A new simulator

Hi all,

There's a lot of info on this site and I can't say that I have read all of it. Search function gave me no result on '3D' though. So I'll put it up here.

How about during development you keep 3D effects in mind. I am a complete programming n00b, so I don't know if it takes special consideration during programming, but if it does, I think it would be a fairly bad choice to ommit it (and that is putting it lightly). 3D TVs are up and coming and the first 3D monitors have been spot as well. Surely by 2012 they will be more widespread. Taking into account product delay and product life, I think it will be fairly safe to say that during the final years of the sim's life 3D isn't really an option anymore, it will be mandatory. Unless of course frequent product updates are planned and this is something that is easily added... ..I have a feeling though that it will be cheaper to implement it from the get-go.

Just my two cents though..

Cheers,

Tim.

• Upvote 3

I hope that if the new Sim goes forward, that some real thought is given to the best possible compression technologies, as the current file sizes for large swaths of scenery is reaching the point of extremes of hd storage space, especially in a time when the majority of purchases may soon be digital downloads.

Would it not make more sense to forgo the whole downloading process. There's plenty of talk about games which are run on servers, so all customers need is a decent internet connection. This eliminates the problem of having the proper hardware, as all hardware is run by the vendor, therefore the game experience will be similar for all customers and they won't have to spend hundreds of dollars on updating their computer. Instead they spend those dollars on the company by means of a subscription for the 'gaming service'.

This would however change the whole add-on business, so somehow there would have to be a solution for that. Innovation would be the key word here. I think you could actually increase that market if it's done properly.

Cheers,

Tim.

• Upvote 1

Hey Matjis and Co. I'm new in this forum and first of all I wanted to mention what a great job you all are doing. smile.gif The next think I wanted to ask or suggest is, how would it be about compatility of the addons you can buy now for FSX and FS9? Because you have to think about the fact, that people invested hundrets of euros and dollars into their Flight Simulators (me including) and it would be said if they had to invest all the money again into new addons. blink.gif

Hi Matjis and Co. I'm also new to this forum and I agree fully with MC Homer. I would rather pay mega bucks and have most of what we are all after up front rather than having to buy addon after addon. rolleyes.gif Of course I fully realise that you can't implement all the requests but hope that your original will have more to offer than FSX. Keep up the good work guys and I can't wait for the release ! cool.gif

Kind Regards,

Spud

• Upvote 2

Howdy,

I was wondering when the next set of news was gonna come out about Aerosofts Sim.

About having "Apple Store" like method would be awesome.

I`m also still wondering what`s is going with the project... is it dead already? I hope it`s not...

brds

Martin

• Upvote 1

Last status update from Mathijs was 3 months ago. Hope this does not mean it has gone into a long holding pattern!

I guess that the idea of a new flight simulator from Aerosoft is slowly dying. I Aerosoft should deliver during 2012 the project should be up and running by now. If Aerosoft still aims to deliver a flight sim during 2012, I'm afraid that sim will be very limited regarding functionality compared to FSX. It's all about time and money.

I hope that I'm wrong and that Mathijs will give us information on the progress.

I guess that the idea of a new flight simulator from Aerosoft is slowly dying. I Aerosoft should deliver during 2012 the project should be up and running by now. If Aerosoft still aims to deliver a flight sim during 2012, I'm afraid that sim will be very limited regarding functionality compared to FSX. It's all about time and money.

I hope that I'm wrong and that Mathijs will give us information on the progress.

I remember Mathijs saying in another part of the forum that they're waiting on some decision from a third party.

• Upvote 1

Give the guys a break, maybe they are just trying to find a way to let the community down slowly after all the hype that was created.

Cheers,

Or perhaps they are too busy working on the new sim to post here ;) I sure would like to know what is happening....

I hope that if the new Sim goes forward, that some real thought is given to the best possible compression technologies

That 'technology' is already there - it's called low resolution. It's a simple mathematical fact that you can't have high quality, high resolution images and small file sizes at the same time. If people want 7 cm photo scenery, they have to accept the file size burden.

how would it be about compatility of the addons you can buy now for FSX and FS9?

Asked and answered a gazillion times: existing add-ons won't be compatible on a distribution format level.

How about during development you keep 3D effects in mind.

Most every video game out there is inherently 3D, and has been for quite a number of years. After all, we're flying in a three-dimensional world, aren't we? What you're talking about (I think) is support for stereoscopic displays or glasses. But that's a matter of the video driver, not the game. With the right drivers, most every computer game is inherently capable of displaying stereoscopic images, without any additional effort on the developer's part - albeit at half the normal frame rate. Even the venerable FS98 could do that.

There's plenty of talk about games which are run on servers

Well, if even (pre-rendered) streaming video isn't really working that well at high frame rates, I wouldn't bet my money on similar technology for (real-time) interactive games that depend on very tight timing tolerances between controller input and reaction on screen.

Judith

• Upvote 1

That 'technology' is already there - it's called low resolution. It's a simple mathematical fact that you can't have high quality, high resolution images and small file sizes at the same time. If people want 7 cm photo scenery, they have to accept the file size burden.

http://djvu.org/resources/whatisdjvu.php This is not pointing to the answer just saying that there are possibilities that can be looked at if one desires. I am always reluctant to accept the flat impossibility of almost anything in a world in which technology is moving so quickly.

Sorry to say, but I think this simulator migt not be a reality, and that is a shame.

If they want this simulator, they must start spending monney on it. At this moment they are just talking about how the sim might be.

The time is goeing... fast. One week, one mont, one year, one decade.

