A new simulator

I don't like the 3D because resolution of the gauges is not as good.

So you don't like the general concept because one specific implementation of that concept is of poor quality?

In X-plane you have nothing.

Well, that's not quite true. X-Plane's airport layouts are often much better than stock FSX's, including signs. Granted, you don't get any airport buildings at all if you don't go out and download some add-on scenery, which is a major drawback, and the airport database varies widely in quality, much more so than in FSX.

I don't like at FSX that I cannot change the navdatabase. For example to add a new VOR.

Yep, the nav aid database should really be easily modifiable. Like in X-Plane, where it's a simple text file. ;)

I don't use the auto-generated traffic like boats and cars

There's nothing like crossing a highway full of animated rush-hour traffic on short final...

-> Fade clouds not instantly but over a minute or a few minutes

Don't fade clouds at all, just start/stop creating new/different ones in the distance. I'd really love to see that front I'm approaching from many miles away.

+ Sloped runways (although sometimes they are WAYYYYY too sloped)

The problem with X-Plane's implementation is that the slope is determined by the terrain mesh. Which means each and every error and artifact in the mesh's source data (of which there are many) creates a bump in a runway or taxiway if there happens to be an airport at that spot. I think a better implementation would be to encode the slope (or point elevations) of the movement surfaces right into the airport database, and flatten/mold the terrain based on that data.

Judith

• Upvote 1

I would love to see a career mode, the mode would sorta be like a virtual airline, except u go through as a person and not an airline. You begin as a GFPT pilot beginning in a C152 where u go through all the basic steps and hours to get our basic lisence, you fly and get your PPL then your CPL, after this you can choose if you would like to go into the air force but risk getting cut, you could also do charter flights to increase hours or become an instructor, or if neither is what you like you could be a recreational pilot and work up your hours this way, after this you can become a commercial pilot beginning on an B717 or something small as a first officer and working your way up the ranks to become a captain of the A380.

I like the idea of a career mode too, it gives more meaning to do the actual flight. A nice and realistic briefing/planning beforehand would be cool too (having to plan ahead of the flight, choose optimal routes for the weather enroute, etc). Flight lessons could be embedded into the career mode as you said, novice pilots will be trained like in real life. Maybe some theory lessons (or even exams) should be included too.

Don't fade clouds at all, just start/stop creating new/different ones in the distance. I'd really love to see that front I'm approaching from many miles away.

I agree, this would be far more realistic. It is the first option (real cloud/weather clusters) I mentionned. This should be technologically possible, if it's not because of time/budget/system caps, the fade was an alternative. A fade might also be necessary when the weather station reports another cloud coverage suddenly, but this fade should be practically unnoticeable.

Raymond

• Upvote 2

I like the idea of a career mode too, it gives more meaning to do the actual flight. A nice and realistic briefing/planning beforehand would be cool too (having to plan ahead of the flight, choose optimal routes for the weather enroute, etc). Flight lessons could be embedded into the career mode as you said, novice pilots will be trained like in real life. Maybe some theory lessons (or even exams) should be included too.

Raymond

I will go along with this idea, it would be really nice to have a goal to strive for and give some purpose to your flights

Dale

Hi all,

Just a quick thought or two, having recently discovered this new FS project and read some of the posts here. I don't know about anyone else, but there is a considerable increase in the use of motion sensor software, especially in the console world ( Nintendo Wii etc ) that closely resembles add-ons such as Track-IR and similar systems for FS. Given that computer technology now supports the realistic use of the VC within most simulated aircraft, along with good gauges, perhaps this is something that could be modelled?

A head-tracking system, with the centre-of-view being subtly marked and able to move switches / levers etc. By looking at a particular 'active' gauge such as an HSI, perhaps that gauge could 'increase in size' slightly in order to make it easier to adjust visually via mouse or joystick. For example, looking at the HSI heading bug whilst activating a joystick hat-switch to adjust the heading up or down? Or looking at the flaps lever / undercarriage lever and setting it up or down.

If I'm reading many of the comments on this forum correctly, it is immersion in the virtual flying world that seems more important to many than immense technical accuracy, and I suspect that in the wider scheme of things casual users would agree. As such, a fixed in-cockpit perspective in terms of 'zoom', ensuring that the pilot sees the world exactly as they would do in real-life, would encourage proper use of instruments, which would be much more visible at the standard 1x zoom level of FSX / FS2004. A simplified 'arcade' flight option with more complex procedures removed more than covers casual users who just want to fly around their home town and enjoy the view, leaving the rest of us with our more complex cockpits to enjoy.

