*Free* addon glider mission for the Discus B

B21

1:57:04

As this is my first time, I am very proud of it! I'm not proud that I cheated by opening a window with external, top-down view at cloud level for a sort of "thermal radar." This is a good crutch for a noob!

I would happily pay a few bucks to Aerosoft for a collection of missions as well done as this one. So much fun! This is the perfect cure for FSX burnout.

1:57:04

hey that's a very respectable time... there are people who have flown many missions in the sim who haven't flown much faster.

The 'top-down-view' trick with CumulusX is a common one and I *could* detect the view change and write that into the sim_logger IGC logfile of the flight so people would know your sneaky ways but on balance I think it is a reasonable compensation for the fact that the view through the monitor is so much more limited that the real view out of a real glider cockpit making spotting thermals harder than in real life.

well done...

There are other missions available, e.g. look in this SOAR forum hosted by Aerosoft

B21

• 2 months later...

Hello fellow Pilots!

Just bought the wonderfull Discus and gave this task a try.

I´m new to FSX soaring (just have a few RL training hours) so I think I can be Proud of my Time. It´s something bout 1:58 I think. Screenshot wasn´t working. I there a chance to read it from the IGC file?

One question: I´m german and my winter altimeter´s bitmap shows Height in KM. But in this task it seemed like the needles showed Ft. Is there a chance to change this?

I´ll do another try but first I have to learn how to use the C4.

Thanks a lot for this outstanding Task.

Martin

D-6945_Task 1_2010-06-07_1617.zip

well done - that was a very good flight. I posted it up to everytrail.com. That was an awesome final glide... the main use of the C4 is to display the 'expected arrival height' so you'd find it very useful there.

In general the instruments display feet/meters depending on your FSX settings - certainly a mission or saved flight cannot change that.

B21

Thanks B21 for the compliment.

This everytrail thing is interesting will have a watch at this. I tried the task by using the exceptet arrival height. I was 8min´s slower  :unsure: But I´l give it a try it´s nice I think.

Greetings

Martin