Current Status

I've been wondering about this. I think this would be a great feature. But since my knowledge of software development is pretty much zero, I don't know if it would be possible or not. Does anyone know how hard it would be to implement this? I'm very curious. I'd love to be able to take off from my hometown airport and hear pilots speaking with the accent of the Southern USA, and hear a German accent in Germany, etc.

why don't you get radar contact then?

http://www.jdtllc.com/

Hello Mathijs..

one clear question: Is there any connections about AFS2012 and Cascade Game Foundry?

brds

Martin

I was thinking the same.

Reco

Hello Mathijs..

one clear question: Is there any connections about AFS2012 and Cascade Game Foundry?

brds

Martin

I suspect not, but whether the two teams collaborate or compete it can only be good news for sim fans.

Even if they develop two separate simulations, it would be great if they could collaborate on things like developer APIs, network protocols etc. so that third party devs can easily develop add-ons for both platforms.

Colin

• Aerosoft

I suspect not, but whether the two teams collaborate or compete it can only be good news for sim fans.

Even if they develop two separate simulations, it would be great if they could collaborate on things like developer APIs, network protocols etc. so that third party devs can easily develop add-ons for both platforms.

Colin

No connection... as far as we know the new company might not even go into flight sims (keep in mind they worked more on Trainsims when it was disbanded), right now it is only a website. To be brutally honest we are more or less staying away from the old ACES ideas as much as possible at this moment as we got our own ideas and we only want customers input at this moment. We are not at all worried about standards. We are using only very 'standard' standards. From ISO (for example for time/dates) to textures.

• Aerosoft

Sorry for the loss of communication for a week or so btw. We wanted to draw back a bit to solve a few things internally. What we share, what we keep internally etc.

As you will see normal communication has been resumed, lol.

Sorry for the loss of communication for a week or so btw. We wanted to draw back a bit to solve a few things internally. What we share, what we keep internally etc.

As you will see normal communication has been resumed, lol.

Hi Mathijs - Welcome back! Enjoyed your vacation? LOL.

There have been numerous posts regarding cloud shadows on terrain and the like. I for one have believed that computer based flight sims lacked the appearance of atmospheric effects on lighting. wind, heat, dust, pollution etc. Please have a look at this link: http://windwardmark.net/downloads.php?page=screenshots

Application - "Windlight is designed to run on OpenGl and Direct 3D applications."

Immersion - "WindLight aims to address that by taking into account the physics of ambient light in the outdoors and impact clouds, sun, air moisture levels and other factors have on how the human eye perceives an outdoor image."

Judging by the few detailed airport snippets you presented when you mysteriously posted about a "special project" you were considering a highly detailed and immersive sim. I felt that it would be incredible to add something like the Winwardmark product or a derivative of your own.

clouds1.jpg

clouds17_wide.jpg

urban41.jpg

urban5.jpg

Best regards,

Robert Halmich

• Upvote 1

No connection... as far as we know the new company might not even go into flight sims (keep in mind they worked more on Trainsims when it was disbanded), right now it is only a website. To be brutally honest we are more or less staying away from the old ACES ideas as much as possible at this moment as we got our own ideas and we only want customers input at this moment. We are not at all worried about standards. We are using only very 'standard' standards. From ISO (for example for time/dates) to textures.

I`m really happy with that :) stay away from Aces and built new, fresh, and modern flight simulator platform,

brds

Martin

• Aerosoft

Hi Mathijs - Welcome back! Enjoyed your vacation? LOL.

There have been numerous posts regarding cloud shadows on terrain and the like. I for one have believed that computer based flight sims lacked the appearance of atmospheric effects on lighting. wind, heat, dust, pollution etc. Please have a look at this link: http://windwardmark....age=screenshots

Vacation? You must be kidding, I don't do that stuff. I get stressed like a turkey end of November when I am not working.

Fully agreed on your comments but you are asking for the moon. Programs like those of Windmark do offline renders, not real time game renders. I am sure we can make a huge leap over what FSX does (after all it is outdated by now and was based on outdated code). But not like that. Just look at modern games (like Crises for example) and you get an idea of what's possible at this moment.

