A new simulator

HELOOOOO is there any progress on this project??? Mathijas??? What`s going on here?

Helooooooo ????????

brds

Martin

Let me start off by saying, I was beyond thrilled when I first heard, over a year and a few months ago, that Aerosoft announced they were thinking of developing a new flight game/sim. I was again overly pleased when they asked us for opinions and started this forum to discuss the "new" flight game/sim. I was very happy when I saw Mathijas starting new monthly "progress" topics here.

I was hoping by now - over a year and a few months later- there would be some defininite news. Maybe there is, and they are not announcing it? I don't know. All I know is - I know things take longer than I wish they would, but it has been very quiet in this "AFS 2012" area (to say the least).

What I hope, but don't expect or "demand" are some quick answers to these two questions:

1. Has Aerosoft decide on a game engine yet? I hear great things of ROF, so maybe that one is being thought about?

2. Will this be a world-wide open-sand box game or sim?

But like I posted a while, while back. I am trying to not check this forum everyday, but I am still excited about the possibility of a new flight sim that will be graphically amazing, with true multimonitor support (left, center, right views).

Time will tell. Just hope and wait :-)

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Something I have been thinking about a lot recently is textures.

Even as I sit on the airport Tarmac preparing to take off and glance at the scenery around me, I can't help thinking how good it can look. But even at it's best, there is a bit of a cartoon-like air to all video game scenery, despite the advances in the last few years.

Part of that must be textures and texture resolution but another part is the use of light and shadow. The human eyes is very discerning in noting those little differences between a picture and reality, and it's very hard to fool for long.

Nonetheless, games like crisis with their heavy use of realistic shadows, depth of field, Increasingly sophisticated shaders, volumetric fog and clouds and smoke......

All these things combined have worked in the last few years to makes games and simulations that are inching closer and closer to the goal of finally completely fooling the eye.

Yet out of all the game genres, flight simulation has almost always seemed to be the last to take advantage of these new effects/techniques/technologies. I am hoping strongly that Afs2013 decides to try (insomuch as it is able) to be a showcase of the visual as well as technical realism available to the best programmers nowadays.

• Upvote 3

Something I have been thinking about a lot recently is textures.

Even as I sit on the airport Tarmac preparing to take off and glance at the scenery around me, I can't help thinking how good it can look. But even at it's best, there is a bit of a cartoon-like air to all video game scenery, despite the advances in the last few years.

I find the "cartoon appearance" of some games can and does kill the immersion factor. I think the reason for the cartoon appearance (for example, in FSX) is the cleaniness and "newness" everything on the ground. For example, all the buldings, cars, houses, lawns, etc, are all so pristine and clean.

When I am driving down the street, IRL, some buildings are old, some lawns are unmowed, there's grime, etc.

I think if buildings and other ground items are made to look old and worn, the realism and immersion factor would be highly improved.

I hope this new sims takes this into consideration.

• Upvote 1

Regarding the AFCAD (or how it will be called then...), it also should be possible, to assign taxiways for only one direction like a "one-way-street". With this additional feature it would be possible, to define real traffic-routings for the AI-traffic (e.g. Paris-CDG around Term.1...)

In regards to this and other comments about specific runways being used for takeoffs and landings, I would also like to see this done with airports where there is one way in and one way out. For example:

KFAY

Most of the approaches are done on runway 22 and take offs on runway 4 even though the taxiway runs the entire length of the runway. I think it's probably because of where the passenger terminal is.

just my two cents :)

One big tip, as the menu's of both FS9/FSX are pretty simple there is still a lot of room for progress there. Make them as simple meaning: One settings knob with all the graphics etc in seperate sections. (which isn't too well done on FS9/FSX in my opinion).

Secondly good clouds etc would be a great advangtage. Thirdly don't make mountains just little sand hills like FS9 and FSX are doing. But make some realistic mountains on the niveau of add-ons. And maybe as last one some life on the ground as well, realistic ground services, so a bit AES implemented stuff :)?

Hope this points help (probably those already have been told)

Greetings,

Tom

And in all the excitement, microsoft throw something in the ring that looks like a new simulator.

They have probably send aerosoft in the thinking box. A branch in the wheel.

Maybe just a advance game, but it looks like something thats rewritten. And they mension

a former developer from the aces studio. so what happens next.

