A new simulator

For practising IFR it would be cool to be able to display navigation aids like VORs and glidepaths in the real world not just look at them on a map.

Just so you know, there is a feature in FS2004 and FSX that can do this. It's called "Visual Flight Path", and you can get to it by going to Aircraft -> Visual Flight Path in-game.

That said, the idea could definitely be improved upon. For example, in MSFS if you deviate too much from the flight path the guides simply disappear; it would be helpful if they simply remained there.

I have discovered something I was totally unaware of- I would like to point out a tactical war simulator that I only learned about nearly 2 weeks ago. As I am sometimes interested in military simulation in addition to flying my full scale Lear Jet 45 sim, I downloaded the demo for ARMA 2 after seeing some of the below videos online. I can no longer accept the long time excuse that a flight simulator has too many calculations to make to keep the flight aspect smooth while having incredible detail on the ground.

PLEASE, just look at the videos and see for yourself. This proves that massive detail can be placed into a simulation environment and retain high FPS as well as smooth action all around. My system Im running the demo on is an AMD 6400 (3.2 dual core) w/ 9800 GTX 512MB and 4 gigs of RAM on Windows XP Home and when trying the helo flight myself I have great performance (as well as the other tasks in this sotware too).

I should point out that the grass looks like grass, pavement looks like pavement, and trees look like trees. The detail is MASSIVE. Also, the map for this simulator is 250 Sqaure Kilometers, so it's not just some simple little map like what is found on console first person shooters. This title has actually been used by militaries for tactical demonstration.

(Especially between 1:05-1:35)

Notice the author's face in the character in the TrackIR demo-Also, you can see that the ground detail blows away anything ever concieved for FS while the pilot is flying the helo- all with incredible frame rate.

Here you see an A-10 mission with tons of low level flight

There are countless other ARMA 2 videos online that will demonstrate what Im raving about, but in short my point here is that,

1) It is possible to have all the detail we've ever wanted and still have good performance on the newer machines (like i7). This detail is all present even when you have dozens of AI soldiers, equipment, aircraft, and even animals (rabbit, dear, insects) moving about the map at all times. The sounds are incredible too.

2) This company (Bohemia Interactive) has created an incredible simulation that I had never heard of until by mistake one day 2 weeks ago. Maybe Aerosoft can investigate their gaming engine???

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

I can only assume that you wouldn't have posted these if you weren't planning to make your own sim as good or better. :)

Any progress that you can report? (I suppose if there was you already would have, but it can't hurt to ask. :rolleyes: )

Colin

It does not hurt. But we are in the discussions about money right now. VERY bad for my sleep pattern.

But if it happens, yes it will need to look as good as this. Better in fact as it will be based on DX11. And DX11 loves snow.

• Upvote 3

I have discovered something I was totally unaware of- I would like to point out a tactical war simulator that I only learned about nearly 2 weeks ago. As I am sometimes interested in military simulation in addition to flying my full scale Lear Jet 45 sim, I downloaded the demo for ARMA 2 after seeing some of the below videos online. I can no longer accept the long time excuse that a flight simulator has too many calculations to make to keep the flight aspect smooth while having incredible detail on the ground.

PLEASE, just look at the videos and see for yourself. This proves that massive detail can be placed into a simulation environment and retain high FPS as well as smooth action all around. My system Im running the demo on is an AMD 6400 (3.2 dual core) w/ 9800 GTX 512MB and 4 gigs of RAM on Windows XP Home and when trying the helo flight myself I have great performance (as well as the other tasks in this sotware too).

I should point out that the grass looks like grass, pavement looks like pavement, and trees look like trees. The detail is MASSIVE. Also, the map for this simulator is 250 Sqaure Kilometers, so it's not just some simple little map like what is found on console first person shooters. This title has actually been used by militaries for tactical demonstration.

(Especially between 1:05-1:35)

Notice the author's face in the character in the TrackIR demo-Also, you can see that the ground detail blows away anything ever concieved for FS while the pilot is flying the helo- all with incredible frame rate.

Here you see an A-10 mission with tons of low level flight

There are countless other ARMA 2 videos online that will demonstrate what Im raving about, but in short my point here is that,

1) It is possible to have all the detail we've ever wanted and still have good performance on the newer machines (like i7). This detail is all present even when you have dozens of AI soldiers, equipment, aircraft, and even animals (rabbit, dear, insects) moving about the map at all times. The sounds are incredible too.

2) This company (Bohemia Interactive) has created an incredible simulation that I had never heard of until by mistake one day 2 weeks ago. Maybe Aerosoft can investigate their gaming engine???

