Bouncing

Delta558

I've installed CumulusX as per the instructions, and it loads up automatically when FSX starts. When at altitude (2000ft+) my problem is not noticeable. However, below that height and particularly when on the ground, the aircraft bounce. This happens to all aircraft I have installed (not just the Discus), and I have narrowed it down to CumulusX as the problem is solved instantly by closing the program. I have also tried the usual fixes for bouncing aircraft (lowering terrain mesh resolution, lowering everything terrain related) and still the problem occurs. Just wondering if anybody else is experiencing this, or if anybody has successfully fixed it?

Running FSX Acceleration on a good computer! (generally 20-30 fps with all the sliders to the right or as near as dammit)

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Hi,

I'm afraid that at this time I can only advise to disable lift in Cx! until airborne. It is a known issue that in some rare cases this effect occurs. It is not clear why a few installations are affected but the vast majority is not. A certain unevenness of the vertical movement with CumulusX! active is by design and currently unavoidable. However, this should not happen while on ground. The effect get's worse if there are other programs interrupting CumulusX! from controlling the lift of the aircraft.

You may check your installation regarding unnecessary background tasks and try to terminate them and try again.

best regards,

Peter

Well it did this on my laptop installation today. It started with bouncing after about a minute from start while i was doing checks and things. But it then started going forward along the ground at some speed. This is an aircraft with VET launch installed, although the "thrust" was indicating zero.

Not having much luck with CumulusX 1.5!

Peter

I get why the aircraft could move vertically due to the Cx incremental adjustments, but not forwards...

Peter does Cx adjust any a/c parameter other than in the world vertical??

This is an aircraft with VET launch installed, although the "thrust" was indicating zero.

I don't know how VET works in FSX, but in FS2004, when the VET-engine is active, even in idle VET produces some thrust and make the glider move forward (and up when the glider is in the air).

Bert

VET does sometimes maintain idle thrust rather than zero thrust, but I checked the VET test window and it showed zero thrust. I was playing around with CuX again last night and it didn't happen. Mind you I cleared all weather from FS, checked Unblue, saw lots of clouds but got no lift. Debug was showing lift of 0.16 at one stage, wich doesn't seem a lot. (July 14:00) But that is a different issue.

Peter

Question:

What OS are you running?

I have this (or a similar problem) on win7 where it was ok on XP.

(in the air the plane gets less big adjustments of the altitude than many small ones, do you notice this, too?)

Cheers Joachim

• 1 month later...

Another user here with a similar problem. I've just upgraded to Win 7 64-bit, and have the 'bouncing' but only in the air. I've not noticed anything unusual on the ground. It happened with version 1.5 following my reinstall of FSX & all my add-ons, and also with the new 1.6.

Immediately after take off, when climbing out over the airfield, I find that my aircraft is seemingly teleporting upwards by several feet, every few seconds. It's very noticeable when looking out of the window, as the ground slightly, but very suddenly, drops away from the aircraft. The VSI doesn't show really show it, nor the altimeter. It's almost like the aircraft has hiccups! I've not noticed it at altitude - possibly because the ground is further away. Also, when flying level down low, I don't recall seeing it either. Only on initial climb out. I can't say about landing, as I've always disabled it by that point!

I used version 1.5 on my old XP installation for some time and never noticed this effect at all. It disappears as soon as I close Cx! so it's definitely the culprit! Furthermore, I only use the ridge lift option. The auto thermals & associated clouds are disabled. When running the debug window, the top part appears normally (calculation of ridge lift), but every 10 second or so the whole bottom section (with sun elevation etc.) disappears in place of line saying 'error' (not sure of exact text), before returning to normal after a fraction of a second. Whether this repeating error is related to the 'bouncing', I don't know.

For now I'm not using Cx!, which is a shame as I liked the random variation it added to the VSI, along with the ridge lift when I'm flying around valleys on a windy day.

I'm happy to make some tests if they might help find the source of the problem. Regardless of that, many thanks to Peter for making such a useful program!

Martyn

I was having trouble with the installation process myself, it was only installing the exe in the main CumulusX! folder and it was giving me a lot of problems "teleporting" me all over. I believe what I did finally was RightClick the Install file and select Run as administrator, or maybe I just installed it manually, I don't recall off the top of my head.

Open up your Microsoft Flight Simulator X-->Modules-->CumulusX! folder to see if there is more files there than just the CumulusX.exe. Also, I actually started from scratch on on installation and renamed the folders in question to: example=CumulusX! (old). So I got a new installation of CumulusX!.

Scott

Setting it to "Run as administrator" hasn't helped with the bouncing - I've just tried it. It was a fresh install too. I'm pretty confident the installation is correct - it's identical to the old one in my old FSX folder.

The effect is incredibly noticeable when making an extreme climb or dive. I was just testing it with the rather slow Catalina. Nosing over to point straight at the runway, in an incredibly steep dive, I find that my progress is literally halted many times by Cx!, and the aircraft just hangs in the air for a moment, before dropping another few feet and stopping again - this might repeat a dozen times in a few seconds, then it'll descend like a rock (as it should) for a few seconds, and then it 'freezes' again. It's a bit like watching a ball roll down some stairs.

I can try and post a video, if it would be of help. It's very weird! As soon as I disable Cx! all is back to normal. The calculation of the ridge lift in the debug window shows zero or +/-0.01 and doesn't really change, so doesn't appear to be related. It's some other aspect of the program.

Hi Mustang,

this is currently a known problem of Win7, maybe the 64-version only, as I have not yet heard onwers of 32bit-versions who complain. There is a paragraph in the "Known problems" section of the manual. It ha to do how the task scheduler schedules CPU power to the add-ons. You may improve it a bit by raising the process priority to "High" with windows task manager. Nevertheless, the result is not optimal.

I'm working on a fix for it, but the effort is substantial, and it depends a bit on wether this can be a licensed solution for a small fee.

Sorry so far, but as a matter of fact Win7 is not friendly to add-on developers, at least the 64 bit version.

best regards,

Peter

Hey mustang - you might be able to help resolve or reduce the issue - we suspect it is related to the relative priority of simconnect 'exe' addons versus FSX itself under Win 7 / 64, such that simconnect events/messages going to CumulusX are getting queued up and then released after a delay. I know Peter is looking hard at this issue and a re-write of the core message/event handling code of CumulusX as a DLL is a known fix but a lot of work. It's possible some Win 7 settings could improve the situation if you want to experiment.

B21

Hi both. Thanks very much for the replies.

I understand more about it now. I imagine it is quite a headache, Peter! I wish you a lot of luck with it. Of course, I don't demand or even necessarily expect a fix. I appreciate that such programs are available for free. Having read the thread, I just wanted to give my own experiences and information in case it might help uncover the reasons behind the issue. There are probably other threads on the issue but I didn't read much of the forum.

I'll experiment a little with some settings in Win7 64bit and see if I can make any small progress.

Martyn

Keep up the good fight, Mustang, and keep in touch with any developements on your side. But hopefully Peter can come up with a solution soon for you and your situation.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

As a small tip.

Shut down all programs in background. If I run FSx with the heavy graphical developement tools in background I notive this, too. If not, the effect is very small and almost not noticeable.

Bests Joachim