Best regards from Denmark

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

And in all the excitement, microsoft throw something in the ring that looks like a new simulator.

They have probably send aerosoft in the thinking box. A branch in the wheel.

Maybe just a advance game, but it looks like something thats rewritten. And they mension

a former developer from the aces studio. so what happens next.

Best regards from Denmark

It'll never be a good flightsim (the MS one)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Its a time now since we heard something new about this!

I know that no one is care about what I want in this sim (if they now will make it), but, I will say it anyway.

I want the sim to be more opensource, with SDK that is included so everyone can make aircrafts, scenery etc.

And one important thing is that it will support Linux, cuz very many fs people is using Linux, and there comes a problem if you want to play FS (I know WineHQ exist, but it isnt such good).

• Deputy Sheriffs

Its a time now since we heard something new about this!

I know that no one is care about what I want in this sim (if they now will make it), but, I will say it anyway.

I want the sim to be more opensource, with SDK that is included so everyone can make aircrafts, scenery etc.

And one important thing is that it will support Linux, cuz very many fs people is using Linux, and there comes a problem if you want to play FS (I know WineHQ exist, but it isnt such good).

Linux is definitely a NO GO !!! It's not even worth a discussion.

Reason is very simple: A simulator like this depends a lot on the latest hardware available for desktop PCs. And the support for latest drivers e.g. graphiccards or other peripherals (joystick, hardware throttle ...) is very poor. So Linux for servers YES, YES, YES, for desktops and simming NO NO NO!

(Statement from somebody selling Linux products and services for Enterprises ;) )

• 4 weeks later...

It would be nice if a begin date and an end date could be coupled to an object. The World Trade Center was build in 1968 and destoyed in 2001. If a flight date between this dates is chosen then the Twin Towers will be visible. This way we can travel in time and build historic airports.

Edward Davids

• Upvote 1

It would be nice if a begin date and an end date could be coupled to an object. The World Trade Center was build in 1968 and destoyed in 2001. If a flight date between this dates is chosen then the Twin Towers will be visible. This way we can travel in time and build historic airports.

Edward Davids

Just imagine the GB size of the simulator, I like the idea, but its huge.

If you keep it really simple then it adds 2 bytes per object. If you have a million objects then it adds 2 MB. How many extra scenery you install is your own choise. For Aerosoft it means that they can sell an airport multiple times.

:wub:

Thats not an issue. Otherwise this forum would have many GB :).

Databases are very good optimized in caching and efficiently storing data.

best regards.

• 2 months later...
Reason is very simple: A simulator like this depends a lot on the latest hardware available for desktop PCs.

Only if you want snazzy graphics. Personally I want an accurate FLIGHT SIMULATOR with REALISTIC AIR SIMULATION MODEL AND WEATHER ENGINE, not eye-candy.

I'm still flying Falcon 4.0 from 1997, and that has graphics that most would not tolerate, but as a simulator there is nothing on the market even now that comes close to the realism, accuracy and depth of the aircraft systems, flight model, AI and ground campaign (and it is the only sim to have a truly dynamic campaign engine - in 14 years it hasn't played the same way twice that I can recall).

The Linux idea is not a bad one - use it as a highly customized, RTOS (Real-Time Operating System). This is something Windows isn't, and can't be made to be. It would enable the OS part to be as minimal as possible, maximizing performance and system availability for the simulator, and could be made to run LiveCD style! RTOS would be very important for being able to truly simulate things that can't properly be done under Windows because timing is everything and only on an RTOS do you have total control over timing.

Best regards,

Robin.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I think that would be great for Aerosoft to develop products to X-plane 10 rather than build up a new simulator.

Your wishes were heard. Aerosoft will be much more active in the future putting its hands on XP10 ;). As I know there are currently some installers in development which should work also on Mac and Linux(?). The first products will be ported ones like, Airbus X.

In case of the new simulator. Its put on "ice" (more passive activities than active ones).

Best regards

Emmanuel

• 2 months later...

Hmm... I wonder, why everybody has to start everything from the scratch and alone? AFS as a combination of the soon to be released Outerra Engine, Orbx textures and Aerosoft putting it all together would sound about ideal to me... Why not work together? We all know Orbx's talent - and Outerra seems to be extremely capable also (take a look at the features and videos).

http://www.outerra.com/

http://outerra.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/cameni47