Meigs Field is back! - US Cities X - Chicago

Meigs was destroyed, really? Can't Imagine this - it was my first Airport since FS4 :(

Information on Meigs Field history from beginning until now in this link, scroll down to Midnight Demolition.

Click

... but for accuracy, will there be an option to display Meigs field as it is now ...

Hmm... no problem but this would mean adding a separate aerial image to the product, which would increase the download volume by about 80MB for a patch of green land. Just check it in Google Earth and you will see what I mean.

Bests,

Sascha

Hmm... no problem but this would mean adding a separate aerial image to the product, which would increase the download volume by about 80MB for a patch of green land. Just check it in Google Earth and you will see what I mean.

Bests,

Sascha

It would be a nice option, but I'm not too bothered, if I had to choose one option it would be the old Meigs Field as it was ... what do other guys think?

Option of both, or one or the other?

I like the idea of having Meigs there.

They landed a 727 there once when I was living there....

Great video! Thank you for posting it.

I can't wait to get Chicago in my FSX. I also hope that it will be compatible with FSDT's KORD. If it was by most anyone else, I wouldn't mind giving it up, but FSDT makes killer hot airports.

Having Meig's will be really cool too. That is also where I flew the default Cessna through countless touch and goes with FS2000.

I'm really looking forward to this release.

Meigs! I adore you. My mind is flooded from memories of the good ol' days of FS.

I have been flying FS since FS 3.1, and Meigs is dear to my heart. Great to have her back. I also grew up near Chicago, and my dad worked on the lakefront. We used to go up on top of the building where he worked and watch planes. Great stuff! Sad, so sad. I cant stand Daily. A few months ago I went back and stood where the old runway was. It made tears come to my eyes. Ah the memories. Cant wait to be back.

Sorry for my rants, but I have spent more time here than anywhere else in FS. It will always be special.

Thanks guys for bringing her back!

JGplanes

Bests,

Sascha

Having the option of both would keep the purists happy, but I'll only ever see it with the old Megis there.

Here are some classic screenies of Meigs, brings back memories.

25i9r3k.jpg

The hobby's come a long way, 15 FPS on that shot ... This shot was with an emulator but Flight Simulator always was demanding upon each release :)

Fond memory's indeed.

Can't say 2D panels of FSX look better than those old ones..

I never use 2D panels in FSX though, for me .. FSX was the first one in the series that made 2D panels redundant.

Well, maybe the GPS on a second screen.

I digress :)

This is welcome scenery.

Anyway that you could throw in custom runway textures on either Meigs or Midway?

No, sorry. Keep in mind this is a budget product covering a rather large area in high detail. The airports are just a bonus to that and with the custom 3D objects added (not in the screenshots yet) Meigs is still a lot more detailed than the average airport in the US Cities series. On other words: What you get here is a complete city scenery + airports + heliports for a price that usually covers one single airport.

Anyway I think that the default runway textures fit quite nice to Meigs Field (unlike with most other airports) - but opinions may be different about that.

Bests,

Sascha

Will this be compatible with megascenery earth Chicago city pack? I want to use the ground textures and night

eff

ects of that with the buildings and autogen of this.

Best regards,

Robert

When did Megascenery Earth start including night textures? blink.gif

Yes, they do. Just checked compatibility with Mega Scenery and added this to the manual:

Mega Scenery Earth (Lake Michigan Areas 001 and 002)

Both sceneries merge quite well together if you do the following:

1. Ensure that “US Cities X – Chicago” has a higher priority (=lower number) in your scenery library (FSX->settings->scenery library)

2. Go to

[Folder where you installed MegaScenery Earth]\LakeMichigan-001\Scenery\

and deactivate the file called obj003100210300.bgl by renaming its extension from BGL to OFF for example.

The guys from Mega Scenery Earth moved some default buildings to their original position in their aerial image, which is actually a good thing but results in some buildings being displayed twice together with “US Cities X – Chicago”

3. Do the same for obj003100210120.bgl and obj003100210122.bgl in your

Mega Scenery\LakeMichigan-002\Scenery\ folder.

Optional: In case you want to keep Mega Scenery Earth’s night textures you can set Mega Scenery Earth to a higher priority in your scenery library but this will cost you the high density autogen that comes with “US Cities – Chicago”.

Didn't get an answer from the FSDT KORD the developers yet but some betatesters already have it so we will make sure it is compatible.

Beta test starting today. Here are a few new screenies. Provided that there are no serious problems appearing during beta testing release will be in about 2 weeks.

Bests,

Sascha

post-233-125976286197_thumb.jpg

post-233-125976286982_thumb.jpg

post-233-125976287637_thumb.jpg

Would it be possible to get rid of all megascenery earth autogen and replace it with the us cities autogen? Or is their a way to delete all of the ground textures for your scenery so I could use the higher resolution ground textures for megascenery earth but still have your autogen? For example, could I create an exclusion for megascenery earth, then delete the ground textures in this product? Could you please post some pics of it with megascenery earth (night and day) so I can see how well they match up.?

Best Regards,

Robert

Hi Robert,

Sorry, can't take any additional screens at the moment, have to focus on developing. At the first option mentioned above you will have the US Cities autogen and the US Cities aerial image (which has the same resolution as Mega scenery in the large coverage area and much higher resolution around the airports and downtown) merged into the surrounding Mega scenery landscape. The borders of the aerial images follow streets or similar "natural" lines in the landscape so that you barely see them.

Bests,

Sascha