Question of the day <----------------------

I'd like to questions some of the answers (not trying to be a spoil-sport here):

1.) As far as I'm aware, the TU-95 Bear is a Four-Engine Turboprop Aircraft, which is faster than the TU-114

2.) Unsure about this, but surely to lower IAS you want less of a Headwind?

3.) Aerosoft got this correct

4.) Correct too

5.) laugh.gif Again correct

6.) I've always known the "Thunderscreech" to be the Loudest Aircraft on Takeoff, not sure about the Valkyrie

7.) Correct

8.) Reverse Immelman and a Split-S must be the same thing, or else there's a problem here

9.) Right. Whilst the Dornier did have a Dining Room, etc. So did The Hindenburg Airship! Does the Hindenburg not qualify as an Aircraft?

10.) Correct

Taking all this into account, I have 6, maybe 7 correct on this Quiz. Good fun, but please Aerosoft, review some of your answers in the first post.

Best Regards,

Pies

Had some wrong ones, too, I guessed the Tu-142 Bear F as fastest turboprop with 500kts, even when most records said it was the Tu-114 (Maximum speed listet as 470kts)

The compass answer confuses me a bit too, the needle should usually point northwards, though it can have a difference of up to 180° on some places (the field lines of the magnetic field on the earth don´t go linear from pole to pole...), which means it would point southwards...

I put in the Thunderscreech, too, but depending on how the definition of aircraft is, the Saturn V rocket is supposed to be the loudest sound ever heard that was not caused by a catastrophic event.

Had some wrong ones, too, I guessed the Tu-142 Bear F as fastest turboprop with 500kts, even when most records said it was the Tu-114 (Maximum speed listet as 470kts)

The compass answer confuses me a bit too, the needle should usually point northwards, though it can have a difference of up to 180° on some places, which means it would point southwards...

I would agree about the Compass there. Surely a Magnetic Compass would point South (always followed the rule opposites attract/alike repels)

hello all !

about the loudest aircraft, i've found this aircraft : the XF-84H

On the ground, they were reportedly audible 25 mi (40 km) away becaues of the blades on the XF-84H's propeller traveled faster than the speed of sound even at idle thrust, producing a continuous visible sonic boom that radiated laterally from the propellers for hundreds of yards !! i'm maybe wrong, this is according to wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XF-84H_Thunderscreech

a lot of fun!

hello all !

about the loudest aircraft, i've found this aircraft : the XF-84H

On the ground, they were reportedly audible 25 mi (40 km) away becaues of the blades on the XF-84H's propeller traveled faster than the speed of sound even at idle thrust, producing a continuous visible sonic boom that radiated laterally from the propellers for hundreds of yards !! i'm maybe wrong, this is according to wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia...._Thunderscreech

a lot of fun!

I too got the same answer, in fact whenever I search for Loudest Aircraft the most common result is the Thunderscreech.

here the answers I gave:

1. Tupolev Tu-114 (870 km/h)

2. (Aerosoft was right here!)

3. (Aerosoft was right here!)

4. (Aerosoft was right here!)

5. From the French phrase message d’observation MÉTéorologique pour l’Aviation Régulière

6. was: XF-84H "Thunderscreech"/"Mighty Ear Banger" (could be heard from 25 mi (40 km) away.)

is: Space Shuttle xD

7. In 1910 on some Airships to make the reverse thrust or even back up!

8. Split S

9. LZ-129 Hindenburg

10. No Aircraft had it's maiden flight on that day, since the 32nd of December does not exist! (Aerosoft was right here!)

I removed the answers in which Aerosoft was definitely correct, but left thos in which were correct or which I think to be questionably.

IMHO the problem is, there are no available reports how loud the XF-84H was... Neither miles nor kilometres are physical units of noise intensity. And "The XF-84H was quite possibly the loudest aircraft ever built.", it doesn't say anything concrete.

I think this quiz was too complicated even to decide which are the correct answers. :)

Heheh, I think we all deserve a Download for our Complex questioning skills!

I think (personally) the questios were not concrete enough. A simple extra word such as "What is the official Fastest Turboprop" instead of "What is the Fastest Turboprop".

Who were the actual winners? I'd like to see how many they got and what they put.

here the answers I gave:

1. Tupolev Tu-114 (870 km/h)

2. (Aerosoft was right here!)

3. (Aerosoft was right here!)

4. (Aerosoft was right here!)

5. From the French phrase message d'observation MÉTéorologique pour l'Aviation Régulière

6. was: XF-84H "Thunderscreech"/"Mighty Ear Banger" (could be heard from 25 mi (40 km) away.)

is: Space Shuttle xD

7. In 1910 on some Airships to make the reverse thrust or even back up!

8. Split S

9. LZ-129 Hindenburg

10. No Aircraft had it's maiden flight on that day, since the 32nd of December does not exist! (Aerosoft was right here!)

I removed the answers in which Aerosoft was definitely correct, but left thos in which were correct or which I think to be questionably.

Wholeheartedly agree with that whole post, expect for numbers 1 and 10.

