Stall characteristics

charlest

Hi folks,

Have been enjoying the Discus. Lovely.

Have a question though about the stall characteristics. Now this may be my lack of experience since I am not yet cleared on our real world club Discus gliders.

Originally I was thinking there was a problem because I could not recover from a stall with the gear down.

Then I read on the forum that it loads into FSX with full ballast. So I emptied those and then I could recover ok.

So the question is:

Do I assume correctly that if I am at full ballast with the gear down, I am not going to recover from a stall? I found I could not recover from 3500feet.

Love the aircraft, and I am glad you posted the less-reflections patch since I did find them a bit bright.

All the best

Charles

The gear should have nothing to do with stall recovers.

The drag it produces is to small to influence the spin.

But the ballast does.

In real life spins are generally forbidden if you are full of water. The mass inertia of the full wings is to big and it can be impossible to stop the autorotation.

Bun normally even that should be recoverable in fsx.

I bet you make the misstake to try recovering with the ailerons. Neutralize the ailerons or even put the stick SLIGHTLY INTO the spin direction. You should be able to recover now.

Remeber:

Right spin, LEFT RUDDER, Stick NEUTRAL

Left spin, RIGHT RUDDER, stick NEUTRAL

Please report, how it works

Joachim

The gear should have nothing to do with stall recovers.

The drag it produces is to small to influence the spin.

But the ballast does.

In real life spins are generally forbidden if you are full of water. The mass inertia of the full wings is to big and it can be impossible to stop the autorotation.

Bun normally even that should be recoverable in fsx.

I bet you make the misstake to try recovering with the ailerons. Neutralize the ailerons or even put the stick SLIGHTLY INTO the spin direction. You should be able to recover now.

Hi Joachim,

Thanks for the reply. No I am not spinning, just stalling.

I am doing standard recoveries, i.e. no aileron use at all, just stick forward.

I am not getting any wing drop so no need to use rudder to pick up the wing.

It just goes into a totally unrecoverable stall. No wing drop, falling to the ground without being able to recover, even if the stick is fully forward.

I will double check some of these characteristics later today after work, as well as supplying the glider version. (Purchased about 3 weeks ago)

Thanks

Charles

PS: I do understand about spin recovery, as I am areal world motorglider UK NPPL holder. :D

I was just a bit dumb in posting to the wrong forum late last night :blush:.

...as I am areal world motorglider UK NPPL holder.

what ever a NPPL is... national PPL?

In germany it is a PPL-N with TMG rating

I fly motorgliders as well.

But with PPL-C and TMG rating

OK, so you know about flying, great :-) I didn't notice, that you are not on a spin, because you've written, it is unrecoverable.

There "is" a behaviour in FSX, as you describe it. We tried to eliminate it completely, but unter very odd circumstances it is possible to fall into this "we called it "stone fall"". But normally you shouldn't see them.

Please check you realism settings. They should be full max.

what ever a NPPL is... national PPL?

In germany it is a PPL-N with TMG rating

I fly motorgliders as well.

But with PPL-C and TMG rating

Yes NPPL is a 'reduced' PPL for UK only, although with EASA it may get harmonised.

Medical requirements are less.

There "is" a behaviour in FSX, as you describe it. We tried to eliminate it completely, but unter very odd circumstances it is possible to fall into this "we called it "stone fall"". But normally you shouldn't see them.

Please check you realism settings. They should be full max.

This sounds exactly like the issue. Will check the settings and get back to you later.

Thanks for the help so far.

Charles

I have experienced this , sometimes in a very deep stall FSX can "lock you out" and the glider refuses all control inputs , pressing "Y" twice restores control and enables a normal recovery .

wrong,

pressing y twice IS the recover actually.

and it IS possible to recover, it needs only to much time. Far to much time, I know. But normally you shouldn't be able to get into this deep stall.

I ensure, that we did our best to make it as less happening as possible.

There is a VERY small point where both (spinning and deep stall) is acceptable. This is the way it goes, it is FSX...

Cheers Joachim

Hi,

I've found FSX goes very weird if you try and do a loop but don't initially pull hard enough. The aircraft ends up with zero airspeed and starts to fall tail first, or inverted. FSX can't handle this and the aircraft tumbles extremely rapidly.

Best regards,

Robin.

wrong,

pressing y twice IS the recover actually.

and it IS possible to recover, it needs only to much time. Far to much time, I know. But normally you shouldn't be able to get into this deep stall.

I ensure, that we did our best to make it as less happening as possible.

There is a VERY small point where both (spinning and deep stall) is acceptable. This is the way it goes, it is FSX...

Cheers Joachim

I can concur with Wingman5 on this but, at what frame rate do you both see this. Mine is under 10fps and without the yy hit, your a dart into the grass.

Having tested this further. I did not have the "General" realism setting set to max.

Changing it to max makes a big difference. It is much more prone to a wing drop in the stall.

But it is much easier to recover.

So there you go. Set the realism correctly by the looks of things.

Thanks for the help

Charles:DB)