

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

Aerosoft Staff,

Glad to see that this project is now in the works.... Only question I have at this point is, will it have mission capability or be purely just for flight?

And, can you add the Shockwave Lights? (like you did with the F-16); Only make the night lights (Visible through HUD) work in VC mode along with the collimated, etc. features of the HUD.

Thank you.

Nothing decided on any of that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully there will be some new shots in the near future, most of the current work is fine tunning small details on the mesh, which means general screen shots wont look much different I'm afraid.

A hand injury is slowing things at the moment, but back up to full speed soon I hope.

Apologies for the delay.

Regards

Michael

• 4 weeks later...

I worked on A-10s when I was in the USAF at Eielson AFB. The biggest thing I remember about them, and I will NEVER forget, is I loved them simply because they were not as loud as the F-16s!

In all seriousness though, I spent a lot of time around these birds. The sound is indeed distinct, and in my opinion soothing. All the cockpits had two MFDs like described as well as a plethora of analog gauges. In all reality, the MFDs were just to upgrade the avionics to keep up with the more modern weapons available. The majority of these cockpits is still analog, and sitting in one you realize you're sitting in a 1970s/80s strike aircraft.

Of note, one of the things I appreciated the most about A-10s was the difference in the pilots compared to the regular "fighter jocks." A typical F-16/F-15/ETC pilot tended to be a by the book, clean shaven, follow procedures A type personality. I found that the A-10 pilots I met liked to drink beer, had guts, and wouldn't be beyond getting in a fight. There is a completely different mentality when you are doing CAS, especially at the altitude these guys are operating at. I saw A-10 pilots risk everything to save men on the ground....

• 1 month later...