I used to fly with a military VA ( RAFsim - several vids on YouTube ) and would also suggest covering military aircraft in a bit more depth, with active weapons if possible. There's a BIG market out there for people who like bombing things and shooting things down ( Ace Combat, IL2, Falcon 4, Lock-On etc ). In the same vein, formation flying is much loved and practically impossible on-line with FS2004 or FSX, so this too should be addressed if possible. Anyone who doubts this should look at the sheer number of on-line aerobatic teams flying using Lock-On instead of FSX.

Finally, light - as in sunlight. Fly for real, and clouds cast shadows, sunbeams burst through clouds etc. Although processor intensive, immersion and sense of depth would be hugely enhanced by such features :)

Apologies if any of the above has already been covered. Good luck with the new simulator, and thanks for the chance for us fans to share our views and ideas!

• Upvote 1

Mathjis,

I don't know if you are still reading this but what do you think of opening a new post to discuss only ADVENTURES that could be in AFS2012.

People could suggest features, themes, etc.

As you told, FSX has some interesting missions.

Some suggestions (that can be moved to this new post<_<):

- career mode

.PAX

.Cargo

.Military

.SAR

-specific missions (like FSX)

-President run (you are the pilot of AF1 or other presidential airplane -other countries) flying from different countries.

-Fire fighter (I don't know if the correct name is this, but the idea is the airplanes that drop water in forests)

-CIA or FBI surveillance (drugs, terrorism, etc)

Mathjis,

I don't know if you are still reading this but what do you think of opening a new post to discuss only ADVENTURES that could be in AFS2012.

People could suggest features, themes, etc.

As you told, FSX has some interesting missions.

Some suggestions (that can be moved to this new post<_<):

- career mode

.PAX

.Cargo

.Military

.SAR

-specific missions (like FSX)

-President run (you are the pilot of AF1 or other presidential airplane -other countries) flying from different countries.

-Fire fighter (I don't know if the correct name is this, but the idea is the airplanes that drop water in forests)

-CIA or FBI surveillance (drugs, terrorism, etc)

What about a Virtual Airline assignment and record system... It could be greate to book directly to a Virtual Airline inside the AFS12 incl. the oppertunity to book it online on IVAO or VATSIM...

Mind if I show you how Rise of Flight does a full winter scene? We only found out today.

Nice, really nice! This game has some really convincing graphics most of the time. I really like how it renders forrests, water and towns/cities. I also like the fact that it really renders grass, not just green plains :)

Mind if I show you how Rise of Flight does a full winter scene? We only found out today.

I can only assume that you wouldn't have posted these if you weren't planning to make your own sim as good or better. :)

Any progress that you can report? (I suppose if there was you already would have, but it can't hurt to ask. :rolleyes: )

Colin

Given that any new simulator will have to compete with winter time sceneries like this PNW Winter it does not look too bad.

Good luck with it Mathijs, we are all still waiting with baited breath.

Cheers,

It' been snowing here in North Carolina, which reminded me of something I'd like to see in AFS2012. I'd like to be able to set snow on the ground before a flight without having to set the weather to snow. In FSX, if you want snow on the ground in places without the "Hard Winter" texture, you have to set the weather to snow and wait for it to appear on the ground. And even this doesn't work well. BTW, the RoF winter textures are great. I've been enjoying them since the last update. If AFS2012 is similar to any existing flight sim, I hope it's similar to RoF.

Just another thing id like to see is, A fmc in the defult airliner. I can understand "newbees" to the sim might find this dificult to use so you could make 2 different 747 or a320 one with fmc and one without.

Does anyone else think this way or is it just meunsure.gif

I just wanted to comment on those winter scenes from ROF. I live in Minnesota and that doesn't look much like winter around here. First of all, with the possible exception of the first one (you can't see the ground) the snow cover is much too thin. That looks more like a spring snow that will melt in four hours. Secondly, it appears as if the trees are all leafed out. Thirdly, the water is liquid. It should be frozen and snow covered. My two cents.

steve

• Upvote 2

It's been a while since I commented here, and I just wanted to chime in:

It seems kind of odd that I have read that the simulator will require Windows 7 and DirectX 11 and yet it will only be 32-bit (from what I have seen). It seems that if you really want to move forward, 64-bit would be a logical choice. Before, they hardware was there but the operating system, the drivers and the software weren't. This has changed immensely, and with many mainstream setups selling with 4GB of memory now, by 2011 I can only assume that 64-bit OSes will be very widespread.

On the other hand, I do hope you can somehow include DirectX 10 support, even if it isn't the officially supported setup. While 64-bit has been here for a while, DirectX 11 is only just emerging on the scene. Graphics cards can be expensive and not everybody can install them on their own, leading to more expense. And that's not mentioning what could happen if simmers misread the requirements and purchase your product anyways: they could become extremely frustrated with the high requirements, and pass your simulator off as another "FSX" resource hog.