That indeed is intense. The thing about Flight Sim is that it is SO obviously just copy and paste over the whole world pretty much. It would be nice, although probably very time consuming to have the world individually designed. I don't know how feasable that really is. The thing is though, for the simmers who cruise at 38 000 ft for hours what is in it for them they would much prefer just having better immersion and detail concerning the air. MAYBE the best solution I don't know if people will agree is to have a GA sim and a Professional Sim.

Well of course we couldnt expect the entire world to be at this detail out of the box neccesarily, but the ability to do it would be the real catch. However, I need to make an amendment to my original points in that ARMA II itself is not what different militaries use, but is the 'commercial' version of Bohemia Interactive's Virtual Battlespace 2, which IS used by the USMC, USA, Australia, etc. Also it should be noted that ARMA II supposedly was really buggy at realease but I want to point out that the purpose of my post was that if the engine is developed right, then high detail (like ORBX or better) can be implemented into a FS without it killing performance on a modern machine.

• Upvote 2

i'd really like to see a weather radar like in "flight unlimited 3" or maybe even one with an integrated TCAS that can override the autopilot if the pilot does not react.

and a better engine management system would be nice too, that means a better TO/GA function like in FSX's A321 which can override the autopilot.

not to forget a working flight computer where you can program FLEX and set most economic or fastest takeoff/climb throttle.

and wear on things is nice too. for example different tire textures if you do a lot of go arounds. and realistic random malfunctions which can be disabled by menu.

sorry if it's out of context but i didn't know where else to post...

thank you for making the saga go on! biggrin.gif

i'd really like to see a weather radar like in "flight unlimited 3" or maybe even one with an integrated TCAS that can override the autopilot if the pilot does not react.

and a better engine management system would be nice too, that means a better TO/GA function like in FSX's A321 which can override the autopilot.

not to forget a working flight computer where you can program FLEX and set most economic or fastest takeoff/climb throttle.

and wear on things is nice too. for example different tire textures if you do a lot of go arounds. and a dirty airplane would look beautiful after a landing on a wet runway. and realistic random malfunctions which can be disabled by menu. and glaring water reflections if the sun shines onto a wet runway/airplane after a short rainfall.

for the flying dynamics part:

doesn't a plane with a t-tail (CRJ600) get in serious trouble, if the pilot manages to get the engines into the wing's airflow? i think this is called "deep stall".

sorry if it's out of context but i didn't know where else to post...

thank you for making the saga go on! biggrin.gif

sorry for doublepost by the way, i'm new here

The only thing that I can think to say that would add up to any significance is, make sure that it is coded the best that you can possibly do; in that way you won't have to buy a monster system that is not yet on the market. lol

Kind Regards,

N8349T Isaiah Smith

It does not hurt. But we are in the discussions about money right now. VERY bad for my sleep pattern.

But if it happens, yes it will need to look as good as this. Better in fact as it will be based on DX11. And DX11 loves snow.

Interesting! I had just signed on to ask about this, since I had just been to the Orbx website, and realized that the old paradigm of cutting and pasting the world was reaching the peak of its potential there, and that any new Sim would have to top that by a good margin.

The Arma Video is also a good example of an interesting phenomenon, which is that dedicated flight Sims from committed Sim companies working for many years so often seem to fall a bit short (visually!) of efforts by gaming design teams who often start from scratch with just a year or so to finish a game!

The explanation is usually that games only cover a limited area, but its apparent that even when doing specific detailed areas (Coffs harbor etc) the limits of FSX are such that the visuals of something like Arma cannot even be approached with reasonable frames.

Its a deadlock that has to be broken if Flight Sims are to move on to the "next level"

You will have to get a motto like the original superman films. "You will believe your Sim can Fly!" :P

• Upvote 1

Heres my two cents worth... I am very very glad someone is picking up the flight sim batton. I have FS98,2002,2004 I fly fs98 and 2002. I dont enjoy fs2004 because the cockpits are blurry and unatractive I never got FSX because in South Africa the price is prohibative. The things I look for in a flightsim are clear visuals, the ability to add on and modify aircraft, scenery etc. I would love to see something like Xflight has i was told they offer a facility to modify aircraft so that one can do things such as fly a "stretch" A380. i have never seen Xflight but I would love to get my hands on something like that. Well thats me done Merry Christmass all and remember dont drink and flytongue.gif

i have never seen Xflight but I would love to get my hands on something like that.

Do you mean X-Plane by some chance...? Yes it does look really interesting and for the price of a basic FsX add on, it seems remarkably good value.

