A new simulator

As for myself: I own only legal copies of any MS FS addon I have, since I love MS FS and Aerosoft products. I like to support them, and I would even pay a 100 Euros for an Aerosoft Flight Simulator 2012 if it's worth it. And that's the next point: I don't use software that I don't like to use. So I don't need illegal copies. However, even I have something without the right to use it on my HDD (a few music files...).

All very informative, and even thought provoking, but you may be missing the point. Jari Jr's idea of coming onto somebody's site (or into their home or business or whatever) and drawing attention to himself with statements amounting to "Hey, did you know I take your stuff that you worked hard on and unless I feel like it, I don't bother paying for it." Is never going to be a popular opening gambit......

Here in the States, we call that cruisin' for a bruisin."

Parasitic species that have no services to offer in return are rarely (probably never) welcomed.

In the same way you can enter the Office of your big boss and tell him that it is right to screw his Wife and his Daughter because you feel he might pay too little and so you get the right balance.

Because you don´t steal money... :angry:

What a world ...

Whats up with the weather in the new sim ? Any interesting ideas ? FSX clouds for example look horrible especially when you fly through them. Also we are missing vapors. I wonder if it is possible to make the humidity levels simulated in the sim. Like for example if it just rained we can see wings produce vapors in low lift conditions.(check out some of the md11 take offs in wet humid conditions for example) Also the more humid it is, more vapors produced by the wings. Maybe some water going on the windows and stuff like that.

Also we are missing wake turbulence .... any word on that ?

- Vlad

You certainly mean high lift conditions, don't you.

no I mean low wing lift conditions... :) most of the so called clouds produced by airplanes are in low lift conditions, I am not going to get into the details of aviation weather since that wasn't my favorite subject and I don't remember much anyways :) maybe somebody can explain it better then me here....

-Vlad

Well, the distinction between high lift and low lift conditions is kind of confusing anyway, because apart from short durations during maneuvering, lift has to always equal weight, or else the aircraft would drop or skyrocket. If you think about it, that has to be the case even in (constant rate) climbs and descends: a difference between lift and weight would cause acceleration in the vertical. That being said, in conditions where the coefficient of lift has to be high in order for the wings to produce the necessary amount of lift - i.e. at low airspeeds - the pressure drop above the wing is high as well. And it's this sudden pressure drop that causes instant condensation, forming visible water vapor. So you typically see these phenomena during the takeoff/climb-out and approach/landing phases.

Judith

Well, the distinction between high lift and low lift conditions is kind of confusing anyway, because apart from short durations during maneuvering, lift has to always equal weight, or else the aircraft would drop or skyrocket. If you think about it, that has to be the case even in (constant rate) climbs and descends: a difference between lift and weight would cause acceleration in the vertical. That being said, in conditions where the coefficient of lift has to be high in order for the wings to produce the necessary amount of lift - i.e. at low airspeeds - the pressure drop above the wing is high as well. And it's this sudden pressure drop that causes instant condensation, forming visible water vapor. So you typically see these phenomena during the takeoff/climb-out and approach/landing phases.

Judith

Well said , see, you got my point :) Now , is there a possibility this can be simulated along with humidity and weather.. doesn't sound too hard, well , at least in my opinion :)

Recently saw these on the Outerra website.

l007.jpg

l008.jpg

Their game engine is looking really rather good now. I read somewhere that they have about 3 or 4 combat flight sims interested.

Rhydian

update: This video got released this morning (04/07/2010). Looks like it has a lot of potential.

Blimey... I am very confused as to why somebody has voted this post down. Have I offended anybody?

• Upvote 2

I Have been a constant user of Flight Simulator for over 10 years & I (reluctantly) no longer use it. There are a number of reasons for this:

- Microsoft have a reputation for releasing software with an almost infinite number of glitches and incompatibilities. (VISTA, etc..) This was the single greatest problem with flight sim. The majority of the flights loaded in FS either crashed or didn't work as intended. This left me reluctant to load a flight of longer than an hour just in case the program would crash towards the end of the flight.