P.S. When signing in today the page looked strange. Instead of regular names it contained element names such as "enter username" and "form_invisible" for "Username" and invisible sign in. Not sure if it might just be the browser (Chrome).

• Upvote 1

I just wanted to comment on those winter scenes from ROF. I live in Minnesota and that doesn't look much like winter around here. First of all, with the possible exception of the first one (you can't see the ground) the snow cover is much too thin. That looks more like a spring snow that will melt in four hours. Secondly, it appears as if the trees are all leafed out. Thirdly, the water is liquid. It should be frozen and snow covered. My two cents.

steve

I took a second look at those RoF winter screen shots, and you're right. The snow does look too thin. You can see the ground through it. I'm looking out my window right now at the snow, and I can't see the ground through it. And it's only 2 inches of snow. The snow in the screen shots just looks like a trace of snow. The trees do appear to have all of their leaves, but I guess they could be pine trees.

BTW, those rivers are frozen. It's just hard to tell in the screen shots.

• Upvote 2

I would love to see a career mode, the mode would sorta be like a virtual airline, except u go through as a person and not an airline. You begin as a GFPT pilot beginning in a C152 where u go through all the basic steps and hours to get our basic lisence, you fly and get your PPL then your CPL, after this you can choose if you would like to go into the air force but risk getting cut, you could also do charter flights to increase hours or become an instructor, or if neither is what you like you could be a recreational pilot and work up your hours this way, after this you can become a commercial pilot beginning on an B717 or something small as a first officer and working your way up the ranks to become a captain of the A380.

I like this idea. BUT I think there should be an option for impatient people (LIKE ME :D) where you can start higher up or go up levels faster. But it would definately help with the immersion and it would give the game a longer life if you know what I mean.

I don't know if this is possible but what if ASFS 2012 was to team up with some of the Virtual Airlines out there, to create a game where you would play with the virtual airline of your choice but as a career in ASFS 2012 where people would have to work their way up the airline.

FS Magazin says, that it is difficult to make correct implementation of fuel consumption and speeds (for piston engine aircrafts)

because of the leaning restrictions of FSX. So this should be improved.

BTW most issues of this discussion are about visual things.

And less about the behavior (and realism) of aircrafts??

In manuals of addon aircrafts i've seen a lot of remarks about FSX restrictions.

But not here - why?

Albrecht

In manuals of addon aircrafts i've seen a lot of remarks about FSX restrictions.

But not here - why?

Albrecht

This is a very good point, id love to see some more accurate flight dynamics, especially millitary jets in the new sim. And as i mentioned before, simulated buffeting etc and proper cockpit sounds to really bring the experience to life. Il be very happy also if the sim is formation flying friendly....

FS Magazin says, that it is difficult to make correct implementation of fuel consumption and speeds (for piston engine aircrafts)

because of the leaning restrictions of FSX. So this should be improved.

But not here - why?

Albrecht

Well, we already know that Aerosoft knows the market well (publishing titles from companies such as PMDG), and so I would assume that they will be careful to avoid the kinds of limitations that have plagued FSX. At the same time, I'm glad that this issue is being pushed. FSX limitations have resulted in missing (or incomplete) features in some add-ons. At the same time, I have heard of X-Plane add-on manufacturers using techniques such as putting another wing inside the wing in order to get the desired results. It would seem that while basing the flight model on the visual model has its advantages, it doesn't work 100% of the time the way it should, which can be an even bigger disaster than look-up tables. I'm really hoping that AFS2012 can resolve this problem.

Another issue: during late fall all of the airports near where I live are covered in snow in FSX, while the area around them uses fall textures (with no snow). I've attached a screenshot of KCLE to demonstrate this effect. In reality, there might be a little bit of snow on the ground, but there might be none. 1) The airport shouldn't use a winter texture while the surrounding area uses a fall texture; and 2) FSX simply can't handle a light dusting of snow that well, and unfortunately this occurs very often and is very widespread.

DEMONSTRATE.jpg?t=1261355193

I'm sure there are several different ways that a more realistic weather effects system could be implemented.

I live in Minnesota and that doesn't look much like winter around here.

I'm just wondering if it could possibly be because it is a WW1 sim set in parts of Europe that could have snowfall patterns different to Minnesota?

I really would not know as there is very little snow here in Western Australia, and what makes it to the ground in a very few places does not stay for long at all.

Cheers,

Well, its' been a while now since we've had any news about where this project is going. Any status update would be nicemellow.gif

Amen to that, a little info would certainly be appreciated...