Landing lights suck!

Old Fastmover

Sorry for being graphic, but that's my feeling about the problem. Not only F-16 but all the aircraft in Acceleration. Have read the mail and even purchased 3D Redux which i'm not exactly happy with either. The lights in FSX without Acceleration were great. Am I correct in understanding that SP1, SP2 and Acceleration are the problem? Can the landing lights in Acceleration be corrected without 3D Redux? I realize nothing is simple in this business, but a simplified explanation would be greatly appreciated.

OK i'm not geting any answers - so let me say this. I uninstalled everything and started over. First just FSX, the landing lights were great! Having read the mail I understood Acceleration & SP2 were the problem. So I tried installing the F-16 but it wouldn't - I had to add Acceleration and reinstalled 3D Redux. Before making the manual changes for F-16 I checked a few FSX aircraft. Learjet was good, but 172's illumination of the ramp was poor. The landing light in F-16 is not there! Landing light switch on, as well as the main power switch. The light on the nose gear is illuminated but light is not illustrated on the ground.

Before making the manual changes to the Aircraft CFG files, I updated F-16 to ver 1.2. Then to my surprise when I opened an aircarft CFG file - it was almost the same as James Chams 2008 changes for the Redux Acceleration SP2 fix. Only light 7 in both files are different. Everything else seems to read the same. I will make only those changes in one selected F-16 and see what happens. If I must change every single aircraft CFG file just to make one model work - tell me now!

Hello Old Fastmover,

If you want to change the lights in all the aircraft then you will need to copy and paste the sections to each aircraft.cfg.

Feb 6th, 2010

Thanks Shawn, will get back with you later. Here in Northern Virginia we have had 2 feet of snow and it's still snowing! Any other comments are welcomed.

Old fastmover

You can try as hard as you want but you won't be able to get the lights of the F-16 to illuminate the ground. This was a problem we ran into during the beta and has never been fixed. For some reason it can't be modeled into the F-16. Sorry.

IRIS included ground-illuminating landing lights on their F-16D, but they do not appear in the area covered by the collimated HUD gauage. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is an FSX-limitation. Even if the Aerosoft F-16 included landing lights I think the same problem would be present. Having landing lights is great, but the fact that they don't illuminate the ground where you need them most makes them almost pointless. I believe there was also some talk about sacrificing the landing lights in order to have the more advanced HUD, which I agree with :). I have TrackIR, so seeing the HUD actually "reflect" - and thereby move - on that lens as I move my head is great.

Monday Feb 8th, 2010 Thanks everyone! We got 32.5" of snow and to add insult to injury it's going to snow again tomorrow - 3 to 8". Most everything is closed still and about 100,000 people still have no electricity. My wife & I have shoveled until we just can't any longer. For senior citizens we always run circles around the younger folks on the block.

OK back to the issue! I uninstalled everything once again, defragged and installed in the following order: FSX, Acceleration, ran FSX. Aerosoft F-16, F-16 missions, ran F-16. Aerosoft F-16 update to v1.21. Ran F-16 again. 3D Redux Lights for FSX. Read the manual which I didn't previously. Update 3D Redux Lights for FSX at A2A Forums - update v1.2a (swlites utility 1.2a).

Ran FSX now with Shockwave lights - Baron lights OK. King Air lights OK. LearJet 45 lights OK. F-18 lights Poor ground coverage! Will follow the instructions in the Shockwave 3D Lights manual and get back with you. There's a lot to do as I will make changes in EVERY F-16 aircraft. Good talking with you!

Tuesday Feb 9th, 2010. I followed the Shockwave 3D Lights Manual and changed settings in most of the F-16 models. In every case the landing lights did not illuminate the ground. Frustrated, I emailed the A2A Simulation (Shockwave) team and got this reply:

Hello,

unfortunately due to the way the F16 was modeled this is not possible to

correctly add 3rd party lights to the aircraft.

Please see this forum thread for a few details;

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=12649

Sorry to have to bring you the bad news,

thanks

Lewis - A2A

Check the link, it's informative. Much as I hate to give up - I will! Hope someone manages to develop a decent fix. What's the sense in having a product that won't deliver!

Regards everyone!

Tuesday Feb 9th, 2010. I followed the Shockwave 3D Lights Manual and changed settings in most of the F-16 models. In every case the landing lights did not illuminate the ground. Frustrated, I emailed the A2A Simulation (Shockwave) team and got this reply:

Hello,

unfortunately due to the way the F16 was modeled this is not possible to

correctly add 3rd party lights to the aircraft.

