Need some help

Hello all. I recently got the Discus glider; pretty cool. Is anyone using the Discus and Active Sky Advanced or similar, along with cumulus X and sim probe? I have been utilizing http://www.xcskies.com/ to try to find real world weather conducive to soaring. My results have not been good. I have had an extremely hard time finding good conditions for soaring. Everywhere I try seems to have nearly no ridge lift (because of slow wind) and very minimal thermals. Could someone give me a hand?

Thanks

Nick Mathews

At this time of year you're talking more about ridge soaring in the Northern hemisphere rather than thermals. For the fantastic ridges of the North-Eastern USA you could check the weather e.g. for the wind summary at the bottom of the page on this link:

http://forecast.weat....x=137&map.y=93

You need NW winds (anywhere WNW to NNW) to fly the Appalacian ridges. As I type (Thursday) the winds look possible tomorrow but after that it'll be quite a while before they're good again. If you're going to use real-world weather I think you have to do what real soaring pilots do and keep an eye on the forecast. Mifflin (KRVL) is a good airfield to fly from, or Blairsown (1N7). Also there's Eagle Ridge Gliderport.

Good luck...

B21

** edit p.s. you can junk sim_probe, and replace it with sim_logger....

• 3 weeks later...

Just for training, you could set the weather yourself.

To get a feeling of ridgelift and so on.

Just set the time and date to summer 1pm local time, and the weather to fair weather, with a reasonable cloud base (3000ft and more). This will ensure good thermals.

Then set the wind 16knots and directly to a slope. Note that the wind layer must be high enough for the slope.

Now start the flight

If you've installed cumulusx! 1.5 you should have nice thermals and ridge lift.

Now fly to this slope, you will feel the lift immediately.

This gives you a feeling how to use it.

Once you're familiar with cumulusx! and ridge lift and thermals you can do what Ian says. Real world weather, and wait for good conditions, or try in bad ones.

It is really interesting to fly in bad conditions, just to see how far you can get.

For me it is far more challenging in the simulator, than flying around with strong thermals.

Bests Joachim