My Traffic 2010 Manual

Hello Nick,

I'll ask but not sure if this may happen.

What is it about the control that you really wish to know.

If you can limit the max number of AI aircraft; not by using the traffic slider percentage. Because using the traffic slider decreases the amount of traffic everywhere. I only want to limit the amount to a max number because the CPU becomes far too saturated in places like New York. As it stands now, if I fly somewhere like Iceland I can set both traffic sliders to 100% and this is obviously because there is not a whole lot of traffic there. However if I go to JFK or somewhere similar I have to bring the sliders down because there is so much more traffic. Then if I fly to some remote area I have to bring the traffic sliders back up. This is a total pain. I have nearly all of WOAI's packages installed.

Hello Nick,

The only way I would think you could do this was to limit parking as your saying that you want to only limit it in some areas and not others.

No, I don't want to limit some areas. I want to limit the maximum number of AI everywhere. The traffic sliders do not do this. If you lower them you are not placing a limit on the maximum number of AI. What you are doing is reducing--not limiting--the number of AI everywhere (hypothetical AI numbers): 100%= 300 AI in NYC, 5 AI in Eagle County Regional, Colorado. 50%= 150 AI in NYC, 2 AI in Eagle County Regional, Colorado.

I understand what you want. The problem with it is that the quantitiy "traffic in the New York area" is not a defined quantity, since practically all flights into New York originate somewhere else, and only very few originate in other dense areas like London. And for remote areas - most of the flights from small reginonal airports in the US are exactly commuter flights into the main hubs - so if you limit in New York or Chicago you must also limit in Charleston - So basically this requirement violates basical logics - removing half the flights into the 50 big airports removes almost half the (airliner) flights everywhere.

But to turn this around into a positive arguement, the idea would be great to add the size of the airports into the caculation of the densities - so to say that a reduction of traffic density from 100% to 90% reduces the number of flights that end in NYC already by 20%, and those that go from Middle of Nowhere to another MoN only by 5%, I might think about this and experiment with it.

This said, MyTraffic editor has some unique features to handle the densities, you can set the reaction to the density slider different for GA and military AI than for airliners or Cargo as example, and you can define single airports to be "Priority airports" and not react strongly on the density sliders, while all the others do so - so their are options, but not simple to use and they require detailed planning, understanding, reading of documentations and SDK etc...

I understand what you want. The problem with it is that the quantitiy "traffic in the New York area" is not a defined quantity, since practically all flights into New York originate somewhere else, and only very few originate in other dense areas like London. And for remote areas - most of the flights from small reginonal airports in the US are exactly commuter flights into the main hubs - so if you limit in New York or Chicago you must also limit in Charleston - So basically this requirement violates basical logics - removing half the flights into the 50 big airports removes almost half the (airliner) flights everywhere.

But to turn this around into a positive arguement, the idea would be great to add the size of the airports into the caculation of the densities - so to say that a reduction of traffic density from 100% to 90% reduces the number of flights that end in NYC already by 20%, and those that go from Middle of Nowhere to another MoN only by 5%, I might think about this and experiment with it.

This said, MyTraffic editor has some unique features to handle the densities, you can set the reaction to the density slider different for GA and military AI than for airliners or Cargo as example, and you can define single airports to be "Priority airports" and not react strongly on the density sliders, while all the others do so - so their are options, but not simple to use and they require detailed planning, understanding, reading of documentations and SDK etc...

No, you are not understanding me. I do not want to limit traffic in a certain area. I want to limit the maximum amount of traffic around the entire globe. I would like to put a max AI cap for the whole sim, I.E. 200. Therefore no matter where I fly, no more than 200 AI would be loaded. This cannot be done with the traffic percentage sliders, because they reduce by percentage, not by number. If u reduce your AI percentage you do not limit the maximum amount of AI in the sim; you simple reduce the amount of AI regardless of the amount or location. I am not sure why this is so hard to grasp. If you want a demonstration, go to a regional airport with your traffic sliders set to 100%. Now, pull up the FSX menu, select "view" "view mode" "air traffic" Write down the number of AI. Now reduce the traffic sliders, and check the air traffic list again, u will see it reduced the AI. Now, go some place like New York and do the same thing. If you have My Traffic 2010 or similar you will not even be able to see the complete list, you will probably only see aircraft manufactured by manufactures that start with A and B because the list is so huge.

No, you are not understanding me. I do not want to limit traffic in a certain area. I want to limit the maximum amount of traffic around the entire globe. I would like to put a max AI cap for the whole sim, I.E. 200. Therefore no matter where I fly, no more than 200 AI would be loaded. This cannot be done with the traffic percentage sliders, because they reduce by percentage, not by number. If u reduce your AI percentage you do not limit the maximum amount of AI in the sim; you simple reduce the amount of AI regardless of the amount or location. I am not sure why this is so hard to grasp. If you want a demonstration, go to a regional airport with your traffic sliders set to 100%. Now, pull up the FSX menu, select "view" "view mode" "air traffic" Write down the number of AI. Now reduce the traffic sliders, and check the air traffic list again, u will see it reduced the AI. Now, go some place like New York and do the same thing. If you have My Traffic 2010 or similar you will not even be able to see the complete list, you will probably only see aircraft manufactured by manufactures that start with A and B because the list is so huge.

