Meigs Field is back! - US Cities X - Chicago

• Aerosoft

This city will be full of superlatives. Not only that this is the largest city in the US Cities series so far, we have also included a retro style scenery of Meigs Field. Being the default startup airport in all FS versions from 1982 to 2002, most of you will know the sad story of this airport that has been demolished at midnight, March 30-31, 2003 by buldozers send in by Chicago's mayor (more info here: http://friendsofmeigs.org/).

Anyway: With this scenery you can finally return to good old Meigs Field and enjoy many other extras included in this massive piece of scenery!

Features:

• More than 200 sq miles of aerial image coverage (largest coverage in the US Cities series so far)
  • More than 2,500 (!) major buildings included
  • Innumerable autogen buildings placed realistically
  • Retro style version of Meigs Field!
  • Improved versions of 6 other airports in and around the city (no new strcutures added)
  • Chicago O'Hare (including new layout with extended runway and new north runway!)
  • Chicago Executive (formerly known as Palwaukee)
  • Chicago Midway
  • Schaumburg Regional
  • Brookeridge Private Airpark (with domestic homes connected to the runway)
  • 9 heliports in good detail
  • Traffic on most major roads
  • Low price, very good value for money
  • Includes a separate Scenery Density tool

US Cities X is a series of city scenery for FSX that covers US cities created by LimeSim. Based on an extensive aerial image it will have all the major buildings and landmarks plus all the heliports that are inside the covered areas. It is clearly intended to fill the gap between the default scenery and very high dense city scenery such as Manhattan X, London VFR or Venice X. Because the file size is rather large due to the ground image it only includes one season (in most cases this is not a real issue) and no night textures. The VFR flights over these cities is mostly a day time affair anyway.

Please note that these preview screenshots don't show the final version of the product!

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

Will this be compatible to FSDT KORD? Because I would like Chicago as VFR Scenery, but I also have FSDT O'Hare in use with AES.

Good question. Shouldn't be a problem though. We will try to get a copy of that scenery to make ours compatible.

Just keep in mind that with both sceneries maxed out and active at the same time you will need a high end machine. I'll do something that you can choose to deactivate frame eating smaller buildings within the city scenery while using FSDT's scenery at full detail for IFR flights with most skyline objects in the background.

Bests,

Sascha

What a wonderful idea bringing back Meigs Field! Normally, having no actual emotional connection to the city of Chicago, I would have had no real reason to purchase this (wonderful looking) scenery, but whoever had the idea of including Meigs won me over in an instant! Looking very much forward to the release! :D

Impressive! :D

Haven't done much flying in or around the Chicago area once Meigs closed, may make a return with this one :)

Just a quick question with regards the lack of night textures, will the ground become a 'black field' or will default fs night textures fill in?

Hello Mathijs How are you doing I hope all is well. Is there any chance That this Scenery could Include the New Skyscraper they are building in Chicago that will be the Tallest Building.

Didn't even know about that one, thanks.

Currently it looks like the "Spire" is not gonna be completed so soon but the previews I saw this morning looked so nice that I spend the morning to add it to the scenery. Hope you like what you see attached.

Of course this comes in a separate file and can be deavtivated if someone prefers the skyline without a future building.

Bests,

Sascha

post-233-125916372233_thumb.jpg

post-233-125916373271_thumb.jpg

Just a quick question with regards the lack of night textures, will the ground become a 'black field' or will default fs night textures fill in?

The default FS textures will take over. At least that is what happened when I checked yesterday.

Bests,

Sascha

This is a must for "old simmers". I really hated Mayor Richard Daley for what he did back in March 2003. He did not paint X on the runway. He ordered a private crew to digg up the runway during the night, making some big "X" on the runway. The planes that where left on the field had to use the taxiway to get off the ruined airport.

I'd love to see the city of Dubai designed with this quality

I'd love to see the city of Dubai designed with this quality and Dubai International Airport OMDB in German Airports or SimWings quality, too! wub.gifwink.gif

Regards

Chris

I'd love to see the city of Dubai designed with this quality and Dubai International Airport OMDB in German Airports or SimWings quality, too! :wub:wink.gif

Regards

Chris

oh yeah <dreams away> :wub:

I lived in Chi town for a few years (racing horses in the early 90's). Palwaukee airport was a cool place right in the middle of the streets of Wheeling (a la Midway, only smaller planes). Planes coming in right over your head as you drive on Palatine road.

This is good news :)

I loved flying from Meigs since FS2, in fact from FS2 to FS4 I spent most of my time just flying in this area and hardly anywhere else.

Will be nice to relive fond memory's in high detail this time ... but for accuracy, will there be an option to display Meigs field as it is now ... I guess its now totally destroyed and not just the x's dug into the runway?

Also would like to chime in with asking for Dubai scenery too, I asked for this before and one reason given was the city is ever evolving, this is true of all city's (just not as fast as Dubai) but I'd not mind it in FSX as is ... it might even give opportunity for future add-ons to the scenery as the city gets further developed.

EDIT: Looks like Dubai has reached peak development now, so an FSX version could be possible ... I hope.

Dubai bubble has burst