• Aerosoft

Actually it's not true. Windmark is a middleware for realtime engines.

http://windwardmark....nology&subsub=5

Indeed. I stand corrected and will contact them to see if they are working on DX11 (I understand they were not willing to go DX10).

• Upvote 1

Vacation? You must be kidding, I don't do that stuff. I get stressed like a turkey end of November when I am not working.

Fully agreed on your comments but you are asking for the moon. Programs like those of Windmark do offline renders, not real time game renders. I am sure we can make a huge leap over what FSX does (after all it is outdated by now and was based on outdated code). But not like that. Just look at modern games (like Crises for example) and you get an idea of what's possible at this moment.

A flightsim with the same quality as Crysis would have been amazing. I am not talking of the level of details, which I understand is not possible on a global basis. But If we can have a flightsim with a good contrast ratio, higher texture resolution, good looking shadows, voxel objects (clouds), photorealistic water shaders and real time global illumination lighting. Well, I don't what to say. Please take a look.

Reco

• Upvote 1

Indeed. I stand corrected and will contact them to see if they are working on DX11 (I understand they were not willing to go DX10).

That would be fantastic, Mr. Kok! WindLight makes it feel like there really is an atmosphere (something MSFS failed to do), and Nimble would give you 3d clouds right off the bat! Please let us know how that works out.

• Upvote 1

This is one of the MAIN reasons why I have high hopes for this project.

P.S. I am not referring to the interesting subject.

By the way, check out the following also as I found it promising:

http://realenvironmentxtreme.com/forum/index.php?topic=4769.0

I would like to suggest the following if I may:

KISS (Keep it simple and stupid). What I propose is that you leave out the excess stuff like the learning section, and maybe have one aircraft and a couple of "decent" airports. That way, people can choose from what I hope will be a massive amount of freeware and payware. Have settings simplified (Min. Med. Max.)for as many sections as would be possible.

I suggest this as I for one have never used the learning section. I am sure others may want it, but it could be a free or payware add-on just like fsx and adventures.

Thanks.

leave out the excess stuff like the learning section

I tend to agree - there is so much good learning material out there, both flight sim specific and for real pilots. However, that would probably mean losing most of the casual gamers market. Those who want to just hop into an F16 and do a few loops around the Golden Gate bridge need at least some kind of basic tutorial to get them started (i.e. push to make the houses bigger kind of things). The more advanced learning stuff, like a full-fledged interactive flight school for the more serious novices, could be left to an add-on. Humorist-turned-instructor included, of course. ;) On the other hand, maybe Jeppesen, the King Schools, Sporty's, or someone else would like to come on board with a couple of sponsored learning videos in return for prominent advertising space.

Judith

I tend to agree - there is so much good learning material out there, both flight sim specific and for real pilots.

I completly disagree!

Yes, "there is so much learning materieal out there", especially if you download it illegaly. If you wan't legal stuff and legal training, you're gotta be a sultan or something to buy it all.

Flight training, introduced with MSFS is the best practice for newbie pilots, no matter how you, "pros" feel about it.

Allow the other to learn and practice at least as you did in the past.Excluding such a material is going to draw the simulator kinda repulsive, which I don't think Aerosoft can afford.

Best regards and NHF

I completely disagree!

Yes, "there is so much learning material out there", especially if you download it illegaly. If you want legal stuff and legal training, you've gotta be a sultan or something to buy it all.

Flight training, introduced with MSFS is the best practice for newbie pilots, no matter how you "pros" feel about it.

Allow the other to learn and practice at least as you did in the past. Excluding such a material is going to draw the simulator kinda repulsive, which I don't think Aerosoft can afford.

Best regards and NHF

I wholeheartedly agree. If it weren't for the stock training, I'd have given up trying to fly long ago. Besides, though there may be a lot of learning material out there, most of the more casual simmers don't want to spend (or don't have) the time to go searching high and low for good free training -- they need it right there. Without that, Aerosoft would, I believe, lose a large chunk of the simmers out there today. For example: I'm an eleventh-grader, and as of next month I will be working on eight or nine subjects per day. :unsure: Like many others (in H.S. and college), I don't have time to look for things like that.

