A new simulator

First of all, happy new year everyone!

[_] I am happy to let you guys set my machine for optimum performance :lol:

[_] I am a complete Idiot and want to waste my life fiddling with settings :rolleyes:

I do like that one... ;)

I also opened and closed FS9 about 10,000 times :mad:

How about a developer mode, in which the sim constantly monitors a separate folder tree that duplicates the structure of the 'real' tree, and automatically reloads anything that changes in there? Say you have AFS2012/Aircraft, AFS2012/Scenery, etc., for normal operations, and then there is AFS2012/Dev/Aircraft, AFS2012/Dev/Scenery, etc. In normal mode, the Dev tree is completely ignored, but in developer mode, the (static) main tree is overlaid by the (dynamically reloaded) Dev tree. Moreover, a big fat red warning box will be shown in dev mode whenever there's the slightest problem with any asset in the Dev tree, while in normal mode broken assets are just ignored (maybe with a log message printed into some file on load).

7. I know this one is the hardest one: more updates! Like every week, lol. Even if it's just to say, "no new progress yet" :-)

Well, one of the reason commercial add-on developers stay away from X-Plane seems to be too many updates bringing breaking changes more often than not.

One thing I'd like to see in AFS2012 is a built-in airport editor.

I think a dedicated editor would be much better than trying to stuff everything into the poor little sim. The editor can, of course, use the sim's graphics engine and scenery data to provide a real time 3D preview. But a good, powerful editor should work more like a CAD program than a game. And by CAD, I don't mean hard to use, either. Of course, a dedicated, CAD-style editor can be made to launch from within the sim, with the same view position and everything, with one key press. Heck, the sim itself could morph into said editor even.

Judith

• Upvote 1

I think a dedicated editor would be much better than trying to stuff everything into the poor little sim. The editor can, of course, use the sim's graphics engine and scenery data to provide a real time 3D preview. But a good, powerful editor should work more like a CAD program than a game. And by CAD, I don't mean hard to use, either. Of course, a dedicated, CAD-style editor can be made to launch from within the sim, with the same view position and everything, with one key press. Heck, the sim itself could morph into said editor even.

That's really more what I meant, I guess. By "built-in" I just meant "included on the AFS2012 disk." That was a bad way of wording that on my part.:)

Hi All,

I've been following this thread with great interest. I usually fly Flight Sim 2004 but a couple of years ago, graduated to FSX. I found FSX very difficult and don't often venture there anymore. I'm not saying that it's not great, but with all the patches and add-ons, I still find it not as good as FS2004.

I can't wait for the new Flight Sim to come out and I hope all the members wishes come true with this one. biggrin.gif I think I'll be the first in line to buy a copy regardless of cost !

Mathijs, you've got a big task ahead of you and you'll never please everyone but it's a credit to you as to what you've done for us flight sim fanatics so far. wink.gif

While I'm waiting, have any of you peeps checked out this flight sim and used it ? http://flightprosim.com/#order If so, please pm me feedback so I don't clog up this thread. It would be much appreciated ! cool.gif

Keep up the good work !

Cheers,

Spud

If you guys do have a Scenery Editor the post below from FS Developer is still required

Originally Posted by MarkkuS View Post

Suggestion:

A function which can move an object in a certain direction and amount.

Example: Move object XXX 1.6 meters in direction 125 degrees.

Good suggestion, I'll put it on the list of ideas .

Move everything in an Add On Scenery in a certain direction and amount.

Tassie Tiger

While I'm waiting, have any of you peeps checked out this flight sim and used it ? http://flightprosim.com/#order

Re: FlightGear = Flight Pro Sim???

Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 5:04pm Quote:

The Truth Behind Flight Pro Sim (26 October 2009) When we here at FlightSim.Com first heard about Flight Pro Sim (flightprosim.com) we were excited to think there was a new sim available. However, some research determined that this is nothing more than a boxed version of the well known and long available Flight Gear open source simulator. While there's nothing illegal about any of this, if you want Flight Gear you can download it for free from the Flight Gear web site (www.flightgear.org).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk

Well that solves the <$100 FlightSim

Re: FlightGear = Flight Pro Sim???

Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 5:04pm Quote:

The Truth Behind Flight Pro Sim (26 October 2009) When we here at FlightSim.Com first heard about Flight Pro Sim (flightprosim.com) we were excited to think there was a new sim available. However, some research determined that this is nothing more than a boxed version of the well known and long available Flight Gear open source simulator. While there's nothing illegal about any of this, if you want Flight Gear you can download it for free from the Flight Gear web site (www.flightgear.org).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk

Well that solves the <$100 FlightSim

Thanks for that Tassie Tiger, you've just saved me $100 cool.gif I'll just have to be patient.

I only can imagine how new simulator will look with Directx11...when this arcade game offers so much with DirectX9 !!

Tell you whut! I have played the demo, and if Aerosoft could do a Sim with at a minimum the technical fidelity of FSX and the graphics to match this game.... Grown people would cry.

• Upvote 1

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but I was thinking that it would be nice if a program similar to the enbseries mod could be added to AFS2012, where the user can change the visual appearance of the FS, by adding soft glow, making the background blur due to motion, or even change saturation/colorization settings. (or something in that area). Also, I not sure if this is possible, but it would be cool, if you could see the exterior visuals of the plane get dirtier over time. :)

Thanks,

FlyBoyMario

• Upvote 2

Any new flight sim, MUST be frame rate friendly. Microsoft seemed to have a problem with this especially with FSX. Although most Aerosoft software was quite frame rate friendly.

• Upvote 1

Hi my first post, I dont know if its been ask will there be AI planes also? If there is will they also fly the airways? It would be nice to add such feature as you will really have traffic on the same airway you are flying. Cant wait till 2012 rolleyes.gif .

• Upvote 1

Hello All! This is my first post to this forum, but I have been keeping up with these threads since November, and have found the ideas and discussions very interesting. I thought it was time I add my 2 cents to the discussion.

I would classify myself as a casual sim flyer (not a real pilot) who only recently started to try to learn some the finer points of flying. I fly FSX and X-Plane 9.4 often. I have also spent a lot of time with FS9, some time with X-Plane 8, and short stints in with other sims going back to the mid-90s.

Here are some of the thoughts I have had for ASFS 2012:

1. I do like the idea of a Career mode, but I also feel it should not get in the way of a separate free flight mode where you can go anywhere in the world and fly any plane in your hanger.

2. Speaking of Hangers, how about some buildings that actually have interior spaces to them.

3. This probably falls under AI in general, but better intelligence of ground operations. I have a hard time believing two things I see on a regular basis in larger airports in FSX actually happen at real airports. The first is ground vehicles such as baggage carts in the taxi ways. The second is that every plane is asked to yield to them as they drive by (if I am wrong about this second one, someone please let me know).

4. Open architecture for addons. I know this has already been discussed, but I do think it is very important.

4a. A recommended editor for plane models, scenery models, airport layouts, etc. If this is something Aerosoft develops in house, then please make it available to everyone. If there are 3rd party tools that are used, please let us know what they are.

5. Better lighting night lighting of airports. I find the areas around gates to be generally very dark.

6. Labeling of gates at airports. I have often found myself taxi to the general location of a gate, then needing assistance in finding the specific one.

7. Regular updates to react to the evolving world. This would include items such as changes to major airports. I think this could be a yearly thing, and maybe something where we could even choose which updates to get. I am not saying it needs to be every airport in the world is reevaluated, but at least keep track of major changes to the top 100.

That is about all I can come up with at the movement. I do want to mention as a parting note that I tried the demo of Wings of Prey. The graphics (which I had on medium) where still fantastic and the frame rate was smooth. I especially liked the intensive feeling of speed you get when you are very close to the ground.

Cheers,

Phil

• Upvote 2

I did think of something else:

8. Better control of the start state of a flight. In other words, if I have a lot of time, let me start from a cold dark plane doing all of the start up. If I just want to taxi and fly, let me start at the gate or parking with the engine running. Or if I just want to get in the air, allow me to start with engine running, flaps set, at the end of a runway.

One possibility that I think would be cool is if you could base it around selecting a start point from a check list. So if I selected the taxi phase of my check list, it would start me at the gate with everything before the taxi portion done. But even beyond that, if I selected the Decent phase of a check list, the sim would simulate the flight up until the point where I want to start, taking into account several factors such as traffic, weather, fuel load, to give me an accurate/unique flight.

