NEW YEAR Question of the day (Last one)

J.Schweigler

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A simple mechanical trick that could achieve this would be too place the linkage to the ailerons not in the middle of the wing but straight below the covering of the wing. Depending on how the ailerons are controlled by the linkage, if the linkage would be placed at the top of the wing the linkage would be of neutral lenght with the wings in neutral position. I the wings would flex downwards the linkage would become shorter in relation to the lenght of the center of the wing. Other way around it would get longer in relation to the wing center if the wings would flex upwards. A shorter linkage would result in the ailerons going up. This would be the most simple solution to do load alleviation without any servos etc, just by placing the linkage in a different vertical level in the wing.

Hope you can understand what I mean....

I also have another answer:

Is this Manouevre of both Ailerons Upwards called the "Crow", often used in Gliders?

Please tell me if this, or my Gust Alleviation answer is correct?

Here is a picture showing (I hope so) what I was talking about...

Blue line is fuselage and wings. Red line is aileron linkage, black and green dots show the relation between the linkage lenght and the center of the wing. I know, it keeps confusing me, too, but I am not an artist...

post-6031-126264187056_thumb.jpg

WOW Lennard B. EXACTLY RIGHT!

How the hell did you find out?

What you see is a H36 in a 4.5 g flare out.

This produces a strong wingflex.

The aileron linkages are mounted on the lower side on the wings wich results in shorter linkages if the wing bends up. This produces the ailerons up wich ends in lower load on the outer wings.

So this is an easy full automatic overstress prevention.

This is what was missing all the time.

Here is a picture where the linkage is located

Please login to display this image.

I am very sorry "Pies". You fought hard, but the main answer was missing.

Lennard, please contact Shaun for getting the free product.

Best regards Joachim

Awwwww dangit. I did 5 hours of research on that, even emptied my bookcasesad.gifsad.gifsad.gif .

EDIT: That picture illustrates what I said... That movement is caused by "Reflexing". That is the term for it. The picture could also be annotated as "The Crow".

I'm very disappointed as I knew that all along every since I found out through research, however I didn't know how you wanted it explaining.

Very disappointed...mad.gif

no "Pies" sorry, reflexing is changing the airfoil of the wing without using a seperate flap.

It hat nothing to do with normal wingflex and don't explains how the aileron up mechanism works.

Lennards picture showes the wing from the front view not from the side as airfoil. These are different things.

And "the crow" explains nothing. You sent 2 times links that describe something, but both descriptions were not the searched answer.

I am very sorry. You really tried hard to find out, but you didn't do.

No prize for me... 2 out of 3 right from the first post though (more or less), I'm not disappointed.

Nice one Lennart. Congratz

Sorry, question 3 was the main topic here. You didn't knew 3. Maybe next time ;-)

Looks good on the model, nice work there, I guess it´s not to easy to teach FS how to do such things...

Thank you :-)

No it isn't easy, but nothing against what we are doing with the Huey at the moment. THIS is difficult.

Bests Joachim

Hmm... I beg to differ. I think you are misunderstanding me in the way that I explain it.

I knew the correct answer, regardless of how hard I tried I could never find a picture like that. So I tried to explain in detail.

The point I'm making is - My description was geared purely towards that Diagram.

Sorry, question 3 was the main topic here. You didn't knew 3. Maybe next time ;-)

In my own defence, it never (until the very end) was very clear you were talking about the technical aspect. At least, it wasn't clear to me.

However, as I said, I'm not dissapointed.

You're the judge, and I accept your decision. Interesting question none the less!

Lars

Thanks for your fairness Tyrion.

It isn't easy to ask around the corner. Especially when you have 3 questions and English is not your native language.

But I guess now, you know what I meant all the time?

If you're interested, I could exlain it one more time with pictures.

The mechanics are simple but very effective.

Hoffmann was ahead of the times.

The plane was built 1982 and had automatic control links and even completely back-folding wings (look at the link)

Please login to display this image.

The plane was even approved to do basic aerobatics, but today it is prohibited

Best regards Joachim

Yes, now I know what you meant. English isn't my native language either, so I understand your problem.

No need to explain further, at least not for me. but maybe others are interested.

I'm studying to be an aircraft mechanic, so I think I know how aircraft work lol :P

Great quiz anyway!