Sollfahrt umschalten

CAT-III

Hallo DiscusX Profis,

hab den Flieger seit Kurzem, tolle Sache. Ich bin begeistert :rolleyes: . Sehr nah an der Realität (zumindest soweit das der FSX zulässt). Allerdings suche ich noch nach einer Möglichkeit, die Sollfahrt etwas komfortabler umzuschalten als über Mausklick am Instrumentenbrett. Gibt es eine eventl. eine Tastenkombination dafür? Dann könnte man es wie in der Realität auf den Stick legen!

Viele Grüsse

CAT-III

• Upvote 1

Wow, super Idee!

Leider im Moment nicht möglich. Ich frage aber mal, ob sich das umsetzen lässt.

Ich MEINE allerdings, das C4 kann man so einstellen, dass es sollfahrt automatisch schaltet, wenn man in den Geradeausflug übergeht. Zumindest hatte ich das in einer alphaversion des instrumentes. Mich hat das tierisch gestört, aber andere vielleicht nicht. Wenn sich das außerhalb des Setup Menüs einstellen lässt, dann sollte es auch einprogrammiert sein. Schau mal ins Manual.

Zum Thema Tastenkombi frage ich aber mal nach.

Gruß Joachim

Hallo Joachim,

danke für die Info! Die Aktivierung der GPS oder Fahrtumschaltung der Sollfahrt erfolgt nur über das Setup Menu. Ist dann also nicht zugänglich. Die Fahrtumschaltung ist meiner Erfahrung nach kaum brauchbar. Die Umschaltung anhand GPS funktioniert auch nicht immer zufriedenstellend. Vor allem wenn man mit hohen McCready Werten fliegt und das Steigen nicht gleich trifft und Nachzentrieren muss. Am Steuerknüppel umzuschalten (also per Tastenkombi über den Stick) ist meiner Meinung nach die beste Methode. Wenn das implementiert ist/werden könnte, wäre das echt Klasse.

Was im RL auch noch eine kleine aber feine Sache ist, ist das automatische Umschalten der C4 Anzeige (entsprechend des eingestellten Wertes im SETUP Menü). So bekommt man z.B. beim Umschalten auf Vario gleich die McCready Anzeige mit dem integrierten Steigen. Beim Umschalten auf Sollfahrt kann man z.B. NAV oder DISTANCE voreinstellen.

VG CAT-III

• Upvote 1

Habe gerade meinen ersten längeren Testflug (300er FAI) mit dem DiscusX absolviert. Bei erwartet gutem Steigen (Dank CumulusX :D) 100 l Wasser rein und ab gehts (mit der B Version und meinem Gewicht sind das 40 kg/m2). Ich bin begeistert, wie gut die Flugeigenschaften auch mit Wasserballast umgesetzt wurden. Hab mich mit der Sollfahrt mal strikt auf das C4 verlassen und auf Anhieb 'nen 100er Schnitt geschafft. Da kann man ja für die kommende Flugsaison richtig trainieren ;-).

Nun hoffe ich nur noch, daß es vielleicht eine Lösung für die Tastenkombi zur Sollfahrtumschaltung gibt! Mir ist noch aufgefallen, daß der RTE Modus nur auf den nächsten WP zeigt und nicht auf das Ende der Strecke. Ist dass eine Beschränkung des FSX oder ein Bug oder habe ich was übersehen?

VG CAT-III

Freut mich wirklich, dass dir der Discus gut gefällt. Und vor allem, dass es wieder einen mehr gibt, der ernsthaft Strecken fliegt!

Das C4 und die Flugeigenschaften/Leistungen sind ja auch das Hauptaugenmerk dieses Produktes gewesen. Wir haben sehr viele Sachen mehrmals machen müssen, bis es zuletzt auch meinen Ansprüchen gerecht wurde. Derartiges Feedback ist da Balsam für die Seele, und Motivation, dann mit dem Nimbus4 zu beginnen.

Ich habe noch keine Antwort von Ian. Aber keine Sorge.