Phil

• Upvote 2

Another thing that would be nice, would be an option to change or disable the default flight, where you can change the airplane and situation you start in; for example, you could have the default flight start on approach to TNCM, or you could start cold and dark at VHHX. A way you could set that, could be that you save the flight while in free flight, then when you go to settings, you can choose it as the default flight, so next to you open up AFS2012, it would already be loaded, and all you have to do is click the Fly button.

• Upvote 1

Another thing that would be nice, would be an option to change or disable the default flight, where you can change the airplane and situation you start in; for example, you could have the default flight start on approach to TNCM, or you could start cold and dark at VHHX. A way you could set that, could be that you save the flight while in free flight, then when you go to settings, you can choose it as the default flight, so next to you open up AFS2012, it would already be loaded, and all you have to do is click the Fly button.

Well thats how i start my fsx. For the time my 737 stands ready in billund Denmark.

Happy flying Michael (Denmark)

3. This probably falls under AI in general, but better intelligence of ground operations. I have a hard time believing two things I see on a regular basis in larger airports in FSX actually happen at real airports. The first is ground vehicles such as baggage carts in the taxi ways. The second is that every plane is asked to yield to them as they drive by (if I am wrong about this second one, someone please let me know).

At larger airports, ground vehicles usually have their own marked lanes and mostly try to stay away from the taxiways. Of course, you'll still find the odd vehicle on taxiways, or even runways, like follow-me vans or the cars that periodically check the runways for debris and braking conditions. On smaller airports, vehicles tend to just drive wherever they see fit. But in any case, aircraft always have the right of way over ground-based vehicles - if their ATC clearance doesn't say otherwise, that is.

Judith

At larger airports, ground vehicles usually have their own marked lanes and mostly try to stay away from the taxiways. Of course, you'll still find the odd vehicle on taxiways, or even runways, like follow-me vans or the cars that periodically check the runways for debris and braking conditions. On smaller airports, vehicles tend to just drive wherever they see fit. But in any case, aircraft always have the right of way over ground-based vehicles - if their ATC clearance doesn't say otherwise, that is.

Judith

Thanks for the clarification Judith. I had a feeling something like that was the case.

Phil

Well thats how i start my fsx. For the time my 737 stands ready in billund Denmark.

Happy flying Michael (Denmark)

Really? I didn't know you could change the default flight. No matter, even if I click the default flight button in the save flight area, it always starts with Friday Harbor. Also, I meant that it would be loaded as a background process with the sim, so when it starts up and takes you to the free flight menu, as soon as you click fly, you will start with where ever you set the default flight as, skipping the whole loading process. Anyway, its just an idea, I don't know too much about the technical aspect behind it.

• Upvote 1

I find the flight loading menus to be pretty frustrating in both FS9 and FSX. For example I use two monitors and usualy have popup panels displayed on the second monitor. This panel layout can be saved with a saved flight but cannot be saved with the aircraft - if I have a BA B747 parked at Heathrow, I can load this flight with the panel layout saved but if I want to fly a Virgin B747 and change the aircraft the panel settings are lost.

Ideally you should be able to save and edit custom aircraft setups including panel layouts, and control profiles similar to what can be setup in FSUIPC. Select a saved situation - parked at heathrow - then if I want to change the aircraft select one of the saved aircraft profiles (edit it if required), edit time, weather etc. Provide a lot more flexibility in the flight setup.

It would also be handy if a top down map of the airport could be shown for picking your parking spot, similar to an AFCAD view would be fine although allowing add on developers to add their own custom maps. At the moment at smaller airports I will usually slew around to find my parking spot rather than scroll through the list of parking spots in the load screen, at bigger airports I will often open AFCAD and use that to move to a suitable parking spot.

Just a couple of ideas,

Regards,

David Marshall

A few suggestions to the "upcoming" Sim

1.Better ATC vocals , means a more realistic ATC same as aerosoft's add ons payware

2.emergency landings by your situation and randomly unknown situation to deal with

3.better frame rates

4.better realistic lights an challenging mission

and much more..

here is a list of things a friend and myself would love to see:

• photo real scenary
  • realistc airports
  • more cars and airport traffic - police, fire, ambulance, catering vans, bus, stair trucks (if at airports without gates or parked to far away)
  • real world airlines - both to fly and as traffic
  • crash feature - plane stress, wings/engines fall off, denting, glass breaking, landing gear collage, on landing
  • slide feature on crash landing where passengers escape
  • on/off feature for water landings - so we dont have to bounce off every time

cheers