The TU-95 Bear is faster than the TU-114.

Also, an Aircraft did make a flight on the "32nd December". The Lear Fan 2100 did. it is kind of a trick question but definitely makes sense, the 32nd is another way of saying 1st January.

Hmm so I got 5 right by the officially posted answers, 3 more if the'll take Thunderscreech, Split S and Hindenberg. I think a good argument can be made for all three (especially the Split S) but we'll leave it up to the judges.

Mike

And what about one free download for every answer same as posted by Mathijs to the first post? I think everyone has at least 2 correct answers so everyone could be satisfied! :lol:

Except I couldn't find anything about a dance floor or a smoking room for the Boeing 314 come to think of it I couldn't find anything about a dance floor on the Dornier X either and technically the Hindenberg didn't have a dance floor but it did have a baby grand piano made of aluminium in the lounge.

I'd like to questions some of the answers (not trying to be a spoil-sport here):

1.) As far as I'm aware, the TU-95 Bear is a Four-Engine Turboprop Aircraft, which is faster than the TU-114

2.) Unsure about this, but surely to lower IAS you want less of a Headwind?

3.) Aerosoft got this correct

4.) Correct too

5.) laugh.gif Again correct

6.) I've always known the "Thunderscreech" to be the Loudest Aircraft on Takeoff, not sure about the Valkyrie

7.) Correct

8.) Reverse Immelman and a Split-S must be the same thing, or else there's a problem here

9.) Right. Whilst the Dornier did have a Dining Room, etc. So did The Hindenburg Airship! Does the Hindenburg not qualify as an Aircraft?

10.) Correct

Taking all this into account, I have 6, maybe 7 correct on this Quiz. Good fun, but please Aerosoft, review some of your answers in the first post.

Best Regards,

Pies

yes i said teh thunderscreech as well, i checked and valkeyrie is in 2nd place pretty much. other than that i got 6 right :)

Are you sure? (I was not...) Cause I thought headwind component is determined by track. We are landing so it's the same as runway component... Or... Am I not right? :)

LOL, yeah, I'm sure, because you crab when there is a powerful crosswind. Crabbing basicly makes your "sideway" movement equal to the crosswind, so, even though there is a crosswind, you are still flying perfectly straight. When crabbing, you yaw the aircraft INTO the wind, so, if you increase the crab angle, you will yaw the nose even further into the wind.

LOL, yeah, I'm sure, because you crab when there is a powerful crosswind. Crabbing basicly makes your "sideway" movement equal to the crosswind, so, even though there is a crosswind, you are still flying perfectly straight. When crabbing, you yaw the aircraft INTO the wind, so, if you increase the crab angle, you will yaw the nose even further into the wind.

The point is though, if the Pilot increases Crab Angle, his headwind will increase. Therefore, IAS will increase. The question stated he wanted to lower his IAS.

Yes, I know that but is the headwind component the same thing as runway component or not? Because when you land you have to know how strong the wind is and what is the runway course (track). You don't need to know what's your heading. So the runway component of vector is your speed, crosswind component the wind speed and you get the thrust vector.

The point is though, if the Pilot increases Crab Angle, his headwind will increase. Therefore, IAS will increase. The question stated he wanted to lower his IAS.

No, you're thinking of tailwind, when headwind is increased, airspeed is decreased.

My thoughts on some of the debated answers:

- The reason the TU-114 could be given as the world's fastest turboprop is because it holds the official FAI (Fédération Aéronautique Internationale) speed record for its type. The TU-95 is often referred to as the military cousin of the TU-114.

- Just because the Thunderscreech could be heard at a distance of 25 miles does not mean too much. If you do some simple math (sound reduces by 6db each time you double the distance from the source) you could easily see that the Valkyrie listed at 136 db (assuming this was from a distance of say 0.05 of a mile i.e. 264 feet) would also easily be heard at a distance of 25 miles as well.

- The reverse-Immelmann and the Split-S are the same. Note that Split-S is what the FAI CIVA committee which establishes the rules for worldwide aerobatics competitions uses.

- The Hindenburg is an 'aircraft', though not an 'airplane', and therefore would also technically meet the requirements for the answer of question 9. Though I would agree with one of the other comments in that it is difficult to find a reference to a dance floor for it or the Dornier. In all my searching (not just Wikipedia :-) I was able to find one reference that the Hindenburg had a dance floor, while none to show that the Dornier-X did (but I am still looking).

- While there obviously is no real December 32nd, this is what the British government representatives officially recorded for the maiden flight of the Lear Fan 2100, so the question is valid as stated.

Jeff

Hello Folks,

Just to add to Jeffs, replies.

Many years in development, it was not completed before inventor Bill Lear died in 1978. He begged his wife, Moya Lear, to finish it. It was planned for production to be carried out in Belfast Northern Ireland, in a new factory built with money from the British Government in an effort to boost employment.[1][2] The first prototype made its maiden flight on January 1, 1981,[3] (officially recorded by sympathetic British government officials as "December 32, 1980" in order to secure funding that expired at the end of that year [4]).

Information from Wiki page here.