Aerosoft. Buy this engine!

darem

Thats all very pretty and all but unless it is capable of building an exact facsimile of Earth, then it won't be much use in flight sims

That's what it is all about. Please read the website of that engine. It already is a flight simulator since they are using planes in the engine.

That's what it is all about. Please read the website of that engine. It already is a flight simulator since they are using planes in the engine.

I know that but it doesn't actually state whether it can create a Geographically accurate rendition of earth. If it cant do that then the best it can ever be is a fantasy planet type flight simulator. Im not knocking it, and it seems great at what it does, I'm just saying what I want from a flight sim. Personaly I would rather fly from London to Amsterdam than between two fantasy destinations that don't really exist.

Edit: Ive just read that it can indeed make use of imported data to generate the terrain. If that is the case then it is indeed very interesting.

Visit their homepage, Stewart. It uses a 152m mesh from Google Earth, seamlessly streaming it into the engine, but the engine could handle mesh with a resolution of millimeters. It really just depends on how much data can be fed to the engine.

They demonstrate the GE mesh in another video on their youtube page.

I don't know if the engine can be used for something like landclasses (have yet to see cities or buildings), but chances are it could be adapted for that. If it runs like it runs now, imagine what it will be capable of on the hardware of 2012.

For my part, I will follow this engine very closely :-)

• Upvote 1

Wow, that's very impressive. Regardless of what game engine Aerosoft chooses, forests like that are very high on my wishlist.

Edit: I just found this video, and it shows the came engine in contrast (or rather, similarity) with Google Maps data.

Edit 2: Found this on their website, "Fully asynchronous 3D engine, majority of the algorithms running on the GPU." If that means what I think it does, that would be excellent with the new graphics cards we have these days.

Night? Seasonal? Localised? Capable of being overlaid by more detailed topographical detail and scenery addons? No runways visible, no renders of clouds and cloud shadows. Oh yeah, lets jump right on in there...

...cretinous, absolutely cretinous.

Aerosoft, DONT use this engine.

OK fanboys, just HOW are you going to prove me wrong? You don't have the information and seemingly not the level of cognitive reasoning to engage in debate and facile 7 year old child `jump up and down and wave your knickers in the air` don't cut it in flightsim.

Jeez, it's excruciating... :blink:

• Upvote 1

Snave, when you are back to human manners, please let us know. I don't think that any person here deserves your rudeness.

In the meantime: Nobody of us knows what the engine can do (except the fact that it can handle meshes down to sub-meter accuracy or import google earth data on the fly, can display street overlays and is capable of displaying the equivalent to landclasses), and I hope nobody but you believed that the title of the thread is an order Aerosoft has to obey *g*.

It might well be that the engine can't be modified in a way it has to to be a real flightsim - but on the other hand, looking at the info on their website you can't rule out the possibility, as it is a work in progress. Besides, game engines tend to be pretty adaptable, just look at what has been done to the Unreal engine or at what Bethesda has done with the engine that was licensed for Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Outerra, as far as I can tell, has no water displayed so far - but all in all it is pretty impressive and well worth a look, don't you think?

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

Snave, when you are back to human manners, please let us know. I don't think that any person here deserves your rudeness.

In the meantime: Nobody of us knows what the engine can do (except the fact that it can handle meshes down to sub-meter accuracy or import google earth data on the fly, can display street overlays and is capable of displaying the equivalent to landclasses), and I hope nobody but you believed that the title of the thread is an order Aerosoft has to obey *g*.

It might well be that the engine can't be modified in a way it has to to be a real flightsim - but on the other hand, looking at the info on their website you can't rule out the possibility, as it is a work in progress. Besides, game engines tend to be pretty adaptable, just look at what has been done to the Unreal engine or at what Bethesda has done with the engine that was licensed for Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Outerra, as far as I can tell, has no water displayed so far - but all in all it is pretty impressive and well worth a look, don't you think?

And still Snave is 100% right. We do look at this engine the whole time, but as good as it is at what the demo's show, it is not what we need. If you think that showing trees and mountains is what a sim makes, you are mistaken. It is a VERY nice engine, but as far as I can see at this moment, mainly very nice for demo's.

