Current Status

• Aerosoft

Can you please explain more how the DX11 makes a difference for sims?

Different subject.

If it is possible the sim should be designed so it is easy to port to a raytraycing game engine in the future.

Just a few interresting links:

http://www.pcper.com...cle.php?aid=455

http://blogs.intel.c...g_the_end_o.php

http://scarydevil.co...terization.html

Reco

Going into a large discussion on DX11 goes to far for this forum (if only because I hardly understand it myself), but there are many pages on the Internet that got good information. For sims the tesselation is by far the most important bit as it allows a much higher degree of details without raising the CPU demand. At the same time we will be able to send CPU tasks to the GPU (that is hundreds of times faster for some things) when needed. So all in all it means that with a good CPU and a good GPU you will be much faster and more flexible.

We do not see a lot of advantages in raytracing. I have been hearing it is about to break through for almost 15 years now, but still have not seen a lot in real time.

Just out of interest would you be looking at doing something like MS ESP as well as a flight simulator for consumers? I bet there is still a large market for a commecrial based desktop PC simulator for flight schools etc.

Rhydian

Will the knew sim support multi core CPU? if so how many, the Intel I9's will go to 6 cores I think? also will we see multi GPU support with SLI or Crossfire, will the new sim support current hardware controllers ... I'm guessing not anything that rely's on Simconnect though?

Finally, will the sim have multiplay of any kind.

Sorry for so many questions, I've got more but that's enough for now :)

Thanks.

• Aerosoft

Just out of interest would you be looking at doing something like MS ESP as well as a flight simulator for consumers? I bet there is still a large market for a commecrial based desktop PC simulator for flight schools etc.

Rhydian

100% yes. And a lot more reliable then Microsoft did it. You got no idea how pissed off major companies where when MS dropped ESP.

The new sim is intended to run standard scenery databases in OpenFlight in the version I will now christen Aerosoft Flight Simulator 2012 Professional. (it is so cool to give names to projects!)

Hello Mathijs

I think it's great news regarding AFS2012 :rolleyes: really looking forward to it.

Have some questions:

1. Will it be possible to use SLI (duel graphic cards) ?

2. Which airplanes will be "standard" in AFS12?

3. Will you cooperate with other software partners like you do to day? regarding airports etc.

100% yes. And a lot more reliable then Microsoft did it. You got no idea how ######ed off major companies where when MS dropped ESP.

The new sim is intended to run standard scenery databases in OpenFlight in the version I will now christen Aerosoft Flight Simulator 2012 Professional. (it is so cool to give names to projects!)

Fantastic news Mathijs! When these companies got dumped by MS we wern't talking small companies either. Northrop Grumman was one of them and I bet they were not best pleased. AFS2012Pro will hopefully regain trust with such high profile companies.

Rhydian

• Aerosoft

Will the knew sim support multi core CPU? if so how many, the Intel I9's will go to 6 cores I think? also will we see multi GPU support with SLI or Crossfire, will the new sim support current hardware controllers ... I'm guessing not anything that rely's on Simconnect though?

Finally, will the sim have multiplay of any kind.

Sorry for so many questions, I've got more but that's enough for now :)

Thanks.

The new sim will make use of any CPU core you got and will even have the GPU assist the CPU where it can using the DX11 standards. One of the major goals of our projects is to get rid of ANY legacy issue. A total clean braek. Professional developers using modern software will be able to recompile their files for the new sim very easy though. So if you got a 12 core PC, it will use it. If you got a 4 GPU double SLI system, it will use it. We just take what Windows tells us is available, we will NOT talk to any hardware directly.

Simconnect is MS standard so we can't use it. But if we document things well that should not be an issue. In fact I honestly think all major external products that need FSUIPC or SimConnect will be available in a few weeks after the first beta. That's all easy stuff.

Multiplayer mode? Sure! We need it.

• Aerosoft

Hello Mathijs

I think it's great news regarding AFS2012 :rolleyes: really looking forward to it.

Have some questions:

1. Will it be possible to use SLI (duel graphic cards) ?

2. Which airplanes will be "standard" in AFS12?

3. Will you cooperate with other software partners like you do to day? regarding airports etc.

1. Yes. If Windows knows about the hardware we'll use it (and a dammed lot better then FSX does).

2. Not decided, but to see if the engine works we'll need to have some of each from helicopters, via ultralights to 380's.

3. We'll listen to all, talk to most of them. AFS2012 is not a program, it's a platform. Without PMDG, Carenado, Limesim and all the others it means nothing. It's our sim, but it is not our platform. We seriously intend to make this a more open platfor, then MS did. See, in the end Aerosoft can NOT make a new sim, we need all our competitors, all our friends, all our customers and even all the people who do not like us to help us. Most know that in 2012 there will not be much of a FSX addon market left. ALL know that in 2012 there will not be an FSX market left.

Mathijs, Glad to hear the project is progressing, I really hope you guys make it easy to mod in the sim since that's what keeps a lot of games running for many years, the only thing I can think of is that I hope you guys make sure the engine is very flexible and even go as far as deign it with old hardware as of course the new hardware will run it better.

There are some online massive multiplayer games out there that just take to much to run and are not successful then you have some games that are well coded look wonderful and work on older hardware fine and are doing very well. but I honestly really think that if the engine is good and efficient the more customers you will have, most people cant afford new hardware escpeely in times like these I refuse to believe that we cant have some nice eye candy without performance going down I wish aerosoft the best with the project and I really hope this will be the best flightsim we have seen. :)

Hi Mathijs!

What about the Graphics engine? Are you gonna create a new one?

