Take-off from where?...

petermcleland

• Deputy Sheriffs

One of my favorite German airports... That train station is a dead giveaway. wink.gif

So is the stub of the old east runway.

Nice work Peter as always. One question, that shot of you in the Trident. Is that a moving map infront of the thrust levers??

Yes that paper moving map is driven by doppler...It was OK but not too precise...The First Officer put it right occasionally as a fix was passed and at that moment it was spot on...but it then would drift a bit until it was next corrected. You had a roll of paper map issued with the nav stuff and briefing sheets for each flight out from base (Heathrow in my case) and the First Officer always looked after it...I was never a First Officer on Tridents so I got a bit hazy about Doppler. However, I WAS a First Officer on the Super 111 and that had a Harco moving map display and that was really excellent...it was controlled by a Decca signal from ground stations and I loved it. We always tuned the VORs and NDBs along the route as backup and these displayed just how accurate the map was...When the Autopilot was locked to Harco and the aircraft approached a sharp turn at a waypoint, it would start the turn exactly early enough to roll out precisely on the new track...Wonderful!