Snave uses direct words, often not the ones I would choose, but seriously he knows his stuff.

Seeing some of those videos I have to agree it's time for a new kind of flightsim engine.

I agree, it would be wonderful.

I dont know why we need such unnecessary barbed replys from long standing members, it causes ill feeling and puts folk off the boards here and further enthusiastic contributions IMHO.

Mathijs ... I'm sure Snave knows his stuff, but none of us here are stupid and need to be talked down to in that manner. I've had a run in with him before and I just stopped posting and looking here for about 6 months because of him ... I've been able to ignore him until now and this latest escapade of his and just had to comment.

I love what Aerosoft do, I like to contribute here, but when you see someone with gratuitous insults to other members here like that, you have to wonder if its worth it? It just leaves a sour taste and is hardly communal in spirit.

Sorry ... I'd rather not complain, but he went too far this time.

I wish there was an ignore function, then I'd never see his H**d up his A**e posts again.

:blush:

• Upvote 2

Then perhaps you'd make a contribution related to your IQ not your shoe size..?

The initial thread was asinine and pathetically childlike. The subsequent `discussion` no more than you would find in a school playground among 7 year olds.

Hence the analogy.

When you stop swinging your conkers and engage in something more than peurile discussion you will prove yourself worthy of debate, Until then, please don't bother.

You have Mathijs answer, I am blunter than he, but accurate. They were not gratuitous insults, nor insults. They were an accurate reflection of the banal level of discussion.

And I NEVER apologise for being accurate. Communal spirit means weeding the garden to ensure the roses grow because roses are prettier.

Perhaps you'd care to join us in the `grown ups` discussion about software development where I no longer have to regard you as a child that needs slapping and can instead engage in debate at an adult level? I look forward to seeing you there.

• Upvote 1

The initial thread was asinine and pathetically childlike. The subsequent `discussion` no more than you would find in a school playground among 7 year olds.

Hence the analogy.

When you stop swinging your conkers and engage in something more than peurile discussion you will prove yourself worthy of debate, Until then, please don't bother.

You have Mathijs answer, I am blunter than he, but accurate. They were not gratuitous insults, nor even insults, they were an accurate reflection of the banal level of discussion.

And I NEVER apologise for being accurate. Communal spirit means weeding the garden to ensure the roses grow.

What a head up his own [Expletives removed] you are.

Who do you think you are? an April 2004 membership start date, a seemingly gratis say what you like blunt post free card from admin here to insult other members of the forum ... and its went to your head ... Who do you think you are?

look at your own quote ... Getting it right, being blunt but honest. Ensuring others do too. Ensuring others do too? Are you for real? I dont mind blunt and honesty so long as you have tact, but the Ensuring others do too is the part that galls ... unbelievable.

Totally Unbelievable.

I honestly think you are a troll, you have found a corner of the internet where you can insult people and have admin let you do so, so you carry on, you were hoping for a reply like this so you could get stuck in, weren't you? Go for it you sad little man ... see what happens when we have a free for all insult ###### fest ... but apparently its only you that is allowed to do that :mad:

Admin, please delete my account (drama queen stuff I know) but this is seriously [Expletive removed] up stuff giving a long standing member free reign like this.

Adios.

• Upvote 3

Hence the analogy.

You have Mathijs answer, I am blunter than he, but accurate. They were not gratuitous insults, nor insults. They were an accurate reflection of the banal level of discussion.

And I NEVER apologise for being accurate. Communal spirit means weeding the garden to ensure the roses grow because roses are prettier.

Perhaps you'd care to join us in the `grown ups` discussion about software development where I no longer have to regard you as a child that needs slapping and can instead engage in debate at an adult level? I look forward to seeing you there.

That kind of comment is just downright nasty and not needed on these forums. It's certainly not the type of post I come to these forums to read or be subjected to.

• Upvote 4

Hence the analogy.

May I, in all respectfulness, suggest that you seek counceling on your social skills?

• Upvote 4