FD lights

Jonathan_f

Dear Simcheck,

I just wanted to add my voice to the choruses about the flight deck lights. With the current way the lights are programmed (i.e. either on or off) the aircraft is basically unusable at night, or at least very difficult to use. When the lights are on you can't see out of the windows and when the lights are off you can't read anything on the panel.

I know this topic has been done to death but this really lets down what is otherwise one of the best I have seen for FS in a long while. For the money I would have expected better flight deck lighting though. I don't accept that this is an FSX limitation, as other developers have managed to find solutions and still charge more or less what you are charging.

I see you have release SP1.2 which does not appear to address this problem but I would urge you to consider addressing this issue in another patch if you really want to make this a top-notch addon.

Thanks for reading.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

We are activley looking at the lighting issue but it was never going to makeSP1 due to the amount of work involved and the impact it would have on frame rates, we do need to find a balance where it doesn't cause current user a loss of performance.

We are still looking at it so watch this space.

Well, yes, the lights on the FE panel dont look pretty or realistic (this issue has been explained before - because of having a better performance of nice visuals) - but unusable??? They should be let 1:1 like the 2D panel... so completely bright at night. Like I said, its not realistic but it should be usable at all times of the day and clearly readable. So what do you mean by you can't look out of the windows? In fact, the panel and cockpit lights don't have anything to do with looking out of the windows - AND its just the FE panel lights that are not realistic... visually at least.

Well, yes, the lights on the FE panel dont look pretty or realistic (this issue has been explained before - because of having a better performance of nice visuals) - but unusable??? They should be let 1:1 like the 2D panel... so completely bright at night. Like I said, its not realistic but it should be usable at all times of the day and clearly readable. So what do you mean by you can't look out of the windows? In fact, the panel and cockpit lights don't have anything to do with looking out of the windows - AND its just the FE panel lights that are not realistic... visually at least.

What I meant was this:

- the lights are either on or off in the 2d panel.

- this means that when they are on they are too bright which makes it difficult to see out of windows ahead and to the side (at least for me). The difference between the levels of light.

- when they are off the panels are too dark to read. There is no instrument lighting so you cannot read the guages.

- when I said unusable what I meant to say was that the above makes it unusable in the nighttime hours.

- it is ALL of the panel lights that are unrealistic, not just the FE panel. Like I said, they are all either on or off.

Hope that makes sense.

Look, I know it's a balance between cost and performance during development, but the unrealistic lighting lets the product down badly.

On the other hand I love what you have done with the sounds and loading of flightplans in the INS.

Jonathan