Topic: What do you NOT use in FSX?

I don't know why people don't like Missions. I take flightsimming as seriously as it can be taken (beeing my biggest hobby) and I can tell you that I have great fun both playing and designing missions. I also like the rewards feature.

A mission well designed can be as big a challenge as a real life flight is. It can teach you many things you thought you knew well and show you how much you still have left to learn. It can be used also as a distraction or simply to tell a story. Anyway it is a great feature which can be ignored by those who despise it but that brings another dimension in flightsimming to those who enjoy it.

I also find the Learning Center very useful for people who are new to our hobby. Think that not everyone buying a Flightsim is a veteran so let them have some fun and time for learning before they get hardcore. Some people seem to believe they were brought to life already knowing how to fly.

What I don't use in FSX is:

- Stock airliners (GA are OK for starters)

- Default logbook (It's not comfortable to read)

- Default failures system (good intentions but not well done)

I really like FSX. I don't find so many horrible things in it. It could be better, but definitely it's OK.

One thing I want to say: If I had to choose between real aircraft systems and perfect flight envelope I'd always choose the systems. I want to be able to perform all the real life procedures and calculations. I don't give so much importance to the extremely real flight envelope because through a joystick (as good as it might be) your are never going to have the real feeling. So give me a reasonable flight envelope and put all your efforts in designing a true to life systems management.

Of course other people may think differently, but that's my option.

Thank you for reading me.

• Upvote 1

I have to say that I really like FSX. I don't know why so many people hate it.

If you like, here is the answer: At many corners of the FSX "simulation" you are guided through a total unrealistic world. Not because there are limited computer ressources, but because the designers of the product ignored real life (Was it really "too much costs" to sit down and use brain?). As a very painful example I want to mention the desaster on major airports, where one or more runways are used for take off only (like the 18 at EDDF) wich is simply impossible to run on FSX, especially regarding AI planes. Hey, these are basics ! A company like Aerosoft is SO SMALL compared to Microsoft, but Aerosoft does a job that is almost perfect ! Hard to believe, that "Big M" was unable to eliminate such huge algorythm-errors throughout the different versions of their Flightsim.

That ruined my enjoyment of a wonderful hobby. Therefore I seldom use FSX at all. Hopefully the Aerosoft Flightsim will become reality :D

• Upvote 1

Well, I know there are problems not only with FSX but with all its previous releases. I still think that the FS franchise is GREAT though.

There were mistakes, there were bad decisions taken and while we were all complaining about them, those programs gave us the chance to fly and enjoy our hobby in a way no other program was able at the moment. And the fact that we still use them today is the proof of that there was something good in them. I still fly FS9 along with FSX.

Anyway I also hope Aerosoft makes something even better. It'll be good both for them and for me. If it's as good as everybody says it's going to be I'll buy it for sure. ;)

I think I'll stop talking about that in this thread. Sorry for the Off-Topic.

• 1 month later...

What I don't use:

-Awards system

-Logbook

-Flight school/ lessons

-Missions

-Ground school (I don't use it since I don't need it, but actually it's pretty good especially explaning the basic, ADF navigation for example!)

-AI in any form (ships, car traffic, planes except AES/AESlite)

-replay function (if included it should be switcheable on/off to save ressources)

-video recording

-built-in ATC (far too unrealistic and basic)

-built-in GPS (also far too basic, database absolutely outdated and therefore unusable)

-Kiosk mode

-stock planes (really none of them expect the starting flight with the C172 c&d) Even the GA planes are far from realistic.

-multiplayer mode (on the multiplayer servers, I'm using it only for tower view via IVAP/IVAi when doing ATC)

-realistic weather (due to IVAN weather)

-failure system (as said- good idea badly done- take A2A's Accusim as THE reference how it should be done!!)

• 4 weeks later...

1: I dont use the learning center

2: I dont use the custom weather

3: I dont use the replay option

4: I dont use the kiosk

5: I never used the failures

6: Dont use "help" either

7: Home

8: Missions

+1

Bob