Topic: What do you NOT use in FSX?

To be honest, replay function is one of the most import "things" in fsx that are useful at least for me. I like to post those fsx videos on private websites such as youtube, replay function helps me to concentrate only on one thing per time; flying and recording.

Hey the part I never use is the built In gamespy, a cool feature would be built in vatsim. Also I've never used the built in weather, I've had to spend quite a bit on things like REX

I never use Crash mode, because of the way it's implemented in FSX.

Say you're just taxiing along, and some pancake of a computer generated airport vehicle scrapes the engine nacelle, guess what - Crash, and the flight restarts - Dang! I think the general Flight Sim community lacks faith in the crash mode - it's my VA's policy to fly with it turned off, as with IVAO and possibly VATSIM - so if crash mode is going to be taken seriously and used in online flying, it needs improvement.

Perhaps the user could easily select what they would want to happen if/when they were to crash - like restart of flight (personally I HATE); or if you're flying online then you get disconnected to avoid disruption; or the flight reloads say 2 minutes before the crash so as to save the hassle of having to go through the entire flight again!

With regards to crashes, would bird strikes be a possibility? It would be a fantastic way to practice emergencies without having to set them yourself, so it could just occur randomly in a realistic way!

Another thing I would like to see implemented is a more sophisticated knee board, so one where you can in flight, simply select any chart in the world you'd like to open. Saves paper from having to print them out, and all good companies are very environmentally conscious!

Something else I don't use or even like - fuel trucks. Good idea, just poorly implemented. It seems after requesting one, you sit at the gate for an eternity, waiting for the truck to arrive, when it's only sitting there 10 meters away, looking like it's lost!

Thanks and good luck saviors of the flight sim community!!!

Natty

Some comments:

Learing center:

When I fly default aircraft I actually use learning center to read about the aircraft. I know the generals, but it's nice to be reminded of the specifics. It's hard to fly a aircraft professionaly if you don't know it's limits. Some think it's fun to try and see ("Crap that runway was to short"), but I like toknow my limits. The annoying thing is FSX is that the info is spread across three places: Flaps speeds are on the kneeboard (good), service ceiling and range are in the info-box when you select the aircraft. Then runway-lenghts and recommended cruise speeds are hidden in Learning Center -> Aircraft Info. I wish important aircraft info was collected in one place! Preferably so you could look it up when flying without pausing the simulation. For addon aircraft it would be nice to have it on the kneeboard. Also info about allowed crosswind for takeoff and landing are nowere to be found. I know I could print this info on paper but it would be a bit old-fashioned smile.gif

Airrcraft failures:

I rather use FSPassengers failure system. Because FSX let's you set a failure within 10 hours. But realistically how long does it go between 1 failure? 100 hours? 1000 hours? FSP let's me set failures so they don't happen on every flight.

Reward system:

It was fun to get a reward for my first landing, but after a few flight I forgot about it. I think rewards belong within a career context. Promotion rank as a pilot and such. It's nice about statistics though: number of different airports landed on and flight hours singel / multi / jet.

What else do I not use in FSX? Well, max out all sliders I never use because my computer can't handle it! Or maybe FSX can't handle it self? Going into New York Area with max sliders gives me out of memory CTD >_< The again FS2004 work great with all sliders, it's a better product I think.

BTW the ease of use thread was closed but, humbly, could we get automatic tuning of ILS when selecting rw for landing? Not having to dig into map view / gps / fmc or airports maps for frequencies would probably make ILS approach accessible to many more people (and would spped it up for me :) )

-Arvid

I wish important aircraft info was collected in one place!

I second that. I'd like to have a POH for each aircraft, with at least the limitations, checklists (normal and emergency), and basic performance and weight&balance charts/tables, and preferably also with a description of the not so obvious systems and instruments.

could we get automatic tuning of ILS when selecting rw for landing?

But only as an option, please.

Judith

• Upvote 1

Hi guys,

I don't use Visual Flight Path (but a looooooong time ago, when I was learing I used maybe 10 times).

One thing that we must realize is that everyone who is writing in this forum is a FS enthusiast.

Mr kok said that he doesn't use learning center. When I bought my first FS (Fs2000) i loved to learn the basics from the FS.

Tutorials are very important to the beginners. Give a PDMG b747 parked at the gate (JFK) with all traffic there to a beginner.