- Third party development should still be confined to certain criteria. This includes, easy installation, flawless compatibility, & above all, attention to detail. I have actually paid money for aircraft that are both inaccurate in their handling & not complete! If I purchase a Bell 206 I should be able to walk up to it on the Helipad, open the door, & go through a complete startup procedure as I would in the real world. (Easy-startup should be on offer for the novice though)

- Free Flight was the mainstay of flight sim, but you would appeal to a far greater audience if you offered career mode. One could progress from a private pilots licence, through working for small charter companies, until eventually the honour is bestowed on you to fly the Heavies. Along the way you could make money to purchase your very own companies & Aircraft. Lets not forget how addictive the rewards are in Games these days (i.e. new guns in Call Of Duty)

- The sound engine in FS was inaccurate. It never really felt real.

- At lot of games these days benchmark the host computer & adjust the graphics accordingly. A new option to do this would not go amiss.

- Aircraft wear & tear & the maintenance thereof: How great would it be if you knew you could actually hurt that big bird if you don't take enough care of her. IL2: 1946 is a prime example of this.

- I could go on forever.......

SPY.

• Upvote 1

I have actually paid money for aircraft that are both inaccurate in their handling & not complete!

And how is that Microsoft's fault?

you would appeal to a far greater audience if you offered career mode

Since there are at least 1001 possible 'career' paths in aviation, confining a game to one of them would be quite limiting, and completely unrealistic for most of the audience.

- At lot of games these days benchmark the host computer & adjust the graphics accordingly.

As does FSX.

Judith

And how is that Microsoft's fault?

Since there are at least 1001 possible 'career' paths in aviation, confining a game to one of them would be quite limiting, and completely unrealistic for most of the audience.

As does FSX.

Judith

- I'm in no way implying that it's Microsoft's fault. In fact you will notice that my comment about third party software is another point altogether. It just seems that so much effort is required to get some add-on software working properly. If you want your FMC to work you need to pay to get new AIRAC cycles, If you want Traffic you need to pay for that as an addon. You require Pete Dawson's FSUIPC to run most stuff and it just seems silly that all this effort is required. More often than not, with all that software running together one of your applications will crash due to an incompatibility.

- Yes, there are many career paths in the aviation world but as far as i'm aware, there are major stepping stones to one's progression. These are as follows:

A PPL (private Pilots Licence)

Instrument Rating

Night Rating

A CPL (Commercial Pilots Licence)Be it single or multi-engined.

ATPL (Airline Transport Pilots licence)

There are variations on this theme but these are the major stepping stones. How then, could taking these steps in a career mode in a game be unrealistic? I also strongly believe that a free fly mode should always remain the backbone of the simulator.

- AS for Benchmarking, Thats simply not true, I have purchased extreme Graphics cards & various other upgrades for my pc. FSX does not adjust the graphics to suit my pc.

SPY

• Upvote 1

How then, could taking these steps in a career mode in a game be unrealistic?

The vast majority of pilots stop off their career path at the PPL level and never progress any further. Of those who do, only a tiny majority end up in commercial heavies. And of those who do end up in airliners, many have started out in the Air Force.

- AS for Benchmarking, Thats simply not true, I have purchased extreme Graphics cards & various other upgrades for my pc. FSX does not adjust the graphics to suit my pc.

That was probably either because you didn't delete the configuration file to trigger a re-evaluation of your PC, or the upgrade didn't change the performance bucket your PC was benchmarked into.

Judith

The vast majority of pilots stop off their career path at the PPL level and never progress any further. Of those who do, only a tiny majority end up in commercial heavies. And of those who do end up in airliners, many have started out in the Air Force.

That was probably either because you didn't delete the configuration file to trigger a re-evaluation of your PC, or the upgrade didn't change the performance bucket your PC was benchmarked into.

Judith

That is true I agree, but the question still stands: wouldn't it be great to have a rewards based career mode in a flight sim. Imagine in the beginning you could have a hangar with a little cessna and be able to progress up to turbo props & then your first airliner? There are a few addons for fsx that offer a career path In various fields and these appeared to be very popular.

Spy

• Upvote 1

If you all want a career mode so badly I have a solution. You can join one of the many VA's that fly on VATSIM or IVAO... Why spend your career alone, when you can spend it with a team. If you want the ultimate experience go to www.united-virtual.com it only takes 225+ hours and at least 6 checkrides to make it to the 747 Widebody rating smile.gif By then you really will be a pro and recognized by your peers, I guarentee it. What's offered online will never be replicated by software gathering "statistics" on your flights.

