help with yaw string for ASW 15B

I have downloaded Peter Lurkens' ASW 15B and installed the CAISET stuff. The instruments display (but how do I use them?) but the yaw string doesn't.

The yaw string line is in the configuration file, but it doesn't display in all cockpit windows. When I try to add the line to my virtual cockpit window, it doesn't display right. I've got the coordinates right, but it's all flattened and funny looking.

Using FSX SP 2.

Thanks.

Hello MusicCity, sorry so late in replying. Let me get a chance later today to reinstall the aircraft you mentioned to see what you may be talking about (by the way, it's a Wolfgang Piper created model). You may have seen Peter Dowson's name when loading the fsuipc.dll. There is an instruction manual download for the CAISET at Wolfgang's site http://www.fsglider.de/p_e.htm in the Tips and Tricks section about half way down the page.

Scott

Hello MusicCity, sorry so late in replying. Let me get a chance later today to reinstall the aircraft you mentioned to see what you may be talking about (by the way, it's a Wolfgang Piper created model). You may have seen Peter Dowson's name when loading the fsuipc.dll. There is an instruction manual download for the CAISET at Wolfgang's site http://www.fsglider.de/p_e.htm in the Tips and Tricks section about half way down the page.

Scott

Scott,

Yes, I knew that Wolfgang Piper designed the glider; I downloaded it from his page. But my mind was clouded with frustration. I have installed fsuipc.dll apparently successfully. Here is what's in my Panel.cfg:

[snip]

//--------------------------------------------------------

[Window01]

Background_color=0,0,0

size_mm=800

position=1

visible=1

ident=30

render_3d_window=1

[Vcockpit01]

file=vc1.bmp

Background_color=0,0,0

size_mm=1160,1160

window_size_ratio=1.000

visible=0

window_size= 1.000, 1.000

pixel_size=1000,1000

texture=$pan1

window_pos= 0.000, 0.000

gauge00=WP-ASW15B!Fahrtmesser_250, 327,300,175,188

gauge01=WP-ASW15B!Altimeter, 345,481,125,147

gauge02=WP-ASW15B!MCVario_ASW15, 646,297,188,174

gauge03=WP-ASW15B!Turn_and_Bank, 508,320,135,131

gauge04=WP-ASW15B!Kompass, 524,68,90,99

gauge05=WP-Spoiler_Trim!Kneeboard, 845,436,31,37

gauge06=WP-Spoiler_Trim!Gear Lever, 82,698,47,152

gauge07=WP-Spoiler_Trim!spoiler_lever, 27,709,50,150

gauge08=WP-Spoiler_Trim!Trimmschalter_laengs, 950,617,54,163

gauge09=WP-ASW15b!Becker-AR4201, 515,716,125,125

gauge10=mr-fs9-caiset!caf, 687,490,126,125

gauge11=mr-fs9-caiset!gpsnav, 819,487,119,118

gauge12=mr-fs9-caiset!lnav, 490,488,177,177

gauge13=mr-yawstring!blue,442,-220,250,439

[Vcockpit02]

file=vc2.bmp

Background_color=0,0,0

size_mm=256,256

window_size_ratio=1.000

visible=0

window_size= 1.000, 1.000

pixel_size=800,800

texture=$pan4

window_pos= 0.000, 0.000

gauge00=mr-yawstring!blue, 345,180,100

[sNIP]

COMMENTS:

[Vcockpit02] works and the code was added automatically. [Vcockpit01] I added the code, and it doesn't look right, the yarn is oversized and I can't get the y-axis value to work (it's negative). I can still use it, but it doesn't look like on the other screens.

Thanks

MusicCity

HI MC,

Try this:

1. Don't change the sections [Window00], [Window01] and [VCockpit01] in the original panel.cfg

2. In section [VCockpit02], add this line at the bottom:

gauge00=mr-yawstring!blue, 80,160,90

That should do it.

If you want to change the position or the size of the yawstring in VC-mode:

first param (now 80) positions the yawstring horizontally (lower value = left, higher = right)

second param (now 160) positions the yawstring vertically (lowervalue = higher in the screen, higher value = lower)

third param (now 90) defines the size of the yawstring (lower value = thinner and smaller, higher = thicker and longer)

Bert

Thanks Bert! Wish I would of checked the forums better yesterday, I spent most of the day trying to figure that one out. Instead of sticking with the ASW15B, I was on a wild goose chase trying to figure out why my DUO_DISCUS_X_(FRONT) didn't have it anymore so I could use that for comparison. I finally got smart and checked an old installation of it and found out I had been using the FS2004 version inside FSX since it's beginning. The updated FSX mdl version must have that particular part of the mdl file missing or deleted I suspect, but I'm not a real aircraft or scenery modeler by any means.

Scott

Hi Scott,

As for the FSX Duo Discus and Duo Discus X versions, in all of the panel.cfg's the [Vcockpit02]-section with the yawstring gauge is entirely missing. My guess is that Wolfgang did that on purpose. If I remember right, there was a time it was not discovered yet how to properly implant the caiset and yawstring in FSX-models.

And I see the Duo models haven't been updated since febr 2008.

Copying the [Vcockpit02]-section from the ASW15B into the DUO is not working, i tried that, but without success.

Bert

Thanks, Bert. These upside down axes seem to be catching in the glider world (referring to polars).

MusicCity

HI MC,

Try this:

1. Don't change the sections [Window00], [Window01] and [VCockpit01] in the original panel.cfg

2. In section [VCockpit02], add this line at the bottom:

gauge00=mr-yawstring!blue, 80,160,90

That should do it.