I have ordered it and hopefully it will get here soon so I can see just what it is capable of and where the benchmark lies with respect of any new sim that Aerosoft may develop.

Cheers and have a merry and safe Christmas.

Unable to control my credit cards, I picked up Arma, and am pretty amazed at the visuals, though it has to be said that the flight models are pure imagination! ^_^

I also see that the world, while open in some areas can be very limited if you stray too far into the "Fog" :lol:

Very much a game, but still quite cool, and that's after only playing a few hours. Definitely a nice time-waster!

I can only fantasize about FSX ever being as effortlessly detailed and smooth. (I have Everything maxed)

• Upvote 1

What I would love to see is a guide to tweaking and tuning AFS2012. Default FSX as we all now interprets the system's hardware and creates a default setting according to what it thinks is appropriate. I would think it very unlikely anybody leaves these settings as they are - everybody has tweaked their Flight Sim settings at some point. FSX does well by giving a more complex settings menu, but the definitions it gives for each of the sliders are poor. If AFS2012 is going to be successful, it needs to be usable for people who don't have much computing knowledge. When I first looked at that settings screen, I didn't understand half of it, and it took a fair few hours scouring the internet for explanations. Surely the flight Sim should be equipped with detailed definitions, giving the user an easy to grasp explanation for every slider, its consequences e.g. frame rate performance, and hardware requirements, so where it hits the system hardest. Perhaps there could also be a guide for advanced .CFG editing, not covered in a "basic" manual for tweaking. How many of the tweaks which you perform do you get from information provided in the Sim, or that externally? Probably very few.

This will give users the knowledge that tweaks they are making are useful ones, because they are coming from the manufacturer after all, and won't give adverse effects for the system.

This point is just one of many instances in which Microsoft's Flight Sim documentation could, and should, be vastly improved.

Thanks and good Luck,

Natty

• Upvote 1

Do you mean X-Plane by some chance...? Yes it does look really interesting and for the price of a basic FsX add on, it seems remarkably good value.

X-Plane 9 is excellent!

Have a look at these videos of the upcoming CRJ-200 simply amazing! This aircraft might be better than anything PMDG has ever released for FSX, we will soon see.

http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=267861

http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=268999

Some good links here in the AVSIM xplane forum

http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showforum=335

X-Pilot is another great site

http://forums.x-pilot.com/index.php

And don't forget "the Org"

http://x-plane.org

Hopefully Aerosoft incorporate the best features of FSX and XPlane into their new sim.

Hello,

I am new in this forum. So I am going to introduce my self, my name is Quentin and i'm french , so my english is not really good ! and I am a private pilot .

I have read your forum for few months and i find your job about this new flight simulator really fantastic , congratulations !! But i have a question , maybe you have already answered to it, but i prefer to be sure !

Will this new flight simulator 2012 be compatible with Mac OS or will it be created only for Microsoft ?

Thank you for your precisions ,

have a nice evening

Quentin

Hello,

I am new in this forum. So I am going to introduce my self, my name is Quentin and i'm french , so my english is not really good ! and I am a private pilot .

I have read your forum for few months and i find your job about this new flight simulator really fantastic , congratulations !! But i have a question , maybe you have already answered to it, but i prefer to be sure !

Will this new flight simulator 2012 be compatible with Mac OS or will it be created only for Microsoft ?

Thank you for your precisions ,

have a nice evening

Quentin

As far as I know, it will be Windows only.

Hi Guys,

Aircraft wise: As long as the new sim can do everything which my FS2004 can do with the Leonardo Maddog2008 I will be a happy bunny.

I know that Aerosoft don't publish it, but I would urge you to have a look at it. It simulates systems to such an extent that it is used by real world pilots (see the forums). There is the best random failure generator which incorperates an MEL list(an important part of modern flying - coping with emergencies, following checklists) . No other aircraft comes close to this.

Also, if you could get Simon Hreadecy from Airline Simulator to work on your flight dynamics, you would be going in the right direction. His AS2 still laughs all over the Microsoft offerings where Flight Dynamics are concerned.

ATC: as far as ATC is concerned, I am assuming that you are going to allow outside developers to produce addons. I currently use Radar Contact, and am on the BETA team for the new version 5. It is important to allow 3rd party developers a free hand as much as possible, to make realistic products. I know that a lot of people fly online, but not all of us do. I am a real world ATCO, and find online flying (bar the occasional fly in) far too deserted. It is just not realistic because of the lack of numbers.