The FSX menues are useless anyway, everybody I know uses the SDK supplied menues and they are fine to display even 1200 or more aircraft around you.

Unfortunately, FSX does not provide such a way to limit the traffic. The basic design principle is to make the traffic persistent, and not to have to ever delete AI aircraft before the user eyes. And the logical consequence is that if you want to have 200 aircraft in the middle of nowehere you have 1200 in New York. Its not hard to grasp - it just is illogical with AI traffic means and impossible to implement - sorry.

And the logical consequence is that if you want to have 200 aircraft in the middle of nowehere you have 1200 in New York.

I wouldn't want 200 AI in the middle of nowhere. If I wanted 200 AI in the middle of no where I would have said "minimum AI=200" or something to similar affect. I think having a setting for minimum AI would be particularly silly and unrealistic. However having a MAX setting would make it far easier to keep the performance of the system from bogging down without going into the display settings and changing it on the fly.

I understand it is a limit of FSX. However many limits have been broken the past couple years with FSX.

Thank you for the replies and I apologize if my choice of language was too short in my previous post.

The maximum density MyTraffic reaches with full IFR and full VFR traffic is in the Los Angelos area with 600 each. So set IFR traffic to 25% and you have 150 airliners, and VFR to 10% and you are exactly at what you described, even with more options to choose between airliners and General Aviation. Still the AI traffic you see is higher than what MS supplies.

If you never fly in LAX, the next densest areas are NYC and Chicago with about 400 each, so you can run at 40% IFR and 20% VFR with knowing that you only will feel the limits of your hardware in Los Angelos...

The maximum density MyTraffic reaches with full IFR and full VFR traffic is in the Los Angelos area with 600 each. So set IFR traffic to 25% and you have 150 airliners, and VFR to 10% and you are exactly at what you described, even with more options to choose between airliners and General Aviation. Still the AI traffic you see is higher than what MS supplies.

If you never fly in LAX, the next densest areas are NYC and Chicago with about 400 each, so you can run at 40% IFR and 20% VFR with knowing that you only will feel the limits of your hardware in Los Angelos...

Yea, your right, but guess what? When I fly to some place like a regional airport, there are hardly any AI; thats the problem! So then I have to raise the sliders back up. Pain!

Yea, your right, but guess what? When I fly to some place like a regional airport, there are hardly any AI; thats the problem! So then I have to raise the sliders back up. Pain!

Many regional airports in the US have 3 flights a day, and dozens even lost the last three the last months...

Many regional airports in the US have 3 flights a day, and dozens even lost the last three the last months...

Yes... Your point is? If there is 3 flights a day, and the traffic slider is set at 50% then there will only be 1 flight a day. 3 divided by 2 = 1.5

I'm not sure what it is your trying to tell me here. Is your point: the way FSX handles the amount of AI is fine and has no flaws?

If so, I disagree, and my main point throughout this entire discussion is: the way FSX handles the amount of AI is rather deficient and leaves much to be desired.

Yes... Your point is? If there is 3 flights a day, and the traffic slider is set at 50% then there will only be 1 flight a day. 3 divided by 2 = 1.5

I'm not sure what it is your trying to tell me here. Is your point: the way FSX handles the amount of AI is fine and has no flaws?

If so, I disagree, and my main point throughout this entire discussion is: the way FSX handles the amount of AI is rather deficient and leaves much to be desired.

MyTraffic typically has 20 or more flights into these airports a day, since each of these commuter flights will be repeated by MyTraffic several times a day - so at 50% you still are above reality. But I know that users expect activity within a few minutes at every airport, which is hard to make even with 10 commercial flights a day.

I don't say that the way FSX does this is ideal - but as long as we have FSX we are bound to what ir offers. I explained to you many rounds ago how a future set of schedules might be optimized to have MoN to MoN lights less dependent on the density slider, but you told me this to be no solution.

MyTraffic typically has 20 or more flights into these airports a day, since each of these commuter flights will be repeated by MyTraffic several times a day - so at 50% you still are above reality. But I know that users expect activity within a few minutes at every airport, which is hard to make even with 10 commercial flights a day.

I don't say that the way FSX does this is ideal - but as long as we have FSX we are bound to what ir offers. I explained to you many rounds ago how a future set of schedules might be optimized to have MoN to MoN lights less dependent on the density slider, but you told me this to be no solution.

Thank you for the explanation. You are right about being bound to what FSX offers. However, many boundaries people said were there have been broken with other products so that is why I checked again with this new release. Have a great day.