Question of the day <----------------------

• Aerosoft

Just because somebody send this to me (Thanks!). Last question of the day, no prices to be won, enough freebies given out today!

Most, if not every aircraft has a remarkable low amount of stability in the roll axis. In most aircraft it's the least stable axis, for many aerodynamic reasons that involve words like long tail slip effect etc (gliders know that one). Why don't aircraft designers fix this, what are they worried about? Surely a more stable aircraft that still corners well would be easier to handle.

Well as far as I know a totally stable aircraft would be very hard to fly. The aircraft would be sluggish to respond to control inputs and the controls would be heavy as the aircraft would have a very strong desire to return to its neutral position.

I'll give a hint that will only help some people. "think about me"

Not a comfortable ride for the passengers maybe? They wouldn't get a nice smooth, rolling turn, it'd be pretty steep.

I believe that one of the reasons is the passengers comfort. But if an airplane would turn very steep and return to the center potition fast wouldn't that cause some G forces??

Who would wants G forces while drinking coffe???

If I am totaly wrong and stupid just ignore this hypothesis...

Thanks

Guest inbrekers1

I know that in millitair aircraft they make the planes unstable so they far more agile. Most planes nowadays can't fly without electronics for keeping them stable.

Rolls too fast, harder to keep the turn angle below 45 degrees, G-Forces and Overstress of the aircraft, since a turn is the most "stressful" maneuver... also, the aircraft might have a larger chance to turn too much and "flip"! tongue.gif And also also, since during a bank, one wing looses lift while the other gains lift, so that would put a lot of pressure and stress on the wing that is gaining lift... just look at how many problems the 787 had with the wings flexing...

Rolls too fast, harder to keep the turn angle below 45 degrees, G-Forces and Overstress of the aircraft, since a turn is the most "stressful" maneuver... also, the aircraft might have a larger chance to turn too much and "flip"! tongue.gifAnd also also, since during a bank, one wing looses lift while the other gains lift, so that would put a lot of pressure and stress on the wing that is gaining lift... just look at how many problems the 787 had with the wings flexing...

More lift does not imly mor stress on the aircraft wings if we do not consider the windspeed component(drag). More lift = the plane moves upwards with the same pitch, or in you're case, turns and roll the aircraft. As what i know the aircraft boddy has the same weight in slow and and higer lift. I can not see that a roll and turn makes higer stresses on one wing. What makes stress on wings is higer or lover G, to make a negativ or Positive G, you have to change the pitch constantly. A roll does not change the pich, but you change a pitch in a turn, and that is why you are being forsed down in a aircraft that is in a turn. As long as you are in a turn, you have positiv "changing" pich. It's the change in pitch that makes stress.

More lift does not imly mor stress on the aircraft wings if we do not consider the windspeed component(drag). More lift = the plane moves upwards with the same pitch, or in you're case, turns and roll the aircraft. As what i know the aircraft boddy has the same weight in slow and and higer lift. I can not see that a roll and turn makes higer stresses on one wing. What makes stress on wings is higer or lover G, to make a negativ or Positive G, you have to change the pitch constantly. A roll does not change the pich, but you change a pitch in a turn, and that is why you are being forsed down in a aircraft that is in a turn. As long as you are in a turn, you have positiv "changing" pich. It's the change in pitch that makes stress.

Yes, very sorry, I don't know what I had been drinking! tongue.gif Thanks for correcting me, my theories were all messed up, and one got mixed in with another!

Thanks again.

But a turn/bank still does put stress on the frame, it's just lift that doesn't do so.

Most and biggest movements during a flight happen on the "roll-axis",

so if you add too much stability an this axis you would need

much bigger deflections of the ailerons with all it´s disadvantages

and drag.

• Aerosoft

Most and biggest movements during a flight happen on the "roll-axis",

so if you add too much stability an this axis you would need

much bigger deflections of the ailerons with all it´s disadvantages

and drag.

Closing the question without a winner. The answer is that increasing the stability on that axis greatly increases the chance to experience "Dutch Roll". Not a highly dangerous thing in it self but it is one of the most uncomfortable things passengers can experience. I myself get sick after just a few moment. And I have some experience with aerobatics without problems!