Discus BM Self-Launch

VulcanB2

Hi,

I'm trying to self-launch out of Aspen, but it seems the engine lacks the power to do so?

Is trying to self-launch from 7000 ft asking too much of this aircraft?

Best regards,

Robin.

Sorry, but I can't understand it.

I am perfectly able to do a selflaunch out of aspen. Even full of wather.

It just needs some time and the climbs are similar to the turboversion.

But it is possible.

Cheers, Joachim

@Peter: to whom were you talking?

I can start the engine on the ground, and the RPM comes up to 5000 or so RPM but it just doesn't want to accelerate???

Please note I'm talking about Aspen with the grass runway, not Aspen-Pitkin County. :)

I didn't know there was a turbo model in the sim. Which model is that?

Best regards,

Robin.

Turbo is the weaker one, and you can't start it up on the ground

and yes, I made the test on the gras runway in the mountains, too, and I can take off there. It is all but secure and you mustn't use water ballast but it works.

Joachim

Hi,

OK - there are three models - B, BT and the BM.

I thought the BM was the only model capable of self-launch, and you can only use the engine of the BT for flight between thermals.

I was trying to use the BM.

Best regards,

Robin.

I thought the BM was the only model capable of self-launch, and you can only use the engine of the BT for flight between thermals.

And you was right.

The turbo (BT) can't do a take off.

ok, this is not totally right, a few weird people do this in reallife, but it is not approved and under normal condotions not possible.

They start the engine with a rope then.

- As I said. -weird...

And you was right.

The turbo (BT) can't do a take off.

ok, this is not totally right, a few weird people do this in reallife, but it is not approved and under normal condotions not possible.

They start the engine with a rope then.

- As I said. -weird...

Saying that I have managed two successful self luanch's with the BM out of 6 depending on which runway you use. Practice and more practice by the looks of things :D

Looks that way! :D

A bit slow to accelerate, but it gets there eventually.

If you try it at Aspen "the other one" it doesn't seem to want to know. THanks for the tip about ballast though - I suspect that may be the reason. Aiming for the side of the cliff might have helped a little though!! :lol:

Best regards,

Robin.

Looks that way! :D

A bit slow to accelerate, but it gets there eventually.

If you try it at Aspen "the other one" it doesn't seem to want to know. THanks for the tip about ballast though - I suspect that may be the reason. Aiming for the side of the cliff might have helped a little though!! :lol:

Best regards,

Robin.

At KASE even with the 74lb's overwieght issue you can get off the ground no problem. At CO03 is where you will have the trouble. Unload the ballast and use real time weather. Yesterday I had a couple of good launches and ridge lift was at 20 to 34kn, just make sure you don't try and launch into the trees and hillside :D

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@Peter: to whom were you talking?

I can start the engine on the ground, and the RPM comes up to 5000 or so RPM but it just doesn't want to accelerate???

Please note I'm talking about Aspen with the grass runway, not Aspen-Pitkin County. :)

I didn't know there was a turbo model in the sim. Which model is that?

Best regards,

Robin.

Well I can't even get ether engines started. I think the Static Port Switch and Flight Pressure Nozzle are playing hide and seek with me.

@dogbigxyz

please don't use old topics for new questions without any coherence to the topic.

The static pressure port switch has nothing to do with the engine startup. It only controls the vario reading. Please read the manual for a startup checklist.

Best regards Joachim