IF HE MANAGED TO START (cold and dark) the engines He will increase thrust and smash in the building. He will repeat this three times and FORGET about it!

He will also say horrible things about the FS to his friends.

I don't use MSFS faillures (prefer of FSPassengers)

I don't use 20.000 airports that are there (but I love to know that I CAN use it!)

I don't use FSinsider (Aces homepage)

I don't use CONTACTS

I don't use flight analysis but because I fly with FS passengers and it is VERY important to "beginners" to Have some feedback about the flight (FSPassengers gives me the feedback).

• Upvote 2

I don't use 20.000 airports that are there

And neither does anyone else, I guess. But most of us probably frequent airports from time to time that no developer would've ever chosen if only a few selected airports were to be included. For that reason alone I think it's quite important that at least a basic rendition of every airport in the official databases is there in the sim.

Judith

• Upvote 2

And neither does anyone else, I guess. But most of us probably frequent airports from time to time that no developer would've ever chosen if only a few selected airports were to be included. For that reason alone I think it's quite important that at least a basic rendition of every airport in the official databases is there in the sim.

Judith

Yes Judith! I agree with you! I remember when I saw FS2000 for the first time saying that It had 14000 airports! I was very impressed. I'm brazilian and I love to fly in my country so it is incredible to fly over a farm and FS has its runway there! But as I suggested in another topic, it would be great if we have airport enhanced services in all airports. FSX have something like that but it is a framerate killer! If AFS2012 won't come with all 20000 airports I will never migrate to this FS.

• 2 weeks later...

There are many planes I don't use (airliners, jet fighters...) and I'd like the ability to turn them off from the UI (while keeping them available for AI/MP etc) Obviously an addon airliner I simply wouldn't buy, but 15 kinds of default Boeings/Airbi? <shudder> I'd rather not have. And others will doubtless say the same about my favourite Moth/Cub etc.

I did use the Learning Centre, but not in many years. It's one of those things that's very useful while you are learning (but now I have a RW PPL and many books on my shelf....) (Oh, and can we have an English English language UI option, as well as American...)

The logbook I do use, although it could be so much better, as with the rewards/trophies scheme. I'm a big fan of Paul's (BASys) Rewards addon, which gives you postcards for different places and countries you visit -- it really appeals to the collector in me, so I'd love to see a similar thing continue in 2012.

• 2 weeks later...

• I never done any of the training flights in FSX.
  • I used the 'learning center' perhaps two time in 4 years.
  • I just found out there is something called Pilot Records with photos and rewards

and I know I am not the only one. For anything inside FSX I have never used and that you can list I will give one free download.

Well... I never use the Record flight (because you can't use it for YouTube or offline players), but it could be great to have some data colletion there could play your flight so you can make a video from different angels, and then save it as a .WMF, .AVI etc.

I newer use the the multiplayer or the Tower (because IVAO and VATSIM is that mutch better...

I newer use the ATC because it's so unreal (unless I go online :-D)..

I never use the Default plane, because they are not "as real at it gets"

I never use the default trafic - You can guess why...

I never use the default weather... ASA/REX II is duing this SO well...

I never use the Ingame hardware Setting - FSUIPC and editing in the setting-files are just that easyer...

I could go on...

Best Regards,

Leif Bramsing

Denmark

One thing that I never used in my VA ( RAFsim ) was G-Force limitation in terms of 'blackout'. The main reason for this is that we used military fast-jets, whereas FS seemed to have G-limitations based on civilian aircraft and pilot with lower tolerances. Perhaps a distinction between the two could be featured to resolve this admittedly minor flaw in the new sim?

I also never used collision / crash detection, for the same reasons as already stated - the merest hint of a mishap and that was it, game-over, not much use when flying on-line. Exceeding the adorementioned G-limit could result in this, again not much use in a military jet.

The default recorder was never used, as I found the freeware FSRecorder much more capable. Lessons / training flights were used only once and very briefly.

Failures in flight were also rarely used, mainly because on-line flying time was limited and so having got airborne, having a failure would be more of a frustration than an opportunity. However, I think that it's a feature that should remain as many people seem to enjoy the possibilities provided by it. :)

One thing that I never used in my VA ( RAFsim ) was G-Force limitation in terms of 'blackout'. The main reason for this is that we used military fast-jets, whereas FS seemed to have G-limitations based on civilian aircraft and pilot with lower tolerances. Perhaps a distinction between the two could be featured to resolve this admittedly minor flaw in the new sim?

