FSMap: change map folder location?

dswo

I recently moved from Windows XP to Windows 7. I have reinstalled FSMap, and I have a lot of maps installed. Problem: FSMap is looking for my maps in the old documents folder: "C:\Documents and Settings\User_Name\My Documents\FSMap\1.0\Maps".

Is there an .ini file or registry key that I can edit to make FSMap look in a different location?

• 2 weeks later...

Please delete or rename the following file to reset your map configuration: "Documents\FSMap\Maps.dat".

Thank you, Thomas. Now, how do I get all of my added maps back? I tried exporting them from the old install, but when I import the resulting file, it generates "file not found" errors for all of the map image files.

The best is to check if the map location in the .FSM export file is correct. Simply open it with Notepad and check the "Filename" property. Make sure that the path to the map file is correct.

Hope this helps

Thomas

The best is to check if the map location in the .FSM export file is correct. Simply open it with Notepad and check the "Filename" property. Make sure that the path to the map file is correct.

Thank you, Thomas. I opened up MyMaps.fsm in Notepad and there is no path. For example:

[MAP.409]

Name=Airport - NZAA

Filename=NZAA.gif

Region=Asia

MapType=0

Which folder does FSMap expect the image files to be in, relative to *.fsm?

If there is no path, then you need to copy the images to the folder where the FSM files are located.

Thank you, Thomas.

There was one more hurdle, which I'll describe here in case someone else had the same problem. I put my exported .fsm file in the same folder with the image files, but I still got two sets of error messages. One was looking for the various .tif files that ship with FSMap. Since they were already installed, I just ignored those errors and kept going. The second error, when I got to my new files, was "permission denied." I tried fixing the permissions directly, but that didn't work. What did work: I copied the folder with my image files -- the ones to be imported -- and the .fsm file that I generated earlier to a FAT32-formatted USB drive. I don't know if the FAT32 formatting was important -- it's dumber about permissions than NTFS -- but it worked. I loaded FSMap, clicked on Manage Maps and then Import Maps, then selected the folder on my USB drive. I still got the first error (looking for the Europe .tifs that come with FSMap) but the rest went fine. I can now use my old collection of calibrated maps. Thank you.