Aerosoft Airbus X

Last image of the day... we are implementing the nav display and one of our main concerns was the hit on framerates. Well we should not have worried. Even though there are tens of thousand lines of code running (and we decided to stick to XML so you can tweak what you buy) I am still getting 40 fps average on my <750 Euro) system with pretty high settings. As we aim to stay around 25 fps on my system we can still add a lot of stuff.

That's a short runway at Lelystad X lol

Cheers,

André

• Upvote 2

Wow. That VC is looking great. I'm not sure how much more often I'm gonna say that, but it really looks genuine to me. Simply stunning.

You are absolutely right about that price, too. 30 euros is indeed a sweet spot for many people. 25-30, mostly. Go higher, and people start to doubt, or at least, I will start to doubt. One will have to tell me that the plane is of extraordinary high quality before I buy a plane of 50 euros. The PMDG FS9/FSX combo package, for example, is 82 euros... That's an awful lot, and I've been in doubt for the past year or so whether or not to buy it. I know I will enjoy the plan when I get it, but it's simply too much to spend right now on a virtual thing.

Tell you what: I will buy the Airbus, Mathijs, but I'll need to know for sure it's got good framerates. Any idea how the planes performes next to the Twinotter? That plane is super-detailed and has FPS like a default plane - a winner, for as far as I'm concerned.

Wow. That VC is looking great. I'm not sure how much more often I'm gonna say that, but it really looks genuine to me. Simply stunning.

You are absolutely right about that price, too. 30 euros is indeed a sweet spot for many people. 25-30, mostly. Go higher, and people start to doubt, or at least, I will start to doubt. One will have to tell me that the plane is of extraordinary high quality before I buy a plane of 50 euros. The PMDG FS9/FSX combo package, for example, is 82 euros... That's an awful lot, and I've been in doubt for the past year or so whether or not to buy it. I know I will enjoy the plan when I get it, but it's simply too much to spend right now on a virtual thing.

Tell you what: I will buy the Airbus, Mathijs, but I'll need to know for sure it's got good framerates. Any idea how the planes performes next to the Twinotter? That plane is super-detailed and has FPS like a default plane - a winner, for as far as I'm concerned.

Everything is relative ...and I could spend 80 or 90 or even 100 euros for a complete simulated airbus if at the PMDG level, and I'm sure That Aerosoft could be a valid alternative to a PMDG Boeing centric :-)

but maybe I'm the only one lol!

• Aerosoft

I think you will loose abut 20% in comparison with the Twotter. Assuming you got a 512 Mb or better graphics card.

• Upvote 2

We have experimented with that a lot, but we never found a way to make it look okay and be reasonable in load. There is one aircraft that does it the way it looks good but that takes half the fps away, hardly acceptable. Does anybody know of an addon aircraft that does it nice without causing such a drop? We will not do any icing on the wind shield as the Bus has an automated windshield anti ice system so unless a whole bunch of systems are broken there should not be any ice on the windshields.

Mathijs,

Ever thought about a still image to display windshield rain effects? Like in the screenshot below, it doesn't need much animation. For side windows it's convincing enough even without animation (and looks better too because of bigger bitmap size). For the front windshield it could be a combination of still image (striped wiper area with static drops outside that area) and some small animations of single drops (like FS 2D rain effect). All this ONLY when on the ground of course, no rain effect in flight.

Regards, Gerrit

precip.jpg

Second Post here...

Please forgive me if this has been answered. But seeing as Air New Zealand who has 12 A320s already, and is going to be launch of the Sharklet in 2012, will the Sharklets be modeled?

i think aerosoft said that it won't be in the initial release but that if there was a demand for it later, that they may. Don't quote me though! That's just what i think i remember reading.

-Matt

This is looking really good.

I was curious. Will we be able to look out the windscreen and see the nose of the aircraft and out the side window and see the wingtips?

It's not a big thing, but, for me it adds some visual realism. Especially being able to see the wingtips out the side windows when you are taxing.

This is looking really good.

I was curious. Will we be able to look out the windscreen and see the nose of the aircraft and out the side window and see the wingtips?

It's not a big thing, but, for me it adds some visual realism. Especially being able to see the wingtips out the side windows when you are taxing.

If I remember correctly, there will not be any wingtip or sidewinder views. Mainly because they want this to be a "Pilots POV" or something. Maybe I read a different thread though.

• Aerosoft

If I remember correctly, there will not be any wingtip or sidewinder views. Mainly because they want this to be a "Pilots POV" or something. Maybe I read a different thread though.