If you want to change the position or the size of the yawstring in VC-mode:

first param (now 80) positions the yawstring horizontally (lower value = left, higher = right)

second param (now 160) positions the yawstring vertically (lowervalue = higher in the screen, higher value = lower)

third param (now 90) defines the size of the yawstring (lower value = thinner and smaller, higher = thicker and longer)

Bert

Hey guys if you're flying FSX and want to move forwards from the world of C dll/fsuipc instruments circa FS98, I have updated the ASW28 with 100% XML instruments including the yawstring. Honestly you'd be better off selecting instruments from that ASW28 panel into the ASW15 rather than spending much time with the older instruments... these XML instruments use the FSX flightplan also.

asw28_panel.jpg

FSX ASW 28 with XML instruments here

B21

*edit*

There is an instruction manual download for the CAISET
these instruments are rendered obsolete by sim_logger (for logging), CumulusX (for TE sound), and XML instruments. Maybe, just maybe, you'd want to install the LNav because a C dll is the only way you can get that particular instrument, but you'd be insane to install the CAISET GPS-NAV when a better XML GPS-NAV already exists in FSX even in the stock DG808S, or the slightly modified one above with a more readable distance-to-go.

Well Ian,

I tried to get your yawstring in Wolfgang's Duo Discus X, and even in the stock FSX DG808 and the SOAR DG, but I can't get it working in the virtual cockpit.

Maybe you can give me a hint?

Bert

where's it going wrong?

The Duo Discus is the one to start with because there is already a yawstring on the panel so you already know the VCockpit section and the X,Y coordinates.

Did you copy the gauge across to a sub-folder of the Duo 'panel' folder, and then refer to the gauge in panel.cfg ?

B21

Have a look at the panel.cfg of the Dou Discus and you will notice that there is no [Vcockpit02]-section with a mr-yawstring to replace with yours. There is a [window01] in which a mr-yawstring is decrared, but that only produces a yawstring in the 2d-cocpit view.

I have tried everything to create my own [Vcockpit02]-section simular as you did in the ASW28, but no yawstring will show up in the Duo's virtual cockpit (neither in the default DG where the [VcockpitXX]-section with a yawstring is also missing by default.

The ASW15 on the other hand does have the [Vcockpitxx]-section with a yawstring, so in that glider replacing the mr-yawstring with yours was indeed a peace of cake.

Bert

Thanks for that ASW28, quite a bird. I'm about to get my US certificate on the ASW15B, and I must say it's easier to fly in the simulator than the 28. But what a glide....!

MC

Hey guys if you're flying FSX and want to move forwards from the world of C dll/fsuipc instruments circa FS98, I have updated the ASW28 with 100% XML instruments including the yawstring. Honestly you'd be better off selecting instruments from that ASW28 panel into the ASW15 rather than spending much time with the older instruments... these XML instruments use the FSX flightplan also.

asw28_panel.jpg

FSX ASW 28 with XML instruments here

B21

*edit* these instruments are rendered obsolete by sim_logger (for logging), CumulusX (for TE sound), and XML instruments. Maybe, just maybe, you'd want to install the LNav because a C dll is the only way you can get that particular instrument, but you'd be insane to install the CAISET GPS-NAV when a better XML GPS-NAV already exists in FSX even in the stock DG808S, or the slightly modified one above with a more readable distance-to-go.

hi Bert sorry I didn't mean to mislead you with the Duo - I checked the cockpit photo on Wolfgang's site and saw the yawstring, and wrongly assumed that was 3D. I should have made it clear I think it is necessary for the glider 3D model to include a panel area you can map a VCockpit to that includes the position of the yawstring. So you can replace mr-yawstring with my XML one, but I doubt you can add a yawstring to a glider if the 3D designer didn't include the surface necessary to map it to. I'm not a 3D modeller so I'm a dubious source though...

B21

hi Bert sorry I didn't mean to mislead you with the Duo

No worries, man.

I doubt you can add a yawstring to a glider if the 3D designer didn't include the surface necessary to map it to.

That's what I found out the hard way.

Bert

Never knew, that I did even an ASW15 :mellow:

I have downloaded Peter Lurkens' ASW 15B and installed the CAISET stuff. The instruments display (but how do I use them?) but the yaw string doesn't.

The yaw string line is in the configuration file, but it doesn't display in all cockpit windows. When I try to add the line to my virtual cockpit window, it doesn't display right. I've got the coordinates right, but it's all flattened and funny looking.

Using FSX SP 2.

Thanks.

Correct attribution was given to Wolfgang up above--but thanks for your excellent programs. I am training for my glider certificate and recently getting the yaw string has really helped, while CumX! has given plenty of practice in thermaling.

MusicCity

Never knew, that I did even an ASW15 :mellow:

I am training for my glider certificate and recently getting the yaw string has really helped, while CumX! has given plenty of practice in thermaling.

Glad to be able to help you. It is my experience that practicing in FSX is oké, as long as you don't forget it is not R/L-gliding. The intructions your R/L-instructors give you are more valuable in getting your glider certificate.

Nevertheless, good luck with your R/L-training.

Bert

R/L soaring is a lot more fun (just back from first spring training...).

Glad to be able to help you. It is my experience that practicing in FSX is oké, as long as you don't forget it is not R/L-gliding. The intructions your R/L-instructors give you are more valuable in getting your glider certificate.

Nevertheless, good luck with your R/L-training.

Bert