Glider handling

jonash

The Glider is OK and nice concept but a little flawed in realism.

Must agree with the comments on the instrument panel - it is generally illegible. Disappointing

As an experienced real pilot and glider pilot my main worry is the awful glider handling!

The pitch rate is far to fast, as is the roll rate. A 15/18m glider has a large inertia in its wing so inherently has a damped slew/roll rate. Can not this be accurately simulated? Similarly for the pitch.

The Aerosoft Discus glider also exhibits pitch instability! its attitude bucks around and needs constant correction. Coordination of amount of control movement to aerodynamic effect also appears unrealistic? Any real glider that fly’s like this would be quickly grounded.

The overall flight characteristics make the aircraft most uncomfortable and unenjoyable to fly. I usually find myself choosing the old DG808 even the ASK21 to enjoy some comfortable fun CumulusX and Simprobe cross country soaring.

OK, I might be missing something in the setup?

If so what....?

I have tried a large range of variations of settings to little effect.

Any hope of a trim lever in the cockpit?

Regards

Jonathan<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

Although I am not a real world glider pilot but constantly use the Discus, all 3 variants I have to disagree with you on a lot of your issues. I've learnt a lot over the past 6 months or so in Gliding from quite a few folk here and I can't recreate any of your issues or agree with your observations.

On the matter of the trim lever, if you have FSUIPC(4) then do as I do and select "use mouse wheel as trim" option. Works a treat for me.

• Upvote 4

Jonathan,

Have you ever flowen a Discus? If not, don't say, it is unrealistic. It is also no 18 meters plane.

Every glider is different, and you don't tell about your real life experience. What gliders have you flowen? ASK21? COMPLETELY different to fly.

Really, your post can't be meant serious.

I am also a real world pilot and fly the Discus very often. And as everybody agreed so far it is one of the best flight model out there for FSX.

As stated in the manual set FSX to full realism, and it feels almost exactly as the real plane (in limitations of your controler hardware)

Regarding this statement:

Must agree with the comments on the instrument panel - it is generally illegible. Disappointing

set up your FSX correcly, and you can see, that the Panel is ultrasharp. Just look at the screenshots

regards Joachim

• Upvote 5

The Glider is OK and nice concept but a little flawed in realism.

As an experienced real pilot and glider pilot my main worry is the awful glider handling!

The pitch rate is far to fast, as is the roll rate. A 15/18m glider has a large inertia in its wing so inherently has a damped slew/roll rate. Can not this be accurately simulated? Similarly for the pitch.

The Aerosoft Discus glider also exhibits pitch instability! its attitude bucks around and needs constant correction. Coordination of amount of control movement to aerodynamic effect also appears unrealistic? Any real glider that fly’s like this would be quickly grounded.

The overall flight characteristics make the aircraft most uncomfortable and unenjoyable to fly. I usually find myself choosing the old DG808 even the ASK21 to enjoy some comfortable fun CumulusX and Simprobe cross country soaring.

OK, I might be missing something in the setup?

If so what....?

I have tried a large range of variations of settings to little effect.

Any hope of a trim lever in the cockpit?

Regards

Jonathan<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

Hi,

As a real world glider pilot, and also more to the point, Discus pilot, i can honestly say hand on heart Joachim's Discus is a pretty much perfect simulation of the RW Discus, the D'X is by FAR the most realistic simulation on the current market.

All i can suggest is get yourself some RW discus experience and you'll see how accurate this simulation is!

With regards to panel quality, you must have an issue with your settings (global texture resolution maybe?) because it is crystal clear on my system :)

Regards,

Zakk

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

As others have noted, thanks for our contribution, which is rubbish...

What OS? What Hardware? What settings?

You provide nothing except negativity in your first post, which is NOT the way to go about fixing what is obvious to the rest of us is a little local trouble either with your hardware or, most likely, the Hardware Interface Unit... :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

You will feel fine in an ASK21

It is a lot more sluggish than a Discus but so easy to fly. You'll feel safe in her from the first minute on.

You can practise using your feet when flying the plane with the Discus X and of course keeping the yawstring centered.

Bests Joachim