Discus Glider reviewed

• Aerosoft

Very positive review on flightsim.com! "I love this collection and have been flying the three new additions for hours. Because of the relative 'slowness' of the aircraft I have noticed the CPU updating all the scenery at an incredible rate, increasing the view from the cockpit, and proving me with silky smooth performance... If you have not tried, seriously tried, a glider, then I urge you buy this package, you really will not be disappointed.... Fantastic. In my view, a must have."

See the product page here.

There are a few things I asked Joachim to comment on because I think something was not right in the review.

Yeah,

there are a few little things in the review that aren't 100% correct.

I'll point them short.

-The reviewer writes, that there are only 3 planes in the list. We say, there are 10. Actually there are 13 different planes. They all differ not only in colors but also in cockpit layout / instrumentation, interior colors winglets, no winglets (of course with unice flight dynamics) and so on.

-The reviewer writes, that the wings don't flex in the air as he expected. -Well, the standard DG808 is BY FAR exaggerated, you wouldn't even see this ammount of wingflex in an open class glider. Hence the Discus looks a bit "underflexed". Well, I fly this plane in reallife, and it has rather stiff wings. I modeled the wingflex, the real glider has. It is noticeable, you can see it quiet well, but it is not exaggerated.

-The reviewer writes, taht the wings don't drop. They should do. I didn't noticed a similar error on any PC, and no complainings in the support forum.

Don't know, what went wrong here.

Although a very nice review.

Best regards, Joachim

Yeah,

there are a few little things in the review that aren't 100% correct.

I'll point them short.

-The reviewer writes, that there are only 3 planes in the list. We say, there are 10. Actually there are 13 different planes. They all differ not only in colors but also in cockpit layout / instrumentation, interior colors winglets, no winglets (of course with unice flight dynamics) and so on.

-The reviewer writes, that the wings don't flex in the air as he expected. -Well, the standard DG808 is BY FAR exaggerated, you wouldn't even see this ammount of wingflex in an open class glider. Hence the Discus looks a bit "underflexed". Well, I fly this plane in reallife, and it has rather stiff wings. I modeled the wingflex, the real glider has. It is noticeable, you can see it quiet well, but it is not exaggerated.

-The reviewer writes, taht the wings don't drop. They should do. I didn't noticed a similar error on any PC, and no complainings in the support forum.

Don't know, what went wrong here.

Although a very nice review.

Best regards, Joachim

The issues (in order) are:

1. Only 3 models viewed instead of the 10+: The reviewer does not have "Show All Variations" checked in the Select Aircraft section!

2. Wingflex - addressed correctly by Joachim - I brought this up during beta testing because the simple truth is that I was only comparing this effect to other aircraft simulating wing flex. Not accurate though!

3. Wings drop - this is due to realisms settings being set too easy in the user's config

I would have liked to have seen more mention of the special flight modeling (as in performing a sideslip for instance) becuase I know a HUGE amount of work went into that etc but again, overall I thought it complimented the visuals and sound set of the model quite nicely.

Have to agree on the majority that has been said by both Joachim and Robert and although a fairly good review, but on reflection a mediocre one. I feel (as a tester) that his insight into the package was not as I would have hoped from a reviewer?! Plus I felt he didn't go into the 3 individual type aircraft deep enough.

ah, I just read the review, and the guy did a great job. He's included a slew of pictures and made a good effort to get to know the product. I don't think anyone flying the Discus will ever be able to tell just how extreme was the number of development hours we poured into the project but hopefully pilots will appreciate the depth of the simulation as they gradually dig deeper. I wanted to resist picking up on details that I thought were important that he missed - I have to accept readers don't want to hear about some apparently simple movement of a variometer needle as you switch the pressure source from one feed to another. Pleased he liked the yawstring though..

B21

• Upvote 1