Can we also expect Combat Planes where you can fire missiles and throw bombs??? If not, are you going to implement sth. so that add on makers will be possible to create for instance missions where you can do that?

Hi Mathijs!

What about the Graphics engine? Are you gonna create a new one?

Can we also expect Combat Planes where you can fire missiles and throw bombs??? If not, are you going to implement sth. so that add on makers will be possible to create for instance missions where you can do that?

Good idea ;)

Please don't waste time trying to surpass existing implementations regarding ATC or weather. Make AFS2012 a modular, easy-extensible platform with a sophisticated graphics engine. If this means DX11 on Windows 7, so be it.

If you want a high-end ATC, stick to online flights or purchase Radar Contact 2012.

If you want a high-end weather engine, purchase Active Sky Advanced 2012.

Yes yes yes!

Please Aerosoft don't waste your time and money trying to do complex ATC or weather engines, these are best left to 3rd parties.

IMHO you need to concentrate on building the core "platform" and a powerful API (like MS did with SimConnect) which will enable 3rd parties to enhance your platform.

I know OpenGL made advances over the last few years (months actually), but we are going for the much larger and more stable platform and will be using DX11. For all the same reasons as many games developers are making the same decision.

If you would say because we don't want any extra work ok, but saying DX to be more stable is silly. Myself I'll be more than happy to ditch Vista as soon as possible. Look here at my current problem:

http://www.vistax64.com/software/250300-net-framework.html

Activison didn't support Linux/Mac with Wolfenstein 2 because of the extra work. Even though the game engine they used would have made such possible. But such approach also shows in the game. Even with the newer engine, the game is less fun than Wolfenstein.

100% yes. And a lot more reliable then Microsoft did it. You got no idea how ######ed off major companies where when MS dropped ESP.

I am really looking forward to this. When Microsoft offered the ESP version, I really thought about using it, but soon figured that it offered almost no other functionality or support than FSX. A buddy of mine had the chance to evalute ESP and was dissappointed as well. So I didn't really trust it and my feeling proved to be right.

As an aerospace engineer, working in the field of flight simulation and also having a strong interest in developing realistic PC simulations, I am really looking for a stable, well documented platform, which is not hiding any secrets and which is supporting the latest development tools. So all my hopes are for AFS2012 Professional.

I hope it will support the latest versions of 3ds Max, like 2010!??

-Pete

I'd also like to see a career mode with a better log book system than FS, also love the missions and would like to see this in AFS2012, Microsoft cant claim the interactive missions were their idea, it was done just as well in the Flight Unlimited series. Please Please keep the missions.

On the physics side of the sim, what kind of compatibility will original Aerosoft add-ons for FSX have in the new sim? could they be re-compiled to work in AFS2012?

Can we have proper sloping runways, this is something MS sims have always denied us.

Thanks.

May I just ask a question with regards to the use of the term "Flight Simulator" which is a registered trademark in the USA (rights currently licensed by MS) but there is no such registration which I can find with the EU. Does this mean that Aerosoft can or cannot call their new sim "Aerosoft Flight Simulator 2012" if they so wished?

• Aerosoft

May I just ask a question with regards to the use of the term "Flight Simulator" which is a registered trademark in the USA (rights currently licensed by MS) but there is no such registration which I can find with the EU. Does this mean that Aerosoft can or cannot call their new sim "Aerosoft Flight Simulator 2012" if they so wished?

That's an issue we'll deal with later. If you do not USE a trademark you can loose it rather easy, but we got to assume MS got a rather good legal department. For now AFS2012 is a working title.

• Aerosoft

I am really looking forward to this. When Microsoft offered the ESP version, I really thought about using it, but soon figured that it offered almost no other functionality or support than FSX. A buddy of mine had the chance to evalute ESP and was dissappointed as well. So I didn't really trust it and my feeling proved to be right.

As an aerospace engineer, working in the field of flight simulation and also having a strong interest in developing realistic PC simulations, I am really looking for a stable, well documented platform, which is not hiding any secrets and which is supporting the latest development tools. So all my hopes are for AFS2012 Professional.

I hope it will support the latest versions of 3ds Max, like 2010!??

-Pete

Pete, we will only use the latest versions of all tools at this moment. In all aspects we want this project to be ready for the future so we got no choice but to use the most modern stuff. We fully understand this will make problems for amateurs etc but there is just no way around that if we want to a serious project. If you think you got any knowledge I can tap into send me a mail on support@aerosoft.com.

Mathijs, can you comment on the 'approach' that Aerosoft is going to take in regards to the realism/physical side of the simulator, in regards to flight dynamics etc.? I, for one, would much rather see the foundations of the simulator done fantastically, physics engine, with only a single, very well done, aircraft; making it an excellent platform to for third-party developers, as well as Aerosoft, to expand upon.

Congrats Mathijs on this awesome endeavor. May this become an extremely powerful, successful Sim and franchise.

I would like to ask one thing if I may be so bold. Could you make a version of your Sim to run on Mac OSX (please). This would mean using no DirectX (for the Mac version at least).

Some have said that DirectX was one of the 'crutches' in FS. (That might start a furball). But... It is a well known fact that many top of the line games run with OpenGL as their animation software platform and it has been noted to run more faster and more efficiently then DX. For some reason, putting DX in MacOSX is near impossible and causes the computer to run poorly (in Mac mode). If the Sim (AFS2012) were in OGL, then you would have the ability to open your market to the Apple world (and it is a very huge market) and you would thus have 2 sectors of OS platforms to sell your Sim to.

Just a humble bit of advice.

If I can be of any help on this endeavor, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Bill

LHC