Question of the day

To eventually remplace a broken tube or admission system (like fuel or oil)?

Or to not have problems with fuel or oil icing in cold places (wood doesn't conduct cold as well as metal or rubber), I mean by remplacing some of tubes?

• Aerosoft

To eventually remplace a broken tube or admission system (like fuel or oil)?

Or to not have problems with fuel or oil icing in cold places (wood doesn't conduct cold as well as metal or rubber), I mean by remplacing some of tubes?

Nope... Let me help a bit, this is the kind of pipe stem we are talking about.

post-43-126106242641_thumb.jpg

In the past it was used as a token of a peace pipe. Especially with the Indians. So when invading hostile terretory, they would not be attacked. An Indian has never broken the peace-pipe compact. That is why!

• Aerosoft

Maybe as some kind of oxygen mask replacement?

Well I assume there was oxygen attached to the pipe stem via a little tube.

Bingo. As early as 1913 pilots used to have lox bottles that feed through a rubber hose towards the pilot. As masks were not good enough and the rubber tube fell out of the mouth of the pilot they attached a pipe stem (designed to be be kept in the mouth) to sip the oxygen.

How the **** did you find out that? I am very impressed.

How the **** did you find out that? I am very impressed.

Thanks alot Mathijs!

Quiet funny how I found that out.

I was watching several episodes of "Third Watch" on Youtube yesterday and then decided to buy the DVD box which arrived here today morning and I immediately watched 8 of 22 episodes. In one of the episodes one of the coolest characters was shot several times and was rushed to the hospital with an oxygen mask on his mouth. And the paramedic allways told him to breath in. I just couldn't get that out of my head today. When reading that question I immediately had that solution in my mind. :lol:

• Aerosoft

I saw this too late to answer but remember my Dad used a pipe stem for oxygen when he flew DC-3's and DC-4's for Northwest Airlines.

Bill Roth

Amazing... and I thought we had a question nobody would know.

Help Help... anybody got a question that will last for more then a few hours?

Mathijs, here is a question and you can use it as a tie-in for your upcoming Huey Helicopter:

Some Huey helicopters were outfitted with un-guided rockets on the pylons during the Vietnam war. What rudimentary method did pilots use to aim them?

[Edit] Ah, I knew this because my father flew Hueys and told me this, but I just found the answer using Google myself! :(

...still, a fun fact and interesting question...

Yes, Shaun will contact you... And I owe you a beer. That was a private bet we had that this question would not be cracked.

:bigdrink_s:

BTW: Is it also possible to choose a product which is not yet released?