Dass du nur bis zum nächsten Wegpunkt rechnen kannst, ist eine Beschränkung des FSX. Wir haben versucht, das zu fixen, aber keinen Erfolg gehabt. Trotzdem wollen wir uns diesen Punkt nocheinmal vornehmen. Was hierbei herauskommt, wissen wir auch noch nicht. Aber immerhin, schlimmer wird es nicht, und ich denke auch so ist es schon recht brauchbar.

Benutzt du im realen Leben auch ein C4, vielleicht sogar den Discus? (Ich gehe ganz einfach mal davon aus, dass du auch im realen Leben Segelflieger bis, so wie du schreibst)

Gruß Joachim

Ich habe noch keine Antwort von Ian

LOL it took me a day to translate these posts with Babel Fish - I understand we have eels in our hovercraft (bad english joke).

Joachim and I have actually been talking about what incremental things we can do in developing a Nimbus 4 open-class glider, and if we develop the SDI C4 more we'll make those gauge enhancements available to Discus owners (it'll be like owning a real SDI C4 and getting the firmware upgrades, only less hassle). Given a bit of programming, there are at least three things we could do with the C4:

* trap an FSX event and use that to toggle the Total-Energy / Speed-to-fly mode of the vario. If the user has a key assigned to this event then this key will replicate the function of the panel switch. My current preferred choice is 'TOGGLE_STROBES' which by default is mapped to the 'O' key (but you can change it). This sounds like it would meet your suggestion and you could use the 'O' key (or remap it) instead of clicking the switch on the panel.

* provide a setting as with the real SDI C4 that causes it to switch between TE/STF *automatically*, based on the computer's judgement of whether you are cruising or climbing - I'm used to this on my real SDI (C3) but it confuses almost everybody else, and it is an optional setting on the real SDI that I've not met anyone else using. But it's in consideration.

* calculate the finish line arrival height all the way around a task taking into account the differing head/tail winds on the various legs. The real SDI C4 has a setting for this (FG:RTE) *but* FSX limitations make this very difficult to program. But we're quietly confident we can do it. So that there is no mis-understanding, the FSX SDI C4 works exactly the same way as the real one - it is using the glider polar, the ballast and mccready setting, and the current windspeed and direction, to calculate what height you would arrive at if everything goes according to plan. If you too fast, fly with the wheel down or engine out, fly through unexpected sink, or a headwind turns out to be stronger than expected (or a tailwind weaker), then you'll fall below the glidepath just as in a real glider regardless of what the SDI C4 said at the beginning.

The real C4 was 2,000 Euro, and you'd find it difficult to spot the in-flight difference with the one we've modelled. This third point is pretty much the only notable item.

Ian

• Upvote 1

Ich habe noch keine Antwort von Ian

Hey, das stimmte auch zu dem Zeitpunkt :D

Nun, wie du siehst, hat sich Ian diesbezüglich nun geäußert. Und ich denke, das Ganze höhrt sich nicht schlecht an :-)

Gruß Joachim

Das C4 und die Flugeigenschaften/Leistungen sind ja auch das Hauptaugenmerk dieses Produktes gewesen. Wir haben sehr viele Sachen mehrmals machen müssen, bis es zuletzt auch meinen Ansprüchen gerecht wurde.

Und Ihr habt ganze Arbeit geleistet. Meine Kommentare sind ja eigentlich nur Kleinigkeiten und schmälern das Flugerlebnis DiscusX in keinster Weise. Den Nimbus 4 fände ich toll. Ein guter offne Klasse Flieger passt auf alle Fälle noch in meinen virtuellen Hangar ;-). Dann könnte man auch mal richtig weite Flüge angehen.

Benutzt du im realen Leben auch ein C4, vielleicht sogar den Discus?

Mit dem C4 habe ich so einige Flugstunden verbracht. Allerdings nicht im Discus sondern hauptsächlich im Jantar Std. 3. Den Discus b hab ich ein paar mal geflogen (ca. 60h).