Neil

ps. finally, please don't force us to fly in virtual cockpits. Would it really hurt to allow aircraft developers to make high reselution, very realistic 2d panels for use with mulitple monitors, where it is easy to click on a spot without having to fight you Track IR to stay still. I do use both systems, but for heavy metal IFR flying, you cannot beat 2D. There are an aweful lot of people out there who agree with this.

Hi,

...It is important to allow 3rd party developers a free hand as much as possible, to make realistic products...

...finally, please don't force us to fly in virtual cockpits. Would it really hurt to allow aircraft developers to make high reselution, very realistic 2d panels for use with mulitple monitors, where it is easy to click on a spot without having to fight you Track IR to stay still. I do use both systems, but for heavy metal IFR flying, you cannot beat 2D. There are an aweful lot of people out there who agree with this.

I just *have* to second both statements with full conviction. Not much to add.

Kind regards,

Dunc.

X-Plane 9 is excellent!

Have a look at these videos of the upcoming CRJ-200 simply amazing! This aircraft might be better than anything PMDG has ever released for FSX, we will soon see.

http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=267861

http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=268999

Some good links here in the AVSIM xplane forum

http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showforum=335

X-Pilot is another great site

http://forums.x-pilot.com/index.php

And don't forget "the Org"

http://x-plane.org

Hopefully Aerosoft incorporate the best features of FSX and XPlane into their new sim.

Ouah, the CRJ200 is totally AMAZING ! That's what I call real lighting system !

That's really the bad point of FSX... With FSX you must simulate lighting with textures, the rendering is not as good and developers lose their time.

P.S. But the most amazing thing is the number of little animations on the plane (vibration on engines start, ...), and the number of functional systems.

@Edit: Ah, and, do you think it's possible to create real rotation for the fan blades of the engines, not something blurry, pls ! ;)

Like that: http://xpjets.com/previews/XPJ_777/GE90-Spoolup.mov

or that: http://www.xpjets.com/previews/XPJ_777/prattstartup.mov

Hey, Guys!

I just remembered something that has really bothered me for quite some time: In FSX, tunnels don't work like tunnels. For example: at KDFW, the highway goes through the center of the airport and the terminal is built around it. With runways on both sides, they had to make a way for aircraft to get from one side to the other, so they built taxiways over the highway (I understand there are many that do this). In FSX, however, car traffic cannot go through tunnels. This also brings to mind a slew of other problems that stem from airport flattening.

Short version: Please make tunnels work like tunnels, bridges work like bridges, and terrain like terrain.

Thanks, Merry Christmas, and have a Joyful New Year!

• Upvote 1

Hello Guys ! As ASFS will have AI TRAFFIC, so I have something to say on that. The AI should also be able to use and fly the high quality payware and freeware aircrafts that we download. They AI should not only be limited to flying the default aircrafts that will be coming with ASFS but it should also fly the downloaded aircrafts. I know this is difficult but not impossible. I think this will revolutionize the Aerosoft Flight simuator because this is the feature we havent seen before in any other sim. If this is not implemented then the ai traffic will have a body but no soul. After all ASFS is all about realism !!! I hope other people here agree with me !!

• Upvote 1

Hello Guys ! As ASFS will have AI TRAFFIC, so I have something to say on that. The AI should also be able to use and fly the high quality payware and freeware aircrafts that we download. They AI should not only be limited to flying the default aircrafts that will be coming with ASFS but it should also fly the downloaded aircrafts. I know this is difficult but not impossible. I think this will revolutionize the Aerosoft Flight simuator because this is the feature we havent seen before in any other sim. If this is not implemented then the ai traffic will have a body but no soul. After all ASFS is all about realism !!! I hope other people here agree with me !!

You are right it could be nice, and about it would bee difficult year maybee but the sim would should bee abel to run better then FSX if they create the sim like all modern games, so the pc only works whit the things you are seeing, insted of the way FSX work as it runs the hole world and slowing the pc. The used file format in fsx that needs more procesing and ram capacity then all other games, just becaus of the update on update from the earlier simulators as far as i have !!understandet!!. so yes i think whit a new way like modern gamse it would work, but you stil need a very good pc to run it i think, and whit other adjustments. It could be nice like all other things there have been talking about, but again it´s all about money and costumers need. and myself i am more interested in aerodynamic, weather as fsx need some of that, to get realistic.

The AI should not only be limited to flying the default aircrafts that will be coming with ASFS but it should also fly the downloaded aircrafts.

Should be simple to do in ASFS as you can do this in FS9/FSX in a couple of minutes using TTools :)

insted of the way FSX work as it . runs the whole world and slowing the pc.

That is not true :) .