3 months with out update is the same as the progress is on halt, it's hanging in a thin tread.

But I hope I am Wrong.

I think, we can stop now these suggestions.

If they are really working on a new sim, then I think, we will have maybe to wait for a demo or pics.

And then, we/you can post suggestions.

(Remeber this is the November/December issue :o Hoping, that one more will appear soon)

Best regards

Chris

• Upvote 1

I am hoping that "behind the scenes" things are progressing. A link was posted before that Aerosoft is waiting for a third party to make up their minds(?) about being part of this new flight sim... I guess there won't be news until this is decided. I assume this is for the flight sim engine.

The only things that worries me is:

a. What is taking so long for this third party to decide? I would think, in this economy, a company would welcome the news to sell its product.

b. I know Aerosoft is looking to release this flight sim in 2012 (I would assume very early in 2012, if not late 2011...otherwise who would want to buy a product know as 2012 in 2013...it would seem "dated". But then again, it's coming up to 3 months into 2011 already, and I know to create a sim (like MSFS) is going to take more than 1 year. Heck, the other flight sim has been around for years and years, and IMHO, doesn't come close to MSFS (ie lack of ATC, AI, airport buildings, etc).

3. I agree, to be asking for our opinions about ideas to be included in this FS, yet, Aerosoft doesn't even have a graphic engine(?) lined up yet...Seems to be too early to think about these features at this time.

This is my own thinking,but I would hope they mightalso look at X-plane, since the foundation of a flight sim is already there...

But in the end, I am hoping for a new, modern flight sim that will be able to utilize the advancement in today's graphic card. S I wish "good luck" to Aerosoft!!! :-)

b. I know Aerosoft is looking to release this flight sim in 2012 (I would assume very early in 2012, if not late 2011...otherwise who would want to buy a product know as 2012 in 2013...it would seem "dated". But then again, it's coming up to 3 months into 2011 already, and I know to create a sim (like MSFS) is going to take more than 1 year. Heck, the other flight sim has been around for years and years, and IMHO, doesn't come close to MSFS (ie lack of ATC, AI, airport buildings, etc).

You might wanna shift into reverse in your time machine. It's 2010.

I have full confidence in Aerosoft to announce there intentions either way.

Why not give them a little slack.

• Upvote 2

You might wanna shift into reverse in your time machine. It's 2010.

Why not give them a little slack.

Oops, typo. My bad. I meant to type: it's almost 3 months into "2010".

Maybe I was not clear (clearly I wasn't, due to my typos and bad grammar from typing to fast and not proofreading my post very well).

I didn't mean to come off as being harsh towards Aerosoft. I have great hope for them to produce a great product. I even have some of the products they sell, so I know they can produce and offer great products. Plus, I will give them all the slack they need. I don't think I was being harsh, just stated some of my concerns.

Again, I am hoping they will produce a great new, modern flight sim. And i am sure they will; if they do.

That being said, I have no clue about what goes into developing a PC game, but it seems to me it takes a great deal of work, time and effort. For an example, I know it takes a third-party add-on developer over a year (if not more) to produce a high quality airplane for MSFS, so again, my concern is how long will it take to produce this FS, not only planes, but weather, ai, terrain, ATC(?), landmarks that we see in real life, and all the other goodies we (I) hope to expect for a new FS. I am calculating a time frame into 2012 (again, 1.5 years to develop it, including beta testing, etc). So we are looking at March 2010 plus 1.5 years = Sept 2011. Like I said, late 2011/ early 2012.

Sorry for the long post. But we haven't gotten a lot of info yet, not that we deserve info before the product is out, but if they Aerosoft has been asking for our ideas about what we want/don't want, etc, I just wish we could have a bit more info. Not because I am (we are) ungrateful or impatient, but because I am (we are) excited about this product.

I will start looking at other threads and other sections on this site to get more info, since it was great to see the link pointing to the statement about talks with the other compnay. If that link wasn't posted in this thread, I would not have known about it.

Again, good luck to Aerosoft!!! If they win, we flight simmers will win too!

• Upvote 2

For an example, I know it takes a third-party add-on developer over a year (if not more) to produce a high quality airplane for MSFS, so again, my concern is how long will it take to produce this FS, not only planes, but weather, ai, terrain, ATC(?), landmarks that we see in real life, and all the other goodies we (I) hope to expect for a new FS. I am calculating a time frame into 2012 (again, 1.5 years to develop it, including beta testing, etc). So we are looking at March 2010 plus 1.5 years = Sept 2011. Like I said, late 2011/ early 2012.

1 person= 1 year

40 people=>1 week

So, I think, more than one person is developing this simulator. Maybe between 20 and 60 (I hope so).

I think, this will take years.

I will standby until some of the admins will answer here.

• Upvote 2

1 person= 1 year

40 people=>1 week

So, I think, more than one person is developing this simulator. Maybe between 20 and 60 (I hope so).

I think, this will take years.

I will standby until some of the admins will answer here.

Wow if it was really that simple. 2 400 people => 1 minute! 144 000 people => 1 sec!

:hahaha_s:

• Upvote 2

I was too a little, say concerned that Mathijs is so absent here. But yesterday I stumbled across his posting here http://www.forum.aer...ndpost&p=207956 where he says 'The AFS2010 project keeps popping up.' So, obviously this is not dead. Which is great news.

Phil

• Upvote 1

Wow if it was really that simple. 2 400 people => 1 minute! 144 000 people => 1 sec!

:hahaha_s:

Though there are some things that kind of work that way. Folding, for instance. (in theory)

• Upvote 1