Besides, just because you don't need the training doesn't mean they shouldn't include it. Sure, it may take a little longer, but have a little patience -- it's at least two years away (if it happens). B)

Mr. Kok: Please include some training at least as good as that in MSFS. If you do, please make the Instrument Rating Checkride a little more forgiving -- that would make my day year.

Best Regards, Patrick O.

I completly disagree!

Yes, "there is so much learning materieal out there", especially if you download it illegaly. If you wan't legal stuff and legal training, you're gotta be a sultan or something to buy it all.

Flight training, introduced with MSFS is the best practice for newbie pilots, no matter how you, "pros" feel about it.

Allow the other to learn and practice at least as you did in the past.Excluding such a material is going to draw the simulator kinda repulsive, which I don't think Aerosoft can afford.

Best regards and NHF

I'm with you as well, if it hadn't been for the lessons included in MSFS I'd have got bored of it within days. Not just the basic flying stuff (most of which I knew from my days as a glider pilot) but also the things like navigation, ILS etc. that can make it endlessly interesting. Having got bored quickly I then wouldn't have gone on to buy upgrades, addons, etc.

Having said that it's a whole chunk of extra work so I'll understand if Aerosoft decide not to put in in version 1.0.

Colin

[...] especially if you download it illegaly.

Excuse me?

If you wan't legal stuff and legal training, you're gotta be a sultan or something to buy it all.

Gee, if you go to your local book store, or library even, you will surely find quite a lot of great books for a very reasonable price. Sure, if you want to buy everything, you'll have to spend a fortune, but that can be said about most anything. Oh, and for your information, when I started to play around with Microsoft Flight Simulator, there was no such thing as interactive lessons.

I have to put another vote in for flight training. Anyone who is harkening back to the very early days of MSFS is also talking about times when the simulation was probably also a bit simpler. With all the complex airplanes out there and all the complexities of navigation, etc., a beginner can quickly get overwhelmed and then just not end up spending much time with the simulator. There are good training books and software available for sure, but the beginner for the most part will not even be aware that such things exist. I know I was not aware of the add-on market at all when I first got MSFS 9. I do not know why some people continually seek to create barriers to entry for flight simulation. There is also something to be said for training software that is integrated with the main simulator. It can make the whole process of learning more seamless and intuitive.

Walter

And actually, to maybe belabor the point just a little, the importance of very simple and accessible flight training is probably much greater than many people here realize. Some time ago I got into a conversation with a woman, and told her I had this interest in the Microsoft Flight Simulator, but it was hard to find time for it, and I hadn't gotten that good at it. She said that the same was true of her husband, exact same thing with him. Which makes me think: if one were to survey all the people who had purchased MSFS and asked them how many had actually stuck with it and learned to fly well, what would be the answer? Maybe 50% of the people? Maybe 25%? Maybe 12%? Maybe less? And if you were to ask them what was the number one reason they hadn't continued to pursue it, what would be the answer? I'm guessing it would have something to do with finding the time to learn to fly well (let alone taking the time and energy to find all the 3rd party contributions). So you see that there is probably an enormous untapped market of people who actually want to participate with the flight simulator, probably much greater in number than the people who are knowledgeable and can fly well, who just need a simpler route to learning to fly - and fly what they want to fly. When I saw ads for the Super 80 Pro with an integrated cockpit training system, I quickly thought, "Finally! Someone is actually coming out with something that is easier to learn!" And why should it be more difficult to learn to fly a flight simulator than it is to learn to fly a real airplane? Real airplane instruction comes with real human trainers who can point their fingers at the dials and tell you what they are and how they work. And who can answer your questions when you don't follow what they just said. I can distinctly remember going through the flight training on MSFS and thinking, "What? Which dial? Will you just point to me what you are talking about? Can you tell me again? Wait! Stop! Go back!!!" Why do I have a sneaky feeling I am far from being the only person who has ever experienced this?

Walter, speaking for the little guy.

• Upvote 1

I agree wholeheartedly - no built in training will be a HUGE and likely FATAL mistake. We (those who have been simming for a while) take it for granted just how complex this hobby is and not giving newcomers a helping hand will be incredibly short sighted. As mentioned something along the lines of an integrated cockpit training system or at the very least a set of well written tutorials is an absolute must.

• Upvote 1