Airport Viewing

deecee

When I purchase a new airport as I have done recently -German Airports 3 - I like to go around the airport to look at the various gates and parking areas and perhaps select a few spots that I am going to use, or just view the airport in general.

To do this I am selecting a small aircraft eg Cessna,Piper, and taxying around in this!

But this is silly.

I would like to select some sort of appropriate vehicle to drive in.

Is there a product available that will do this? Instead of selecting an aircraft, select a car.

Or is there some way of doing it that I don't know about?

I use FSX, and Vista.

David Holland

Yes, there are car models in both AVSIM and Flightsim libraries.

If you do some search, you will come across plenty of them.

You can also use a helicopter, which will let you hover and watch more closely.

There's a great freeware addon for such activities: it's called BOB and is available as download from ORBX's site.

In fact, it's a "person mode". You can walk around the airport and listen to various sounds, such as your footsteps, birds, etc...

Thanks guys, for your response.

I'll have a look for the cars in Avsim - could be what I'm after.

I do like the sound of BOB though. That could be really interesting.

Finally, could someone, perhaps Er!k, explain how to do 'slewing'. That's definitely something I've missed in FSX.

cheers

deecee.

If you have default key-mapping, it's the key Y. In slew mode, you can move as you like, but you'll not hear any sounds. In fact, the slew mode allows you to move your aircraft the way you want, but it's not flying.

About BOB: have a try! I think (but everyone has his own opinions wink.gif ) that it's much better than the slewing mode. Also check on YouTube - you should find some interesting videos featuring BOB!

I agree, go have a look at BOB, the site is Here

You aren't a "model" as such, but your view is as if you a person walking around. He can travel at up to 80 knots, which isn't realistic, but it makes for getting to interesting places a bit quicker. If you have these amazing addon airports, it makes sense to want to have a good look around.

Thanks for the link Tigerclaw.

It's a simple download and I like the fact that BOB installs itself (or should it be himself!) at the number one spot in the aircraft selection menu.

I have been playing around with it and to begin with I found it a little difficult to control the speed. It tends to run away with you and it's hard to set a constant slow speed. Also in the virtual cockpit mode (as suggested) you can get disoriented because using the hat to look around there is no set forward position to return to, so when you start to move again you are not necessarily in the 'facing forward' position. Also the hat movements are jerky, not smooth.

I have got on better with it set on 'Spot', outside view. I can adjust the zoom to 40 and get a nice wide angle view. Using the hat is much better - it's smoother to swing around, and easy to return to forward view by pressing 2 on the number pad. You can also use the other numbers to snap to different views. It doesn't dip forward when you break, as it does in virtual cockpit mode. I wish the cornering could be sharper, though.

Sounds are not bad, but could be better. I have had the ATC set to 'ground' or 'tower' and just wandered around with my airband radio!! Great!

I have also tried slewing (which I hadn't realised I could use - doh!!). I used it with the microlight and its very quick to move around just using the stick control. But it is silent. Seeing the pilot sitting there made me think you could just have a standing-up figure modelled in 3-D ( no aircraft ) to move around in this mode.

Thanks for those suggestions, guys.

I just need to find a car to try now and I have been having no luck getting one for FSX. Can't seem to locate a download.

If anyone knows of a FSX version and could give me the Link I would be much obliged.

Thanks

deecee