VG CAT-III

* provide a setting as with the real SDI C4 that causes it to switch between TE/STF *automatically*, based on the computer's judgement of whether you are cruising or climbing - I'm used to this on my real SDI (C3) but it confuses almost everybody else, and it is an optional setting on the real SDI that I've not met anyone else using. But it's in consideration.

I totally agree with you, in RL I've tried both alternatives of STF/TE switching (with the C4) but both of them don't really work satisfying. I prefer to switch that manually. My opinion, it doesn't make sense to implement the automatic switching in FSX. Nevertheless, switching by a keypress would be great.

* calculate the finish line arrival height all the way around a task taking into account the differing head/tail winds on the various legs. The real SDI C4 has a setting for this (FG:RTE) *but* FSX limitations make this very difficult to program. But we're quietly confident we can do it. So that there is no mis-understanding, the FSX SDI C4 works exactly the same way as the real one - it is using the glider polar, the ballast and mccready setting, and the current windspeed and direction, to calculate what height you would arrive at if everything goes according to plan. If you too fast, fly with the wheel down or engine out, fly through unexpected sink, or a headwind turns out to be stronger than expected (or a tailwind weaker), then you'll fall below the glidepath just as in a real glider regardless of what the SDI C4 said at the beginning.

Yes, the C4 works great. Today I've used it on a longer cross country flight. I took off with 100kg water and set the appropriate wing load for that. Before the second turnpoint I found me 200m above ground in weak climb and decided to release the water. Set the wing load to 32 and vois la, the C4 did adapt the speed to fly as it should be and at the end calculated me a perfect final approach. Just great!! As I wrote to Joachim, my suggestions are just minor. You did great work with that gauge! And as a matter of fact, the RTE/WP function is only necessary on short flights.

CAT-III

the RTE/WP function is only necessary on short flights.

yeah I'm assuming also the opportunity is to swap on the way to the last turnpoint if it's anywhere within potential final glide range of the finish.

An FSX weather setting with a wind change at low altitude (typically a reduction) will cause the C4 to (correctly) re-calculate the arrival height as it re-calibrates on detecting the new wind speed. But the sudden drop in displayed arrival height comes as a bit of a shock for pilots not 100% familiar with how a flight computer works. Not as big as the shock in real-world flying though, trust me. An FG:RTE setting may make this effect more noticeable.

B21

yeah I'm assuming also the opportunity is to swap on the way to the last turnpoint if it's anywhere within potential final glide range of the finish.

How can I swap to the next waypoint on the PDA (GPS)?

Not as big as the shock in real-world flying though, trust me.

I'll say. It's always better to plan the last leg not with a serious headwind component especially after a long day with a late arrival (unless you like very late trailer-arrivals :lol: ) .

How can I swap to the next waypoint on the PDA (GPS)?

I don't think there's an easy answer... The PDA (and the C4) are reading and displaying data from the in-built FSX GPS (e.g. distance to next waypoint), and I don't think there's any event or variable you can trigger or change to get the FSX GPS (the API is actually called fs9gps) to move to the next waypoint. I didn't find anything on the web either just in terms of usability of the various FSX GPS gauges that are available. Equally to the point, like a real Garmin, the FSX GPS is automatically moving to the next waypoint when you cross the bisector of the inbound and outbound tracks, and I don't think there is any way to turn this off.

However the same API provides a fairly complex ability to query the current flightplan, and I'm currently using this to pick up the lat/long/alt of *all* the waypoints and then going back to first principles to calculate leg bearings, distances and wind vectors all to enable an FG:RTE arrival height to be computed. Using the same technique it would be theoretically possible to re-write the FSX GPS from scratch to do whatever you wanted but this would be a lot of work.

B21

*edit* to make it clear, I meant with the FG:RTE capability I'm working on, you could swap the C4 from FG:WP for most of the flight to FG:RTE when you're within a turnpoint or so of the finish, if there's any chance you'll be able to get onto final glide before the last turnpoint...