Novice Discus Questions

DAB

I am really enjoying learning the new Discus, in part because I don't have any real glider experience to speak of. Might as well start at the top!

Two questions. First, any suggestions for what weather settings I should use while exploring the glider? What conditions are most favorable?

Second, I have the Austria Pro scenery package. Can anyone recommend a few top spots for flying the Discus there? Ideally, maybe recommend starting from airport X, traveling along direction Y or to landmark Z, and then returning back to X or landing at a different airport X'.

I really appreciate any suggestions!

DAB

Hi DAB (real name?)

In general, fair weather with nice cumulus clouds. Enhance your weather with cumulusX! This gives you nice thermals and ridge, if the conditions are set up correctly.

Look into the manual of it to set it up right.

The best weather to start is a calm day with some wind towards a mountain/hill.

It is more easy in the sim to use the ridge than use thermals.

Location, hmm... Zell am See would be nice.

But I never flew there, so I can't advise something in austria.

Best regards, Joachim

I am really enjoying learning the new Discus, in part because I don't have any real glider experience to speak of. Might as well start at the top!

Two questions. First, any suggestions for what weather settings I should use while exploring the glider? What conditions are most favorable?

Second, I have the Austria Pro scenery package. Can anyone recommend a few top spots for flying the Discus there? Ideally, maybe recommend starting from airport X, traveling along direction Y or to landmark Z, and then returning back to X or landing at a different airport X'.

I really appreciate any suggestions!

DAB

Get the Austria missions at http://carrier.csi.cam.ac.uk/forsterlewis/soaring/sim/fsx/missions/

They are all centered on Zell am See, and are real good.

Also, I have flown west from Innesbruck, then south and then east to Bolgano, and then north back to Innesbruck. Look this up on Google, using "terrain", and just stay in the valleys. It's 342km., as I recall.

binky9