Please see this forum thread for a few details;

http://a2asimulation...hp?f=32&t=12649

Sorry to have to bring you the bad news,

thanks

Lewis - A2A

Check the link, it's informative. Much as I hate to give up - I will! Hope someone manages to develop a decent fix. What's the sense in having a product that won't deliver!

Regards everyone!

Yes, this is what I've told you before. The F-16 hasn't landing lights that illuminate the ground because of the way it's modeled. Sorry for you if such a small thing ruins the whole product for you. Personally I learned to life with it and it don't bother me much anymore. It's your loss.

It's an acceptable trade-off for me :). I don't have the Shockwave lights, but default FS lights have always disappointed me in general. Projecting a white triangle on the ground in front of my aircraft that washes out the ground is not my idea of lighting the place up, hehe.

If you have trouble with night ops you could ways try the FSX night vision addon that was previously mentioned here: http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=26370 A couple of friends and I use it and it works great.

I don't mind taking heat for my remark, wasn't going to say this - but I flew flighter aircraft perhaps before many of you were born. My first was F-100 and the last F-4. Night ops requires brief use of landing lights, it's critical. I don't know how it's done today but in my time inop lights would ground an aircraft! I'm impressed with Aerosoft's F16, the detail is amazing. But i'm also a Falcon 4 flier and although they also have teething problems, time and effort have put them much further along. That has jaded my feelings in moments of performance frustration. Keep up the good work Aerosoft! And thanks everyone for the remarks, you're a great bunch!

Old Fastmover

... But i'm also a Falcon 4 flier ...

Do you have Allied Force and/or the original? They don't look as pretty as modern sims, but what they lack in aesthetics they sure as heck make up for in realism. Add to that the number of quality addons available for both F4 and F4AF and a HOTAS Cougar and I'm in heaven :D.

Do you have Allied Force and/or the original? They don't look as pretty as modern sims, but what they lack in aesthetics they sure as heck make up for in realism. Add to that the number of quality addons available for both F4 and F4AF and a HOTAS Cougar and I'm in heaven biggrin.gif.

-------------------------------------------------

My son introduced me to Falcon 4 back in its beginning. I had retired from the Air Force, was contract flying and had a serious heart attack. The damage ended my flying career. I used to feel sorry for myself and sulk. The first computer flight sim he showed me was an early MSFS version. I thought it was crude and didn't take to it. Then Falcon 4 - it was amazing even then. Now its Falcon 4AF and yes HOTAS Cougar with pedals. For my son, the Viper was entertainment. For me it was trying to relive the old days. Now it's all about proficiency and trying to keep up. Every flight has to be the real thing - no mistakes! It's like the old days, if Uncle entrusted me with a multimillon dollar aircraft - then it's my job to do the mission and bring it home in one piece! I enjoy F-16 in FSX, to fly in a non hostile training environment. But I hope in time that Aerosoft or some of the gifted users bring their version to a degree similar to Falcon. Homeland air defense missions would be a great start with realistic air refueling operations. Deploying overseas in FSX on realistic combat tours would be an outstanding dream. F-16 is a combat aircraft and it would be a shame not to operate it in its environment!

Old Fastmover

• 4 weeks later...

maybe fsxfleet.com is soomething for you???

For those who want to bypass this light problems:

Found a better link to fsxnightvision addon so we don't bother sim-outhouse.com for only downloading without joining!!! :angry:

You can find fsx NV on www.simnetwork.com: on the left of the screen -small letters- click download. Then you'll find several addons. Click on NV and then you'll have to wait 10 minutes. At 1 sec click download (all accellerators must be off). Download will start. Am sorry there is no better link I think. Read carefully then add dll and cfg . Works amazing.:rolleyes:

experienced some problems with the n_v.bmp original size 1024x1024px. My panel_2d.bmp (dir: F16 AM Display) has a size of 800x600px. Have renamed panel_2d.bmp to n_v.bmp so now the n_v.bmp has size 800x600 px. Now there is no problem with changing form cold and dark to ready to fly all is visible.:rolleyes:

n_v.bmp

• 1 month later...

have seen posted the wrong bitmap this is the n_v.bmp at size 800x600 px. I had to format my pc and reinstall fsx. Had problems with the renaming there are only two files so I get messed up 'running' in 'circles'. Have edited the 1024 with paint. has now size 800x600 px black circle in the middle. have positioned at the cockpit panel where you get the choice from cold and dark, ready to fly. in the panel.cfg I have position 1 make always a backup of the orig or reinstall the f-16.