That's an interesting point, considering the G loads people black-out at tend to vary considerably. Moreover, the air force guys and gals usually have anti-G suits to compensate these effects to a certain extent. So this should indeed be configurable.

Judith

• 2 weeks later...

• I never done any of the training flights in FSX.
  • I used the 'learning center' perhaps two time in 4 years.
  • I just found out there is something called Pilot Records with photos and rewards

and I know I am not the only one. For anything inside FSX I have never used and that you can list I will give one free download.

Hi Mathis!

I hardly ever use ATC (i use external voice recognition program)!

I would ude it if Voice recognition (VoxATC at the moment) would be fully integrated!

Regards

Alfred

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mathis!

I hardly ever use ATC (i use external voice recognition program)!

I would ude it if Voice recognition (VoxATC at the moment) would be fully integrated!

Regards

Alfred

Fully agree Alfred, I don't even use FsX any more.

Cheers

Chris

Fully agree Alfred, I don't even use FsX any more.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris!

Great to hear from you!

I am keeping a very interested eye on this development! The guys from Aerosoft/Mathjis seem to be very smart & very pen to user input, a great recipe for a potentially great Flightsim. Even though there are big shoes to fill considering the head start MS had for such a long time I feel/hope that this will "plug the holes in these big shoes". I.e: performance , ATC, file structure etc.

Let us hope for the best and kind Regards

Alfred

My biggest gripe with FSX is:

* too much focus on eye-candy and not enough on SIMULATION.

- the flight model is out dated and has serious weaknesses

- bloom - only kills performance, and adds nothing

- AutoGen - the trees are not bad, but in general it is totally unrealistic outside the USA and a frame rate killer

- reflective water - looks like the sea is made of blue tinted aluminium foil

- clouds - not nearly realistic enough

- weather system (see flight model) - apart from wind and pressure, it is a toy. No attempt was made to actually try and simulate it properly including wind shear, turbulence (you can fly through a severe t/storm and it has no effect), etc..

- the engines merely produce thrust, and are not affected by such things as bleed air usage, etc.. though great strides have been made in piston engine modelling in recent times.

If you can focus on the FLIGHT in FLIGHT SIMULATION, and not so much on the eye-candy that it kills the whole thing and affects the realism of FLYING, you'll get my vote.

I suggest looking at DCS:BS for how a sim should be. Extremely realistic from the flying perspective, and enough eye-candy without going mad. Using FSX as a role model is a bad choice, IMHO.

I also wouldn't mind if your sim came on 20 DVDs if that is what it took to get good satellite mapping of the entire earth into the sim. About the only good point of the new earth model in FSX was high res textures, and some stunning photo scenery that sits atop it; forget the limited landclass model - it's out of date and totally useless for real VFR flying.

Best regards,

Robin.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually the eye-candy and the game-type things was what it made FSX outsell FS2004 in number of copies by a large number.

You have to put both or it wont sell. Especially in places like USA where the game consoles outrun PCs for gaming.

Regards

i have never used

2D panels- well only on the wilco 737, because the vc sucked so bad :P but the panel was gorgeous

the general settings slider for traffic, aircraft, scenery, weather.

top down orientation

kiosk mode

fuel truck

flight lessons- the 'realistic' ones. there impossible to complete because of the bugs

window titles

axis indicator

top down selections

hidden feature in fsx, for those who THINK they have all the rewards :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qypXLvQMuBI

Some of the things I don't use in FSX:

• Pilot Lessons
  • Learning Center
  • Failures (use FS Pasengers, so failures are managed by that)
  • Missions (used to complete missions, but logbook got corrupted often, so gave up on that)
  • Top-Down View
  • Virtual Cockpit View
  • Spot View (not Locked Spot)
  • Jetway (unless FS2012 jetways aren't frame-rate intensive)
  • Fueling truck (I just refuel from the menu option)
  • Custom weather (I use real-world weather)
  • Multiplayer
  • Load/save flights

I never used the Trainingcenter, Pilotrecords and Startpage.

But I´d like to have the Replay for the Youtube Videos relly Youtube without FS Videos not for me. The Missions are pretty funny so maybe Aerosoft can´t do some also in the new FS and please work hard that all the addons from the FSX are working in the newone or maybe the normal Airports are better than the addons ??????????????????????????????????????????? How knows that

• Upvote 1