No this is different, we will not make the fake cabin views but all that's visible from the cockpit "should" be implemented. Problem is that it adds a lot of polygons to the VC. We also need to check what is actually visible, I actually doubt you can see the nose unless you stand up and lean over the glareshield.

Update... We are now pretty sure you can only see the wing if you got your nose on the window. Now in FSX this creates problems as it is not possible to move the viewpoint very close to an object (you get what it called cutting). So no use to do that. The nose is visible and in our model. I'll attach an image we done during one of the measuring sessions. What you see there is 100% the same as we got it in FSX.

post-43-126476582531_thumb.jpg

The Pictures look greatyou do good work but do you also work on the Airbus A319 or not because I think a lot Simmers like to fly this plane to me too because in your discription is only A321 A320 and no A319 so only to planes from the A32X family.

I think you will loose abut 20% in comparison with the Twotter. Assuming you got a 512 Mb or better graphics card.

Okay, so that's a pity. My graphics card only has 256MB... I'll guess I'll simply sit and wait, see what happens. Perhaps I'll end up getting it anyway. I mean, I even got the PMDG 747X and flew with it for a while before deciding the FPS at bigger airports was disastrously low.

Stunning development here. The model and VC are works of art.

Obviously you have done the market research to determine what the majority of your potential customer base sees as being essential and desirable. Furthermore, it is fully understandable that an all singing all dancing every system functioning Airbus in this price sector is a labour of love only. The return on investment is just not high enough perhaps at a unit cost of say €30 to include some of the systems that make Airbus aircraft what they are. Perhaps it is exactly this hurdle that has led to so many delays and failures of competitors in the Airbus simulation market, like AirlinerXP and AS...

That said, and fully respecting your decisions to develop and release your products (of which i have bought several over the years...) as you see fit, I would have liked to see the support of standard departure and arrivals, particularly given the fact that Navigraph is being used. In addition, the fact that the IAE variant being modelled uses the CFM style readouts is perhaps a shame, though I cannot begin to assess what that entails to develop the EPR readouts...

Wishing you all the best for the completion of development and release and looking forward to the reviews!

Andrew

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

The Pictures look greatyou do good work but do you also work on the Airbus A319 or not because I think a lot Simmers like to fly this plane to me too because in your discription is only A321 A320 and no A319 so only to planes from the A32X family.

Yes only A320/A321. Perhaps more later.

Guest AngelsAndAirwaves

Hello AngelsAndAirwaves,

Are you referring to the Camera Views in FSX .

is this a question? lol

so the normal fsx views will be included?^^

Our basic idea remains that we aim for the educated and demanding customer that is limited in time. Now this clearly separates us from one of our main developer groups, PMDG, that aim for a more complete, but far more complicated simulation. Market forces are driving the price of their products down, certainly in the US market. Though there are dev teams that think there is a market for 85 Euro dollar addons we have been doing this for a while and we know that market is just not there. So we got a solid idea on prices, 30 euro (inc EEC VAT) seems to be a sweet spot. I am known to buy stuff that expensive on impulse.

I'm sold.

I do like er... detailed simulations like PMDG releases, specially for the heavy manuals and everything you got to learn (which for me is often the most fun part), but in the end, so I found out, I always fly the plane in a very basic way, so all on automatic on the overhead, no failures, simple flightplans (I never ever know what SID or STAR to use so I never use them) etc. All the data I put in the FMC/MCDU is always the same and it become a boring thing to do... So I think this Airbus is EXACTLY what I need: good looking, a bit of depth on matters that matter to me and that's it. I also like the price a lot (with other planes, like the MD11, I have the idea I pay a lot for things I do not use in the end). Even the fact that it comes without all kinds of views is exactly what I like, because I never ever leave the VC and have no need for all that fps-eating stuff!

So although I like it that things are simulated even when I don't use them, I think that in the end this is the kind of plane for me (when it comes to airliners, that is). I've been waiting a long time for a nice Airbus (my previous one was from PSS and it was my favorite FS9 plane), so I am happy with this one! Hope to be able to fly it soon!

• Aerosoft

Here are a few more shots of the final night VC.

From this moment on we'll slow down news on this development to give our other Airbus project a bit more room. We are still planning to release that next week and it is least as promising as this Airbus. In fact that project has already been reviewed and gotten a gold award, more news on that soon.

So don't be upset about a slower news rate for 10 days or so, things are in full progress!

post-43-12647781778_thumb.jpg

post-43-126477818628_thumb.jpg

post-43-126477819768_thumb.jpg

post-43-126477820001_thumb.jpg

post-43-126477820181_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

I very much like this project. cool.gif

To which extent will this airbus support the "shared cockpit" functionality? There is an increasing demand for this mode of operation.