This is the n_v.bmp. at 800x600 px and the rar file with this n_v.bmp included. also my edited panel.txt Am sorry for the lot's of messages am sometimes too fast.

FSX_NV_MOD.zip

n_v.bmp

Panel.txt

Hello is it possible for nav lights and strobe lights to flash like real , i mean the nav lights must anime on /off the same time and the strobe tail light must strobe every 1.5 sec .. any cfg edit ?

please see the video for reference ...

time 0.53

(nygagoldmember — 19 april 2008 — Preparation for night flying. '31 Tactical Air Base Poznan Krzesiny' --------------------- www.31blot.mil.pl ---...

'31 Tactical Air Base Poznan Krzesiny'

---------------------

www.31blot.mil.pl

---------------------

Categorie: Auto's & voertuigen

Labels:

Plane 16 F-16 Falcon Polish Army night)

F-16 LIGHTS IN THE REAL WORLD

strobe= anticol big flashing: top of vertical tail (white) appr. ~3 sec

wing/tail= nav. lights wingtips flashin: right (green) left (red), on either side of inlet right (green) left (red) flashing, tail above engine outlet (white) and white left and right ( triangle) also flashing all simultanious every ~sec.

wing/tail= nav lights also static mode!!!

fuselage= formation lights not showed

landing/taxi light static under inlet.

FSX

F-16 AM RNLAF

strobe= anticol flashing top vert. tail ~1 sec white not a big flash but equal to nav light flash. 2 white static on both sides of the tail.

wing/tail= nav. Lights wingtips flashing: right (green) left (red), on either side of inlet right (green) left (red) flashing, every sec. order: seems to go from green to red .Tail above engine outlet (white) on the begin of tail left and right (white) all 3 not flashing

fuselage lights=

formation lights on top after cockpit (white) on the begin of tail left and right (white)

underneath landing gear (white) all not flashing 4 lights

landing/taxilight stacic under inlet (white) doesn't illuminate ground.

So that's a lot of lights haha.

Quote:

Hello is it possible for nav lights and strobe lights to flash like real , i mean the nav lights must anime on /off the same time and the strobe tail light must strobe every 1.5 sec .. any cfg edit ?

Answer: Think this is possible for the nav lights flashing at the same time ~ 1 sec, but there is also a static mode I think that is more difficult.

Also the strobe at ~3 sec maybe possible. But not the big real live flash. From 2 Nm it looks alright.

Correct me if there are some misstakes.

have posted the original FSX lights on youtube.

try to look at the config soon.

are there more real life f16 lights samples??

(nygagoldmember — 19 april 2008 — Preparation for night flying. '31 Tactical Air Base Poznan Krzesiny' --------------------- www.31blot.mil.pl ---...

'31 Tactical Air Base Poznan Krzesiny'

---------------------

www.31blot.mil.pl

---------------------

Categorie: Auto's & voertuigen

Labels:

Plane 16 F-16 Falcon Polish Army night)

F-16 LIGHTS IN THE REAL WORLD

strobe= anticol big flashing: top of vertical tail (white) appr. ~3 sec

wing/tail= nav. lights wingtips flashin: right (green) left (red), on either side of inlet right (green) left (red) flashing, tail above engine outlet (white) and white left and right ( triangle) also flashing all simultanious every ~sec.

wing/tail= nav lights also static mode!!!

fuselage= formation lights not showed

landing/taxi light static under inlet.

FSX

F-16 AM RNLAF

strobe= anticol flashing top vert. tail ~1 sec white not a big flash but equal to nav light flash. 2 white static on both sides of the tail.

wing/tail= nav. Lights wingtips flashing: right (green) left (red), on either side of inlet right (green) left (red) flashing, every sec. order: seems to go from green to red .Tail above engine outlet (white) on the begin of tail left and right (white) all 3 not flashing

fuselage lights=

formation lights on top after cockpit (white) on the begin of tail left and right (white)

underneath landing gear (white) all not flashing 4 lights

landing/taxilight stacic under inlet (white) doesn't illuminate ground.

So that's a lot of lights haha.

Quote:

Answer: Think this is possible for the nav lights flashing at the same time ~ 1 sec, but there is also a static mode I think that is more difficult.

Also the strobe at ~3 sec maybe possible. But not the big real live flash. From 2 Nm it looks alright.

Correct me if there are some misstakes.

have posted the original FSX lights on youtube.

try to look at the config soon.

are there more real life f16 lights samples??

• 3 weeks later...

please see the video for reference ...

time 0.53

Result soon. had to wait for SWF Redux. order is pending.