Newbie Questions Please

rjsagel

Hello,

I have tried gliders a few times for fun. The new Aerosoft addon has me really interested.

A few newbie questions please:

1. I cannot start my instruments on my BM unless I start the engine. I turn on the power and the "gps" comes on. But the main instrument button does not power up the digital system. After I start the engine, the instruments can be powered up. Am I missing something here?

2. Is a real glider really this reactive to the environment? I use the included software to Winch and the SIM_PROBE. I don't understand the sim_probe readout number much - what do they really tell me about ridge lift?

3. Lastly, for now, how long a winch start before engine start is used? I am using 3000 for the winch and then starting the engine on the BM. How much altitude should I shoot for so that I can practice. I am using the MIFFLIN example from the forum as a start point.

Thanks in advance,

Ron Sagel

Hi Ron,

1. Have you installes the update 1.01?

2. Gliders are very reactiv to the environment. They are designed to be. You must feel the updraft and use it.

Simprobe is only useable together with CumulusX!, but since version 1.5 it is no longer needed.

3. The BM can be launched from ground on its own power. For the BT 200 meters are at least recommended.

Does this help?

Joachim

Hi Ron,

1. Have you installes the update 1.01?

2. Gliders are very reactiv to the environment. They are designed to be. You must feel the updraft and use it.

Simprobe is only useable together with CumulusX!, but since version 1.5 it is no longer needed.

3. The BM can be launched from ground on its own power. For the BT 200 meters are at least recommended.

Does this help?

Joachim

Hello,

The download that I received is Version 1.01.

I do not understand the Cumulusx/sim-probe answer you gave - What is no longer needed?

Thank you,

Ron Sagel

Simprobe is no longer needed.

Regarding 1, please make sure, that your battery is full. Don't empty it with another airplane.

Please choose the cessna, start the engine, and then choose the discus and try again. It should work then.

Joachim

Hey rjsagel, we moved the ridgelift function of sim_probe into the freeware CumulusX! from Peter Luerkens, so if you have CumulusX! v1.5 onwards you have no need to install sim_probe for ridge lift. If sim_probe *is* installed, CumulusX will now ignore the ridgelift numbers coming from it even if it appears to be working. Peter and I collaborated on the ridgelift feature in CumulusX and its at least as good if not better than sim_probe.

Sim_probe *does* have one additional feature that you might want to keep for now... it *automatically* records a standard IGC-format logfile of your flight (see the documentation) so you can share your soaring achievement with others, particularly comparing times to complete a cross-country task. E.g. by uploading the log file to www.everytrail.com. This logfile function has absolutely nothing to do with the ridgelift calculation but it still works. In due course I'll re-issue sim_probe purely as an IGC logger (with some improvements I'm working on). And it'll still be free.

So in summary, there's no harm in having sim_probe installed and you will get the IGC logger function, but it's ridgelift calculation is now redundant.

B21

Hello,

Thank you for all of the help. With your info and a REREAD of the manual I have my new glider/sailplane humming!

The startup that you suggested works fine - all instruments power up. I am using the "Complex Aircraft Startup" from Flight One (I believe) to get started. It loads the ultralight with the engines running.

Rereading the manual helped a lot - noticed that I had not renamed the suggested file (that conflicts with the CUMULUSX). This made a huge change in my flights - a lot of lift in places that I would expect it!

Anyway - I'm off to practice and Thank You Again!!!!

Cheers,

Ron Sagel

NEAR KCHS