If you all want a career mode so badly I have a solution. You can join one of the many VA's that fly on VATSIM or IVAO... Why spend your career alone, when you can spend it with a team. If you want the ultimate experience go to www.united-virtual.com it only takes 225+ hours and at least 6 checkrides to make it to the 747 Widebody rating smile.gif By then you really will be a pro and recognized by your peers, I guarentee it. What's offered online will never be replicated by software gathering "statistics" on your flights.

Yes, sounds promising but sadly you're using FSX, which is the whole problem here. FSX is great when it works properly but thats once in a blue moon!!! I'll gladly join your VA if a new, more stable platform is released, even if it was Microsoft again.....

• Upvote 1

Yes, sounds promising but sadly you're using FSX, which is the whole problem here. FSX is great when it works properly but thats once in a blue moon!!! I'll gladly join your VA if a new, more stable platform is released, even if it was Microsoft again.....

And that's the thing, isn't it? This new simulator has to be a "Wow! I am buying that right now!" sort of thing.

If its an "Oh, well maybe.... after they work on it a bit more...." sort of thing, and too many people sit on the fence, then you could now have the sim world divided into three camps.

Are there really enough third-party resources to handle that situation.....?

I am going to suspect not........

I hope that porting over FSX stuff turns out to be a relatively easy/painless process.......... (If legality allows that level of compatibility.....)

Their game engine is looking really rather good now. I read somewhere that they have about 3 or 4 combat flight sims interested.

Outerra is amazing!

• Upvote 1

A lack of foresight in the development of multiplayer in fsx led to quite funny results: if during a multiplayer session another player had an add-on that I didn't have, fsx would use one of my default aircraft as a replacment. This led to many a hilarious moment where for example a cessna 172 would be flying at .82 Mach at 37 000 feet!!!! Difficult problem to overcome though.

Good luck Aerosoft. Make sure you use traditional German ethic in the development of this sim. ATTENTION TO DETAIL!!!!!! I have to agree with Tassie on this one, I can't use FSX anymore. It's just too badly programmed!!!

• Upvote 1

Good luck Aerosoft. Make sure you use traditional German ethic in the development of this sim. ATTENTION TO DETAIL!!!!!! I have to agree with Tassie on this one, I can't use FSX anymore. It's just too badly programmed!!!

More aesthetics! Playing with some of the newest flight games, I see that the old paradigm of roads as flat ribbons "painted" along the ground remains in affect. Since these games are "historical" IE: world war 2 era, this is probably acceptable, but a modern game depicting modern road networks through cities and near airports really should probably find a way to finally raise those flat ribbons into the air! Along with that, Ai trains might profitably make their debut in a real-world sim.........

But what I am really thinking of is "crowd sourcing" the practice of leveraging the efforts of the masses to do things that one might not have the resources to do alone.

In this case, I am thinking of my experiments in FSX using Ez-scenery: It occurs to me that if such simple object placement tools were placed directly within the Sim along with the strong encouragement to locals to add and update details to their own areas, a level of realism that might not otherwise be practical might result, particularly if there was a central clearing house to check quality and push forwards the best efforts competitively.

To help that along, Aerosoft or third parties could also produce detailed libraries of objects (For free or for sale) that would integrate with the default libraries and be available to be called at will both by users, Aerosoft and third parties. (Dock objects: Volume 1) or (animated people, Volume 13)

Just a thought.

• Upvote 2

[...] finally raise those flat [road] ribbons into the air! Along with that, Ai trains might profitably make their debut in a real-world sim...

X-Plane has had 3D roads and AI trains for years... ;)

But what I am really thinking of is "crowd sourcing"

How about using OpenStreetMap as a scenery source, like Laminar Research is planning for the soon to be released X-Plane 10? Crowd sourcing seems to work quite well within the X-Plane community as well: All of the taxiway layouts have been produced that way. The problem with that approach is, of course, that it only works well within a reasonably large community, and that quality varies widely. And, of course, your favorite airports tends to be lacking, or even missing completely...

Judith

• Upvote 1