Question of the day <----------------------

No, you're thinking of tailwind, when headwind is increased, airspeed is decreased.

You're completely wrong there.

I'm thinking of Indicated Airspeed. IAS will increase if a Headwind is present. It is the speed of Air rushing past the Aircraft that makes IAS.

E.G: If you're stationary, and there is a 30knt Headwind in front of you, your Indicated Airspeed will be 30 Knots. I guarentee this is correctlaugh.gif .

You are on about True Airspeed, learn the difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indicated_Airspeed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_airspeed

Shaun did you say that you are returning the results to the senders via email?

Also, what about those alternative answers (eg Hindenburg also had Dining Room etc) will they be accepted?

I am still convinced that the head wind component won't change. <_<

The track is 360 and the wind comes from west so head wind is null.

The heading may be 340° but the head wind is "0 kts".

Am I wrong ? :blush:

• Aerosoft

My thoughts on some of the debated answers:

- The reason the TU-114 could be given as the world's fastest turboprop is because it holds the official FAI (Fédération Aéronautique Internationale) speed record for its type. The TU-95 is often referred to as the military cousin of the TU-114.

- Just because the Thunderscreech could be heard at a distance of 25 miles does not mean too much. If you do some simple math (sound reduces by 6db each time you double the distance from the source) you could easily see that the Valkyrie listed at 136 db (assuming this was from a distance of say 0.05 of a mile i.e. 264 feet) would also easily be heard at a distance of 25 miles as well.

- The reverse-Immelmann and the Split-S are the same. Note that Split-S is what the FAI CIVA committee which establishes the rules for worldwide aerobatics competitions uses.

- The Hindenburg is an 'aircraft', though not an 'airplane', and therefore would also technically meet the requirements for the answer of question 9. Though I would agree with one of the other comments in that it is difficult to find a reference to a dance floor for it or the Dornier. In all my searching (not just Wikipedia :-) I was able to find one reference that the Hindenburg had a dance floor, while none to show that the Dornier-X did (but I am still looking).

- While there obviously is no real December 32nd, this is what the British government representatives officially recorded for the maiden flight of the Lear Fan 2100, so the question is valid as stated.

Jeff

Yeah... you written just about what I was about to write.

About the U-114.... I can find no sources that verify the speed of the TU-95, so while it could be faster, the record got to be one that's verified.

About the loudest aircraft... I'll buy the Shuttle as an aircaft, but only when it glides back, we all agree it's a rocket when it goes up, right?

About the Reverse Immelmann/ Split S... They are indeed the same, I used Reverse Immelmann to make you Google harder.

About the Dance floor... Good call on the airships, let's leave that one open.

About Dec 32st... hahahaha. Was not too hard to Google though.

We'll do a new series next December, if you like to help select the questions contact us on support@aerosoft.com.

Am I wrong ? :blush:

Yes, you are wrong.

As the aircraft is crabbing (nose into the crosswind) in order to stay on it's track,

you have a headwind, just because you turn the nose into the wind.

When you slow down (decrease IAS) you won't go forward as much anymore, in the same period of time,

but the crosswind is still the same,

so in order to stay on the same track, you have to turn more into the wind (increase crab angle)

as the wind now comes over the nose in a sharper angle than before, the component that comes from straight ahead (basic mechanics here)

will be higher.

Therefore, increase/increase is the correct answer.

Yeah... you written just about what I was about to write.

About the U-114.... I can find no sources that verify the speed of the TU-95, so while it could be faster, the record got to be one that's verified.

About the loudest aircraft... I'll buy the Shuttle as an aircaft, but only when it glides back, we all agree it's a rocket when it goes up, right?

About the Reverse Immelmann/ Split S... They are indeed the same, I used Reverse Immelmann to make you Google harder.

About the Dance floor... Good call on the airships, let's leave that one open.

About Dec 32st... hahahaha. Was not too hard to Google though.

We'll do a new series next December, if you like to help select the questions contact us on support@aerosoft.com.

Mathijis, I thank you for confirming some of our woes.

Just to say though, not critising at all, but like the "New Year" Quiz I failed to undertsand the exact exact nature of Q1.

It was unclear, because the TU-95 could well be the fastest, you did not specify the offical speedholder, that's why many put TU95.

Cheers,

Pies

About the Reverse Immelmann/ Split S... They are indeed the same

Does that mean you are accepting the Split-S as well as Reverse Immelmann as a correct answer also? If so I, and others, just got one more point :D

Jeff

Just noticed another incorrect answer posted there Aerosoft!

How can you say the number of Sonic Booms produced is 2? It depends entrely on the Aircraft! Concorde actually had 3 Sonic Booms!

Just noticed another incorrect answer posted there Aerosoft!

How can you say the number of Sonic Booms produced is 2? It depends entrely on the Aircraft! Concorde actually had 3 Sonic Booms!

actually, every supersonic aircraft has A LOT of sonic booms. At each leading edge or tip (including the nose) and each trailing edge or endpoint on the aircraft.

however, because they're all so close together, similar shock waves will join together, making 2 big ones.

That's the theory, I hope I explained it correctly.

Prize Winners.

Hello Folks,

In total there were some 84 entries to this quiz and we would like to thank you for taking part in it.

However no one got 10/10 nor 9/10 not 8/10

But 12 folks got 7/10. Well done to you.

The winners are listed below either using there forum iusernames or the beginning of there e-mail address.

thefrog

BrianW

thh

dieterlinde

thinger

PZL Belfegor

baw192

Tyrion

evignaud

quantumleap

kvanlooy

andres.kaera

As there were no single first second and third individual winners and we will have a job sharing 6 prizes between 12 folks

so we have decided to let each of the first place winners have 2 free download products of there choice each.

I will tell you something though as a matter of interest, only 2 people got the Compass question right, and one gave a very good description.

4: The direction in which a compass needle points is known as magnetic

north. In general, this is not exactly

the direction of the North Magnetic Pole nor "True North" (or of any other

consistent location). Instead, the

compass aligns itself to the local geomagnetic field, which varies in a

complex manner over the Earth's surface,

as well as over time

So well done again to the winners and e-mails will be on there way shortly.

actually, every supersonic aircraft has A LOT of sonic booms. At each leading edge or tip (including the nose) and each trailing edge or endpoint on the aircraft.

however, because they're all so close together, similar shock waves will join together, making 2 big ones.

That's the theory, I hope I explained it correctly.

Sorry, but that's incorrect.

They don't just join together and make "2 Big Ones".

It depends on which surfaces are slowing, e.g: Concorde had three (Wings Nose an Fuselage).

I have consulted somebody about this who knows this sort of thing, he also states that it depends on the Aircraft. Every Single Supersonic Aircraft does not produce just 2 Sonic Booms.

I'm afraid they're wrong here too...

Congratz to all the winners!

and a big thank you to Aerosoft.

@Pies,

You might be right, I had a course in aerodynamics last year, but I can't exactly remember how it was.

might do some research on it, because I really want to know for sure. I thought it was 2, Aerosoft obviously too, and many others...

Congratulations to the Winners, and thanks to Aerosoft for doing things like this for the community. I'm one of the folks that didn't win anything, but I sure enjoyed trying, and appreciate Aerosoft putting up prizes for the quiz as well as the quiz itself. :)

Congratulations again to the winners, and enjoy your prizes. :)

-George

As one of the winners of the competition, and having just installed my prizes, I want to also extend my thanks to Aerosoft for providing us with the entertainment, brain exercise and generous prizes, along with their staff for the time and effort they put into creating the quizzes and checking our answers.

Jeff

• Upvote 1