Eurowings Pro BAE146 sometimes Does Not Capture Localizer

canadagoose

I flew from EKCH - EDDF last night and attempted a landing on Runway 25R (109.50; 249 degrees). I tuned NAV1 to 109.50, which I know has changed in the RW but that's irrelevant here, and entered the course of 249. All of a sudden the aircraft started to turn away from the localizer even though I was below the glideslope with "Approach Hold" & "NAV 1 HOLD" buttons engaged. I wanted to see if maybe it was a problem with the MEGA Frankfurt scenery so I loaded up the Wilco 735 to try the same approach as the Wilco is usually pretty reliable when performing such approaches. The Wilco 735 captured the localizer and glideslope as I would expect and I made a flawless landing. Has anyone else encountered similar performance when using the Eurowings Pro BAE 146 for localizer approaches? Maybe this was just a small hiccup with the BAE sim because I have made very good approaches before as I really like to fly this aircraft. I don't want to give up on this aircraft, but at the same time I don't like having to worry about whether a sim, Payware or Not is going to perform as I would expect at critical times of a flight like a straight forward localizer approach.

Regards,

Tom

I flew from EKCH - EDDF last night and attempted a landing on Runway 25R (109.50; 249 degrees). I tuned NAV1 to 109.50, which I know has changed in the RW but that's irrelevant here, and entered the course of 249. All of a sudden the aircraft started to turn away from the localizer even though I was below the glideslope with "Approach Hold" & "NAV 1 HOLD" buttons engaged. I wanted to see if maybe it was a problem with the MEGA Frankfurt scenery so I loaded up the Wilco 735 to try the same approach as the Wilco is usually pretty reliable when performing such approaches. The Wilco 735 captured the localizer and glideslope as I would expect and I made a flawless landing. Has anyone else encountered similar performance when using the Eurowings Pro BAE 146 for localizer approaches? Maybe this was just a small hiccup with the BAE sim because I have made very good approaches before as I really like to fly this aircraft. I don't want to give up on this aircraft, but at the same time I don't like having to worry about whether a sim, Payware or Not is going to perform as I would expect at critical times of a flight like a straight forward localizer approach.

Regards,

Tom

Just an obvious point but if the NAV/GPS switch is in the GPS position this behaviour will occur...

Geoff

I've one question. I just bought this wonderful aircraft, and I really like it. The only thing is, he doesn't 'glide' on the glideslope automaticly. You can see the glideslope in the screen, but he doesn't desent like he should, so i have to manually keep on the GS. Is the GS not simulated or what?

Joost

Guest Hodge001

Hi Joost

You have found one of the “features” of the BAe Autopilot, on the approach you have to fly her down the glide slope using the throttles to keep the aircrafts descent on the glide slope path, use to much throttle and you will fly right over the airfield, and to little you don't want to think about, don’t worry to much, it’s actually harder to type it than to do it after you have done it a few times.

She is a I suppose the transition from the steam gauges and no FMC aircraft, to the fully automated Airbus’s (or is it Airbi) that most FS pilots are used to, and she makes you think about your flying, which for me especially is no bad thing.

I hope it helps.

Jim Hodkinson

OK, I got it to work. Thank you all for your input. I do appreciate the help. What I did that I wasn't doing doing before when on the base leg of my approach was to switch on "NAV HOLD" only. Before I had switched the "NAV HOLD" and "Approach HOLD" at the same time. now, as soon as NAV HOLD made the turn to the localizer and was on a fairly straight in course I switched the Approach HOLD button on so that both were lit up on the MCP. Also as Jim stated I applied the throttles when needed to hold the Glideslope Path. The approach and landing was flawless. Thanks again Shaun and everyone else for your help in solving this little problem.

Best Regards,

Tom

I tried it on Schiphol again, and i activated the nav1 freq, and she did it for me too. I have one last problem, and when that's solved, I can finally enyoy the BAe146. The problem is, when i enter a route in the FMC, the aircraft doesn't recognise the route. On the eifis, i can't see the route and the lnav isn't working. Only when i load the default flights in the FMC it works. How to solve this?

BTW: i use the navigraph 0913 update

Guest Hodge001

Hi

Just a thought but have you entered into the FMC when programming it the following information

The ZFW, your reserve fuel and the OAT.

As without this information you will not have completed the FMC programming, which can mean that you will not see the route in the display, what may be happening with the loading of two default flights is that the data from those flights is being left behind, and when you enter your route it is using that data to complete the programming and allowing the route to be displayed.

I hope its of some use.

Jim Hodkinson

Guest Hodge001

That’s great news, I’m glad to hear that you are up and running with the BAe 146, have fun with your flights.

Jim Hodkinson

One last question. Do the engines take the fuel from the center or wing tanks? I was just flying and suddenly all 4 engines turned off. I had switched on all my fuel pumps and the centertank pump on auto.

Guest Hodge001

Hi

On nearly if not all aircraft you would fill the outer wing tanks first followed by the inner wing tanks and then the centre tank if needed, although some aircraft require a set amount of fuel to be in the centre tank regardless of if it is required for the flight or not.

So the usage if you do have to have fuel in the centre tank would be to empty the centre tank first and then use the fuel in the outer of wing tanks, I pretty sure that on the Boeings for example they do not use the cross feed at all, except in an emergency situation, so it may be that using the pump on auto could be forcing a centre tank drain and not switching to the outer tanks when the centre tank is empty, by the way what readings are you getting from the fuel gauges when this happens, do you still actually have fuel showing in the outer tanks.

I’m sorry to be so vague with the reply, but to be honest I have never got into a similar situation, as most of my flights have only required the outer tanks to be used.

Not much help I know.

Jim Hodkinson

One last question. Do the engines take the fuel from the center or wing tanks? I was just flying and suddenly all 4 engines turned off. I had switched on all my fuel pumps and the centertank pump on auto.

If you look at the forum history or even try a search, you will find that this has nothing to do with tank usage, it is an altitude thing. It is also mentioned in the checklist and has been the cause of innumerable repetitive topics on the same issue, so all the answers are there for the searching!

Guest Hodge001

If you are referring to the fact that without the fuel pumps being on the engines will cut at approximately FL200, then I don’t think that applies as the fuel pumps on this occasion are on.

Jim Hodkinson

• 5 months later...

Regards,

Tom

Just asking a thing here, it looks in the pictures at "secure simmarket" that the Eurowings bae 146 should be able to set blocks and refuling truck so now how can you do that?

Hell Tim,

The only thing you see attached to the BAe-146 is the Pushback truck when used.

But should there not be a GPU truck? Have little problem with the pushback truck, I has put it on "M" as command but everytime I press "M" the truck just shows for like about 1 sec then dissapear what is wrong? ;P

But should there not be a GPU truck? Have little problem with the pushback truck, I has put it on "M" as command but everytime I press "M" the truck just shows for like about 1 sec then dissapear what is wrong? ;P

There is a GPU truck inbuilt which appears when the GPU is active (and the parking brakes are on). Make sure to dismiss the GPU with the panel switch rather than just releasing the brakes or it might appear there again in flight!

For the pushback tug - you only get the inbuilt one working correctly when you use the pushback feature of the panel. If you just use the FS pushback command, the truck appears and the disappears again (as you have found).

Cheers,

Geoff