VC Rain?

mhlarsen

• 2 months later...

Any chance of getting VC rain like seen in PMDG JS41 for Aerosoft aircrafts?

That would be most welcome.

Merry Christmas to all of you

Michael

VC rain has a pretty large impact on frame rates that tends to not be worth it. sort of like virtual cabins. their pretty cool, but eventually you ignore them.

The VC effect is not aircraft related, it's sim related. Its long been known how to fix this by copying across the relevant files from FS9. Google is your friend! However, as Liam relates, it was deliberately removed from FSX for performance issues. Things might be different 3 or 4 years down the line but do back up the originals before experimenting.

As making the change requires modifying default FSX file I can bet fair and square Aerosoft will NOT be making those changes for you. The policy is never to alter default files unless absolutely necessary and the product is not theirs to change. PMDG will no doubt have a similar policy but you can always ask them, as the developer.

But that shouldn't stop you from making changes to your own system, for your own personal use, just that you will not receive support for it from here.

The VC effect is not aircraft related, it's sim related. Its long been known how to fix this by copying across the relevant files from FS9. Google is your friend! However, as Liam relates, it was deliberately removed from FSX for performance issues. Things might be different 3 or 4 years down the line but do back up the originals before experimenting.

As making the change requires modifying default FSX file I can bet fair and square Aerosoft will NOT be making those changes for you. The policy is never to alter default files unless absolutely necessary and the product is not theirs to change. PMDG will no doubt have a similar policy but you can always ask them, as the developer.

But that shouldn't stop you from making changes to your own system, for your own personal use, just that you will not receive support for it from here.

Can you give some more information please Simon? I was honestly under the impression that FSX SP2 did not support VC rain effects with any aircraft modelled with the XtoMDL.exe i.e. the tool in the FSX SDK. Having taken your advice and using Google (searching FSX VC rain), I'm still under that impression.

Cheers for any pointers you can give.

I was under that impression too. From what I understood from Robert Randazzo, when I interviewed him for the AVSIM review I did of the JS41, they did some kind of hack to make it work again, although - of course - he was reluctant to tell what it was.

I tried moving the vcrain over from fs9 a while back while troubleshooting black windscreens during rain in my 737PIC under fsx.

There was a little fps hit, maybe 1 or 2 frames, but I thought it looked rubbish and very dated. I reverted back quite quickly.

You will need fs9 for this.....or I think AVSIM has the files.

I tried moving the vcrain over from fs9 a while back while troubleshooting black windscreens during rain in my 737PIC under fsx.

There was a little fps hit, maybe 1 or 2 frames, but I thought it looked rubbish and very dated. I reverted back quite quickly.

You will need fs9 for this.....or I think AVSIM has the files.

Yes, but did this add the rain effect to FSX models? My understanding is that this is just a fudge that applies to those using FS9 models in FSX. No doubt Simon will put me straight.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, but did this add the rain effect to FSX models? My understanding is that this is just a fudge that applies to those using FS9 models in FSX. No doubt Simon will put me straight.

This was my understanding of this feature as well. Only the 'ported' FSX models from FS9 could be manipulated by copying the necessary FS9 files.

This is obviously doable as there are several developers that have already integrated this feature, as well as visible icing on the windscreen, into their products. It's just a matter of willingness and capability.

It's just a matter of willingness and capability.

Not really, it's actually a matter of inflicting a performance hit....or not.

I think that after the feedback PMDG have had, you'll see even fewer add-ons feature this in the future. I understand they're now looking a no-rain vc option for the next update!

I think that after the feedback PMDG have had, you'll see even fewer add-ons feature this in the future. I understand they're now looking a no-rain vc option for the next update!

I was refering specifically to the Lotus Sim L-39 and the RealAir Duke v1.5. I don't have them (yet) but every review I read says they are both frame rate friendly.

Options? Is that not exactly what we all are looking for in FSX? An option for VC rain would be very nice to have.

Paul,

I have looked through 10 pages on the PMDG Turboprops forum and there are very very few posts (2) complaining about VC rain.

Furthermore all posts are made by the same user :rolleyes:

And, with that users pretty good specs I would look elsewhere for better performance other than removing the VC rain.